diy solar

diy solar

DIY BYD Blade Battery Pack 7.066 kWh for $1,220 ??

"With a wooden from or something equivalent" is a great suggestion. I am asking them how the cells will be shipped.

If not with them, then this other vendor on Alibaba has this picture in their Packing and Delivery tab:
View attachment 77258
I would only trust a full box with each vertically shipped cell foam insulated from the neighbor, packed sideways. Foam on bottom foam on top in a Full box with a plywood lid. The above is not by far good enough.

Realistically these cells have only the advantage of the shape so you can put small spacers and use air to cool them.
power density looks the same, should be since it is the same chemistry.
The only noticeable difference is the charge rates, 1.5C comparing to 1C, again this more geared towards the automobile sector to charge faster.
At home they just look like a pain to use to be honest...

Best way to make use of these cells IMO is to send a 16s Construction CAD drawing over to some Chinese experienced handy man in Shen-zheng and then have him ship the finished welded + BMS:ed structure padded inside a hard wooden box back to you... Shipping these cells loose over half the world seems like inviting an economic night mare to happen.

wow, these are perfect for a van or RV conversion for saving space. Has anyone bought these yet?

So I had another thought, how problematic is compression on such long cells? you can imagine them swelling heavily on the sides
So the case design would be interesting

Last edited:
Enershare sells customized BYD Blade configurations (4S, 8S, 16S, 16S3P, 16S4P.... ) wherein they will weld busbars directly and you receive it complete. 50 MOQ. Quantity is not 50 cells, but 50 of what you asked them to make.

I honestly was about to place an order but the MOQ hit me hard...
1654694622698.png

That is a stupidly high price for 14kwh... What am I missing? Or is this just an example of what can be done with the modules?
It is expensive because this one is a novelty pack using the famed BYD Blade Cells. You know all the hype and media coverage, the torture, puncture, high heat and egg cooking test.

But if you are interested in a DIY project, I believe Ducan sells them.
My supplier just received an email from Shenzhen Zhongtong of new batch. Price went up a bit though $43 each.

With all the recent talks on EVE280K "B" marking and drama with fake / used cells, it would be more reasonable to use Blade cells. My reasoning is that, it comes in a long form factor and I bet only BYD makes them. Then again, it could be possible that BYD are already pulling out used Blade cells made/used 2 years ago and there were the ones being sold...

I bet this BYD Battery BOX HV uses these kind of cells commonly found on busses.
1656633604089.png
Many young Chinese battery pack manufacturers are using these batteries.

I was looking at these last week, they have to be used or reject cells, as getting hands on BYD blade cells is almost impossible.

I would imagine that we will see new BYD cells in 18 months, as i believe they are building another 3 cell manufacturing plants at the moment.

For a static battery power pack, i think they will work, space is tight for mobile use, such as a campervan or RV.

As its been pointed out, the Delivery guys will destroy these due to length, even with double boxing i have my doubts.

Still they look like a great cell
Real BYD blade cells being used now are much higher capacity 202Ah according to...
I wonder if they are selling off the 138Ah 'early versions' at low prices?
Perhaps these are the rejected cells when they were ramping up the process?
In any case the $ per Wh figures look attractive for static use at home. (assuming they are close to 138Ah!)

Why don't they add NTC probes on every one of the cells?
I understand that there is one or two NTC for the pack temperature, but not for the individual cells (connected to the terminal or the body of each cell).
Wouldn't the log files of the temp of every cell be a good indicator in case any particular cell is going bad?

I understand that there is one or two NTC for the pack temperature, but not for the individual cells (connected to the terminal or the body of each cell).
Wouldn't the log files of the temp of every cell be a good indicator in case any particular cell is going bad?
But then you'll also need a BMS that's able to monitor all of those cells.
You're buying _cells_ not _batteries_. When you're buying cells and consequently building batteries it's up to you to implement whatever safety measures you see as required.
Nobody stops you from adding a probe to each cell. Again, it's a cell, not a battery.

Per-Cell Temperature and Voltage monitoring is best practice for both DIY and Prebuilt batteries.

Preferably with all that data available to the operator/user via a data port.

Per cell temperature monitoring is great and can catch problems way earlier as compared to a single or a few thermometers.

A single cell overheating can quickly activate any relevant safety measures.

I've personally seen a battery bank self destruct due to the temperature probe being too far from the cell that overheated.

Per-Cell Temperature and Voltage monitoring is best practice for both DIY and Prebuilt batteries.

Preferably with all that data available to the operator/user via a data port.

Per cell temperature monitoring is great and can catch problems way earlier as compared to a single or a few thermometers.

A single cell overheating can quickly activate any relevant safety measures.

I've personally seen a battery bank self destruct due to the temperature probe being too far from the cell that overheated.
I absolutely agree! My point is that as a battery builder it’s your job, not the cell manufacturers’

That's a great idea. DO you know of any BMS that incorporates this?

Back