diy solar

diy solar

DIY Powerwall

Ale

Thought you folks might be interested in this DIY Powerwall setup.
Since this was an experiment i didn't want to invest a lot of $ so obtained used components.
It's been successful so will feel good about investing in upgraded components in the future.
Components are:
Used Magnum MS4448PAE 120/240 inverter (Charging function not working and not connected to battery)
4 Used PowerSonic PG 12V200 FR AGM 8D size batteries. Have sat around for a while but testing indicates they are OK.
175 Amp DC Circuit Breaker
Connects to the main electrical panel through genset connetction using mechanical interlock.
Works well and can power many of our circuits. Will use mainly for smaller loads when grid power is out. Though it will run many larger loads (mini split heatpump, microwave, even heat pump type water heater, etc) they would use up the battery faster. Haven't tested how long the batteries will last before needing recharge yet.
Battery would be recharged using genset and battery charger. Of course the hope is that by having backup systems the grid will never go down!
Operating Procedure:
--Turn off ALL breakers in main elecrical panel including main breaker.
--Plug power cord from inverter into genset/powerwall socket.
--Slide down mechanical interlock covering main breaker and flip on the exposed interlock 30 amp breaker.
--Turn on the inverter.
--Flip on only breakers in the main panel for circuits you want to use.

When grid power is off the grid tie solar panels (micro inverter type) are disconnected but there may be a way to utilize them through the inverter to charge the batteries - but that's way beyond my ability to comprehend. Friends who know about this stuff have taken a deep dive down the rabbit hole of "AC Coupled systems" and it might be work but i'm way too chicken to try it!

Attachments

• DIY powerwall.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back