diy solar

diy solar

DIY Anker Solix / Goal Zero Yeti Pro

scottnichol

So, I've seen systems like the Anker Solix and Goal Zero Yeti Pro which are clearly designed as back-up systems for power outages. But when I see their integration into your home panel with a separate circuit panel that ties into your main panel, it got me to thinking that with some solar panels to keep the system charged, I could use it to just run several circuits in my home more or less continuously to offset some of my utility power.

But the vendors are warning me that, while you could do that, you would be cycling the battery and shorten its life.

And all that got me to thinking about building a small system to start. Maybe something like1200W of solar to start, some batteries, and a charger/inverter that could power a couple of circuits. Over time, I could add more solar and batteries to offset more utility power.

Ideally, it would have an automatic transfer switch to provide power from the batteries/inverter when there's enough charge and switch back to utility power when depleted.

I have a small system that I built that does this for just my office. 400W of solar panels into a 40A charge controller, 200Ah battery and 1000W inverter. Also have a simple automatic transfer switch to switch back and forth between inverter and utility power. But I would like to do something like this that would built out in the garage and tied into my panel.

Any DIY guides for a system like this would be appreciated so I can start my research. Not really interested in feeding power back to the grid at this point.

Thanks!
Scott

Basically you need an All-in-one inverter/charger. It has an ATS built in.

Lots of YouTube videos around on how people accomplished this. Can't think of anything specific at the moment, but search around.

diy solar

diy solar
Back