diy solar

diy solar

do I need a fuse on battery cable sol-ark-15k SOK server rack

vsman

Middle of my project install. sol-ark-15k and SOK server rack (5 batteries). Do I need a fuse between the battery cables and the inverter? will the breakers in the inverter and battery itself be adequate?

The SolArk has a breaker and the individual server rack batteries each have a breaker so I don't think so. I use a Class T fuse on my pack but it is 42 kWhs and not divided unto multiple packs with individual circuit breakers.

To handle the surge current I have dual 0000 cables from my DC bus bars to the inverters. These inverters can surge to 480 amps. There are 2 250 amp DC breakers on the inverters. Yes the breakers should protect the wire from over current. I still put a 500 amp, oh sh!t fuse on each wire just after the bus bar. It's really to protect from possible shorts. Again the BMS should limit total current to 100 amps * 3 with 140 amp surges, but a couple fuses in the grand scheme of things isn't that expensive. Right now with three batteries the inverters will draw enough current to fault the batteries. So I added a soft start on the AC. No more battery faults. I'm planning to get two more batteries, to give me more off-grid time, and to insure that I can produce as much current as the Schneiders can consume. I'm confident I can add batteries and not smoke the wires.

So does SolArk have a DC breaker? If it does how many amps is it? What size wire are you using between the battery bus and the sol ark. On the 15K, I believe that they call for running two 0000 wires in parallel. I can't tell you what to do here, but when dealing with hundreds of amps, fuses seem wise even if not actually required. I think they were $70-80 each. Not breaking the bank compared to all the other stuff.

I still put a 500 amp, oh sh!t fuse on each wire just after the bus bar.
I don't know your layout so that may be where you have put the fuse. I put them as close to the battery as possible since the battery is the single largest source of current if there is a short.

diy solar

diy solar
Back