diy solar

diy solar

6000XP Settings for bypass

buckza

I just installed the 6000XP and EP Cube.

I do not have solar panels. Will only use the system for emergency backup if the grid goes down and use a 3kw generator as backup.

I have the jnverter set to start charging from grid when at 20% and charge to 100%.

Is it possible to set the inverter to keep on supplying load from the grid. And only supply power from the battery if the grid goes down?

I guess I can turn the batteries off until needed but that defeats the purpose to auto switch to emergency power. But not viable when I'm not home.

I also like to know what is the charging amps to set to nit degrade the batteries.

I have it set to 30A at the moment and it is taking a long time to charge the batteries.

Why didn’t you just get the EP Cube inverter and battery set? What’s the capacity of your battery?

Use Setting 15 to be on all the time.

My mistake. I did not get the EP Cube. I got the EG4 PowerPro Wallmount 14.3kwh battery

Is it possible to set the inverter to keep on supplying load from the grid. And only supply power from the battery if the grid goes down?
Three setting you need to set:
AC First time block to start at 00:00 and end at 23:59

Second is Ac Charging to SOC and Third is AC Charging time block to 00:00 start and 23:59 end.

This will force the inverter to always use AC First (grid pass through) until there is a grid failure. The second/third setting tells the inverter to charge from Grid at any time according to your SOC settings.

Three setting you need to set:
AC First time block to start at 00:00 and end at 23:59

Second is Ac Charging to SOC and Third is AC Charging time block to 00:00 start and 23:59 end.

This will force the inverter to always use AC First (grid pass through) until there is a grid failure. The second/third setting tells the inverter to charge from Grid at any time according to your SOC settings.
Thanks so much. Made the change and will monitor.

What should I set the charging amps to? It is on the default if 30A.

What should be the safe max to set it to? In a grid down situation I assume it would make sense to get the batteries charged asap when power comes back on.

Thanks so much. Made the change and will monitor.

What should I set the charging amps to? It is on the default if 30A.

What should be the safe max to set it to? In a grid down situation I assume it would make sense to get the batteries charged asap when power comes back on.

Depends on the situation

If power has been restored and you’re confident that you won’t need battery soon, then 30A is fine.

You can get away with 100A max, if you need to charge the battery faster.

Gotcha. I made the settings and charged up to 100% but it switch we d back to battery as before.

Here are my settings.
Screenshot_20240218_213542_EG4 Monitor.jpg

The best way I have found is this:
1) Enable Battery ECO mode
2) In the Discharge Settings section, set the On Grid EOD SOC% to 90%, which is the highest threshold it will accept.
3) Set the AC Charge End Battery SOC to like 2% lower - like 88%
4) Set the AC Charge Start Batter SOC to slightly lower - like 87%

If the battery is currently higher than 90%, the inverter will run your loads until it gets to 1% below the On Grid EOD SOC%, so 89%, then the system will switch to grid bypass. You'll see the grid power and load power match exactly at this point with no draw on the battery. If the battery drifts any lower due to internal BMS consumption, etc., then if it ever gets down a few percent it will draw from the grid to keep the battery from slowly discharging more and bring it back to 88% and stop pulling from the grid for charging.

Sounds a little weird, but it should work as you are wanting. If the grid fails the inverter will take over the loads.

The "working modes" doc shared here - https://diysolarforum.com/posts/1007676/ - is very useful.

Gotcha. I made the settings and charged up to 100% but it switch we d back to battery as before.

Here are my settings.
View attachment 196617
Did you also change the AC First time block. This is what keeps it in grid bypass after charge so your batteries remain at a high SOC. Also on charge rate, I like to have a lower rate. At the top of the charge it gives the BMS time to balance out the batteries. I have mine set on 20a I think.

I just installed the 6000XP and EP Cube.

I do not have solar panels. Will only use the system for emergency backup if the grid goes down and use a 3kw generator as backup.

I have the jnverter set to start charging from grid when at 20% and charge to 100%.

I guess I can turn the batteries off until needed but that defeats the purpose to auto switch to emergency power. But not viable when I'm not home.

I also like to know what is the charging amps to set to nit degrade the batteries.

I have it set to 30A at the moment and it is taking a long time to charge the batteries.
The Utility> Solar> battery configuration on page 4 should be helpful for this case.

Attachments

• 6000XP working mode Quickly settings.pdf
    457.7 KB · Views: 42
Thanks so much everyone for the very quick response and help. It all looks good now.

I do see, now and then, there is a very low wattage discharge like 4-15W.

One other question. What does the eco and green mode means?

I also do not see on the app where the BMS time is to balance the batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240220_093423_Samsung capture.jpg
    Screenshot_20240220_093423_Samsung capture.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks so much everyone for the very quick response and help. It all looks good now.

I do see, now and then, there is a very low wattage discharge like 4-15W.

One other question. What does the eco and green mode means?

I also do not see on the app where the BMS time is to balance the batteries.

Battery ECO Enable: When enabled, the inverter will switch to bypass mode if the battery has reached the On-Grid EOD value and AC charging is disabled. The inverter will stay in bypass mode until the battery is being charged again. Switch time can be up to 15ms.

Green Function Enable: When enabled, if the inverter load reading is less than 60W for more than 10 minutes, the inverter output will be cut off.

Last edited:
Will this automatically switch to bypass mode? And what will happen if there will be load demand?

Battery Eco will automatically switch to bypass mode while Green Function will shut off the output. As far as I am aware with Green Function, the inverter will manually have to be woken up, however, I will see if I can find documentation on this.

Battery Eco will automatically switch to bypass mode while Green Function will shut off the output. As far as I am aware with Green Function, the inverter will manually have to be woken up, however, I will see if I can find documentation on this.
Yeah for that reason I turn the battery ECO mode on and leave the green function turned off as I don't ever want the inverter to shut itself down.

Yeah for that reason I turn the battery ECO mode on and leave the green function turned off as I don't ever want the inverter to shut itself down.
So, is the current implementation of the green function a "bug" or "feature"? What are the possible use cases for the function as it is implemented now? @EG4_Jared ?

I wish the "green function" to be implemented in a different way - if the inverter load reading is less than 60W for more than 10 minutes and AC power is available, then switch to bypass mode. When load becomes >60W for 10 minutes switch back to EPS.
If AC power is not available, then... I don't know :) Perhaps the current implementation - just shut off the inverter to not discharge batteries.

Back