diy solar

diy solar

DIY Solar, Micro Inverters, Flat Roof Mounted, 3d Printed Mounts, AC Coupled Solis + PylonTech

bugone

Hi all,

Last summer I added solar to our house on an easily accessed flat garage roof + a couple more on our shed. Keeping the flat roof water tight was a priority, I wanted to avoid drilling into the roof, or adding any significant weight to it. I couldn't find anything available commercially that was suitable, so, I decided to design and 3d print my own mounting mechanisms.

Models.jpg

The mounts are all printed in PETG with thick walls, with dense infill. Midway through printing I switched from grey to clear - mostly because the grey stuff was awful to print and I figured the clear would be better for not absorbing sunlight.

The panels needed different mounts to fit the different locations I had available on the roof - but all use a common clip design - so I was able to bulk print the clips. The designs were focussed on maximum strength, without using a kg of material each, and being able to be printed without supports. The big ones took 36 hours each.

Mounts.jpg

The clips and mounts are held together with a removable 8mm steel bolt. Where they're against brick they're bolted to the wall with a 30mm washer to space the load over the plastic. Where they're sitting on the membrane, they're glued (waterproof exterior glue). The shed they're screwed with a bit of sealant - because it's an old shed. Not had any water coming through though.

So far they've survived 50mph winds and the hottest day in UK history without any issues.

Panels.jpg

Last weekend I've added a Solis RAI 5G AC Coupled Inverter with a PylonTech US5000 battery. Installation was relatively straightforward - only complication being that I only had 2 spare slots in my Solar Consumer box, so had to swap out a 3 slot energy display for a 2 slot display to be able to fit the Acrel meter. That and the joys of Solis Cloud o_O

SolisRAIPylon.jpg

Ground wire and battery => inverter cabling still needs a tidy when I can get hold of some crimping tools and I'm waiting for a T piece of trim for the trunking. The randomly clipped cable is a ring camera, not related to the solar.

Welcome to the Forums!

Love to see DIY solutions! How did the cost of DIY printing compare to say aluminum angle irons strapped to the wall? If UV is a problem for the plastic, couldn't you put a coat of paint over them? On the A-Frames (right-most picture of 3 picture-panel), are they just sitting on the roof or are they weighted down with bricks or something?

Welcome to the Forums!

Love to see DIY solutions! How did the cost of DIY printing compare to say aluminum angle irons strapped to the wall? If UV is a problem for the plastic, couldn't you put a coat of paint over them? On the A-Frames (right-most picture of 3 picture-panel), are they just sitting on the roof or are they weighted down with bricks or something?
Hi.

The mounts for the panels on the right are glued down using an outdoor waterproof adhesive. The bases for those panel mounts have a wide surface area allowing a good sized area to bond.

I used PETG especially because UV isn't an issue. What I was concerned with is heat. The material will start to go soft at ~80c, so I didn't want them loosing strength on a very sunny day. Fortunately, it worked, as during the UKs hottest day on record they were cool the touch and still completely rigid.

Knocked myself a DIY 3d printed 'smart meter' for monitoring the Solis inverter today out of my daughters old broken Chinese mobile phone. Actually works really well with Techview.

BatteryMeter.jpg

Very nice.

I live in the city in the USA, so I’m pretty sure I’m limited to UL listed racking.

Those are kind of similar to: Dyno Raxx

View attachment 133557
We have similar systems available in the UK. Might work fine for a commercial concrete roof, but this is going onto a 70 year old domestic garage. I don't know what load it's capable of taking, and I don't intend to test it with a series of heavy weights.

Hello,

Please would it be possible to get your connection schematics on this install please.

Thanks!!

Back