diy solar

diy solar

DIY RV Solar project

TankFish

I'm getting to a point where I can start sharing my progress on my RV. I have a 42' 5th wheel that I plan to use primarily solar power. You have to pay electric at most spots, and we are full time RVers, so I wanted a way to gouge at the high CA electric bills. Here is what I have done so far.

10 200w 24v Rich Solar mono panels mounted on galvanized strut rails. I didn't want to put the panels directly into the roof because, I have seen the damage they cause when pulled up to replace a bad panel. Now I can easily take them out as needed with just a wrench.

20210221_125431.jpg

20210222_084938.jpg

I ordered 16 280ah LiFePO4 cells off of Alibaba. Used a source recommended from here. Hit them right during their holiday so, took an additional 2 week. About 10 to 12 weeks to get them. They came all at 3.29v. I charged them up separately and load tested each one. They all hit 282ah so, I'm pleased with the cells I got. I took them all back to 3.65v and left them sit in parallel for 48 hours. Let them self balance out and then charged them back to 3.65v. Working on the BMS's right now. I did receive one from Overkill but, as you all probably know, poor Steve is backed up pretty bad and I may have to wait a month or two for the second BMS. I made some custom boxes out of 1/2" sanded ply. Built them to fit a regulated heating pad below each cell pack and lined them all with 1/4" insulating foam. I then used some packing foam on each end to give them a little more stable cushion for when we move the RV down the road. The ends are 1/4" higher than the sides so I could add 1/4" door seal to run the wires out of the sides of the box but, keeping the them temp in or out. BMS wires will be ran out of the top. Used a 3/4" deck wire grommet for those. Then I had to add my country and service of course. Semper Fi!

20210413_082626.jpg
20210415_120430.jpg
20210415_143530.jpg

I'll add more to the build once I'm done. Thanks for the look! Comment below if you have any questions or want to yell at me!

Nice. Looks like a 560 ah 24 volt lithium bank.

I will be staying out at San O’free (Spelling). That’s the USMC Base that has the RV camping on the beach.

Nice. Looks like a 560 ah 24 volt lithium bank.

I will be staying out at San O’free (Spelling). That’s the USMC Base that has the RV camping on the beach.
Yup, two 24v 280's. Should last awhile if we don't hit the AC's much.

Oh yeah, Pendleton. I believe the Del Mar camp grounds has beach sites as well. Pendleton has 3 RV parks. None are long term though, like 90 days max a year I believe. I'm in 29 Palms now, they have long term but, we won't be here much longer. If we get Pendleton, we'll be off base due to the length of stay restrictions.

Semper Fi!
I was stationed at Pendleton from 2010-2014.

Can you provide the source for Alibaba?
Im interested to see what other components you use such as the controllers, inverters, 24v-12v step down etc.

Semper Fi!

I don't think you are allowed to post external links. It goes against the forum rules I believe. I'll send you a PM with the info. I'll post it here if a mod says it's alright.

My full setup is...

2x Victron Multiplus 24v 3000w
Victron Orion 24v to 12v step down
Victron Link power in (cheaper than the distro. Just doesn't have lights or bolts for fuses. Just added my own bolts to save 200, I don't need lights)
Victron MPPT 150/70
20210426_155214.jpg
10x Rich Solar 24v panels
20210426_155040.jpg
Victron CCGX
20210426_155348.jpg

With the panels flat, I'm pulling about 900w. Tilted at 33* (well as close as I can get them) I pull about 1600 peak. Our position in the park isn't south side facing, kind of at an angle so, I won't get an accurate reading until we get down to SD and I have a spot where the side of my rig is south facing.

Without running the AC's, the solar sustains the trailer just fine. No shore needed at all. If I run one AC for a few hours we seem to sustain as well. We tried both AC's for 5 hours and we started to get low on power. So, hopefully when we get down to SD and I have a good facing to the sun and a good angle, we can be completely off grid. SD is also much cooler than 29 so, less AC running.

