diy solar

diy solar

DIY garage system problems

Czousel

I have a 8 100w solar panels, renology rover 60 amp mppt controller,renology 3000 w pure sine wave inverter 12 Vic 110vac, 7 950 amp supper start standardbred flooded batteries , I was using this system to just power my feelers in my garage recently when I hook up freezers even though system is showing 100% on charge controller, the charge plummets immediately to zero and my inverter low volt cutoff kicks on ?

Sounds like 1 or more of your batteries is bad. Have you done SG tests?

It could be a number of things. If your inverter is going into low voltage, then that implies that the voltage at the inverter is low when the freezers are trying to start. It could be your wire size is to small causing too much voltage drop between the batteries and the inverter. It could be that your freezer compressor is too much for your inverter.

I would get a multi-meter and check the voltage right at the battery terminals before it goes into low voltage cut-off and then while it is in low voltage cut-off. Then do the same at the inverter terminals.

With that information then you should be able to determine the problem.

It could be batteries, wires, connections or inverter.

I put a moss ats in the mix , when inverter cycled down it didn’t switch over because it was still reading 14 v on battery , this got me leaning towards inverter?

You said you have standard FLA batteries. Using a hydrometer you do a test of specific gravity (SG) to determine acid level which corresponds to capacity. With out good maintenance standard FLA batteries are a poor choice for Solar power storage. Even with good maintenance it takes a really good Deep Cycle style to get many years of use from.

LA batteries can show a surface voltage level looking like they are fully charged but once you put any load on them they drop like a rock. This is in line with the OP symptoms you report. However since you now mention a Moes Transfer switch recently added your problem may be with it.

So going to change to lithium batteries ,due to cost will probably build it over time what is a good choice ? Is there any problem adding 100 ah over time?

Aww gravity sound test , these are sealed batteries, but I did find out these are not deep cycle like I though so sounds like one or more of them may have gone bad
The only sealed batteries are AGM, or VRLA.

Just because you don’t see fill ports doesn’t mean you can open the caps and fill them.

Back