diy solar

diy solar

Diy battery voltage increase

GuyS

Hi all, I have a diy 48v 320ah battery bank and have just bought a solax hybrid inverter. I need 80v min for the inverter to work with the battery. I have 4.7kw of solar so need to be able to discharge and charge the batteries using the inverter.
Is there anything I can do to increase the voltage, like a bidirectional buck boost converter for example. Or is adding cells the only way to reliably increase voltage.

Thanks

I don't think a buck boost is possible and most BMS's can't be put in series.

With all due respect, why did you buy an incompatible HV inverter rather then the Solax LV version?

I don't think a buck boost is possible and most BMS's can't be put in series.

With all due respect, why did you buy an incompatible HV inverter rather then the Solax LV version?
Rookie error, I did a lot of research, noted down which one I wanted (was the lv) came back to it weeks later, found the one I wanted (except it was missing lv after it) I didn't notice, ordered and installed. Battery wouldn't work, trying to figure out why and realised I had bought the hv version. Didn't say hv in the name so I missed it. Buying the lv and selling hv is option B....

Another alternative is upgrading your DIY 48v battery to 96v, but that's a totally different game...

Once you cross the 48V line a lot of things change and one of those is how inspectors look at you... Ohhh there's a nasty roadtrip !
There are no buck boosters that would handle any Inverter... the amperage drawn just smokes those things...

Unfortunately, you are far better off changing that inverter for the proper model. The vendor "may" be understanding and offer some type of resolution, its worth following up nice & politely, because it was YOUR error and not theirs. A correct approach can often elicit a positive outcome. Good Luck

Rookie error, I did a lot of research, noted down which one I wanted (was the lv) came back to it weeks later, found the one I wanted (except it was missing lv after it) I didn't notice, ordered and installed.
Oh dear - that's bad luck. As @Steve_S said, maybe the vendor will offer some resolution?

and one of those is how inspectors look at you.
OP is is UK, we don't have inspectors for solar installations - just the inverter has to be type approved to connect to the grid :)

Go with option B. It will make life much easier and safer.
Yes - I'd do this if I were you.

Back