Attachments

• 20210422_144622.jpg
    20210422_144622.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210421_125556.jpg
    20210421_125556.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210421_111708.jpg
    20210421_111708.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210418_142156.jpg
    20210418_142156.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210418_152547.jpg
    20210418_152547.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 38
While I am not a veteran (thank you for your service), I have been fortunate to enjoy both San Onofre and Del Mar beach campgrounds on Camp Pendleton. Two of the nicest beach campgrounds around, if you have access. I highly recommend them to those that can get in.

Nice rig, similar setup to what I'm building. I have a 36 foot Super C, but will be doing about 2kW of solar. Same setup with the inverters, Orion, etc... but I'm running an Electrodacus BMS and am planning to pull the diesel genset to install a mini split. s

I'm not a mod but see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/official-forum-code-of-conduct-and-terms-of-service.2216/ where it seems you just need to avoid affiliate links. People post links to products (and other resources) here all of the time.
Fair enough. I'll post the link. If it isn't allowed, hopefully a mod just removes the link and doesn't ban me ?
While I am not a veteran (thank you for your service), I have been fortunate to enjoy both San Onofre and Del Mar beach campgrounds on Camp Pendleton. Two of the nicest beach campgrounds around, if you have access. I highly recommend them to those that can get in.

Nice rig, similar setup to what I'm building. I have a 36 foot Super C, but will be doing about 2kW of solar. Same setup with the inverters, Orion, etc... but I'm running an Electrodacus BMS and am planning to pull the diesel genset to install a mini split. s
I agree. They are nice sites. It has been a few years, well a decade since I've been down there. I'm sure they are still just as nice.

Thank you! We already dislike this rig. We went cheap and bought a Forest River. As full timers, I do not recommend Forest River. They are very cheaply built. Although, you get what you pay for. If we get a new rig, we will fork over the extra for a more quality built rig.

Good luck with the build. I was no where close to a solar builder, I have learned a lot. 95% of the information I learned on this forum asking questions. I did not include anything for a generator other than the stock transfer. I'm hoping we can stay 100% Solar. So far we can, if we don't run both AC's over 3 or 4 hours.

Here is the Alibaba link to the vendor I used. I reached out to him today, and he is out of stock of the 280ah batteries I bought. He does have other batteries or other sizes and types. I cannot comment on the other vendors on the site, only this vendor. He sent videos of testing the batteries, kept me in the loop with shipping and customs. He was fairly priced. We've also kept in touch after, as he will be providing the batteries for my home solar build down the road. The gentlemen I dealt with goes by James Mo. He may shoot you a deal if you mention I sent you over. May not? Worth a shot.

I noticed that you solar panel mounting that you used hand knobs instead of bolts. Whether you did this for convenience or because you tilt the panels make sure that you have a cotter pin or something like that so the knob does not loosen all the way out. A friend of mine lost a panel off of his Class A at 70 mph this summer. He had thumb screws so he could tilt the panels and they came out. Maybe add a cable tether to each panel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 6.41.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 6.41.56 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
I noticed that you solar panel mounting that you used hand knobs instead of bolts. Whether you did this for convenience or because you tilt the panels make sure that you have a cotter pin or something like that so the knob does not loosen all the way out. A friend of mine lost a panel off of his Class A at 70 mph this summer. He had thumb screws so he could tilt the panels and they came out. Maybe add a cable tether to each panel.
That looks like a kit put out for RVs by renogy for tilting a panel. I think those are fine if they are checked frequently. I do think that if you find yourself never tilting the panels, then those ought to be replaced by screws with Loctite. I bought my tilt panels and used them once. Much easier to add more panels to make up for the loss then climb on the roof each time we move somewhere and put them up and down, also same for the frequent 35 MPH+ windstorms that came from nowhere.

I really like the rail idea. Can you shore a little more info about that please?

What do you think of the Rich panels? I've been considering those.

How did you wire your panels? I can't seem to come up with a way the MPPT 150-70 is sufficient for your setup.

Back