diy solar

diy solar

6000XP Settings for bypass

So, is the current implementation of the green function a "bug" or "feature"? What are the possible use cases for the function as it is implemented now? @EG4_Jared ?

I wish the "green function" to be implemented in a different way - if the inverter load reading is less than 60W for more than 10 minutes and AC power is available, then switch to bypass mode. When load becomes >60W for 10 minutes switch back to EPS.
If AC power is not available, then... I don't know :) Perhaps the current implementation - just shut off the inverter to not discharge batteries.
I'm pretty sure the intention behind the green function is for a purely off-grid system where maybe you don't run any loads overnight and don't want the inverter to stay running, burning through the batteries with internal consumption when you aren't needing any power from it. I know other inverters with similar function will "wake up" when load demand comes back, but yeah the 6000xp manual isn't explicit about that. I agree though that it would be nice if when the inverter shuts down it would switch to bypass. Maybe it does - but I'm not sure. My loads never drop below 300 watts 24x7 so I haven't really tested the green function as I don't need it. But perhaps it functions as you are describing. Someone else will need to test and confirm this as my system is always powering a lot of loads in my house and it's not really available for testing...

The best way I have found is this:
1) Enable Battery ECO mode
2) In the Discharge Settings section, set the On Grid EOD SOC% to 90%, which is the highest threshold it will accept.
3) Set the AC Charge End Battery SOC to like 2% lower - like 88%
4) Set the AC Charge Start Batter SOC to slightly lower - like 87%

If the battery is currently higher than 90%, the inverter will run your loads until it gets to 1% below the On Grid EOD SOC%, so 89%, then the system will switch to grid bypass. You'll see the grid power and load power match exactly at this point with no draw on the battery. If the battery drifts any lower due to internal BMS consumption, etc., then if it ever gets down a few percent it will draw from the grid to keep the battery from slowly discharging more and bring it back to 88% and stop pulling from the grid for charging.

Sounds a little weird, but it should work as you are wanting. If the grid fails the inverter will take over the loads.

The "working modes" doc shared here - https://diysolarforum.com/posts/1007676/ - is very useful.
This is how I have my inverters setup also. I have no solar (yet) and am using them as a UPS. I can concur that the system does shift to Grid Mode when battery SOC% hits 89%.

Did a "production test" last night as I lost power for about 30 minutes. The inverter flipped to UPS Mode and ran from batteries until power returned when it switched back to Grid mode. Worked great!

@EG4_Jared It would be great if we were able to run in bypass mode with the batteries at 100% to maximize runtime without Grid. Is there a way to get an RFE into EG4 for that functionality?

Last edited:
@EG4_Jared One thing I failed to mention above is that the switchover from Grid to UPS mode took 2-3 seconds. It was a noticeable power outage. The switch back was seamless. Is this expected behavior?

@EG4_Jared One thing I failed to mention above is that the switchover from Grid to UPS mode took 2-3 seconds. It was a noticeable power outage. The switch back was seamless. Is this expected behavior?
It's certainly not expected. Mine switches from bypass to the inverter and back again with no noticeable interruption in power. No light flicker - nothing. My PC UPS does click and log the very brief power interruption (~10ms), but that's the only place I can even detect the switch over. Other appliances and lights getting power don't have any apparent interruption...

@EG4_Jared One thing I failed to mention above is that the switchover from Grid to UPS mode took 2-3 seconds. It was a noticeable power outage. The switch back was seamless. Is this expected behavio

It's certainly not expected. Mine switches from bypass to the inverter and back again with no noticeable interruption in power. No light flicker - nothing. My PC UPS does click and log the very brief power interruption (~10ms), but that's the only place I can even detect the switch over. Other appliances and lights getting power don't have any apparent interruption...
This is a different scenario. You are talking about switch from bypass to inverter, but @BrianVeg talks about AC power outage to inverter.

This is how I have my inverters setup also. I have no solar (yet) and am using them as a UPS. I can concur that the system does shift to Grid Mode when battery SOC% hits 89%.

Did a "production test" last night as I lost power for about 30 minutes. The inverter flipped to UPS Mode and ran from batteries until power returned when it switched back to Grid mode. Worked great!

@EG4_Jared It would be great if we were able to run in bypass mode with the batteries at 100% to maximize runtime without Grid. Is there a way to get an RFE into EG4 for that functionality?

I'll definitely pass that along. As for the UPS mode taking 2-3 seconds, would you be able to DM your station name and serial number for the inverter so that I may look at this?

Back