diy solar

diy solar

Do LiFePO4 batteries ever need to be fully charged?

efficientPV

Solar Addict
I just installed a 50AH Ampre Time battery at the end of a long run which is being charged from another battery. Consequently, it is unlikely this battery will ever see more than 13.6V when charging and with light duty it should never drop below 13.1V. Sounds like the Goldi Locks range. Off season it will be stored in a nice warm place at 13.2V for 7 months. I could cycle it at that time. Do I ever need to cycle it up to a full charge over 14V as the manual states?

An individual cell does not require to be fully charged, however most BMS's do not balance a cell until it exceeds 3.4v. You have to take the self contained 12v LFP to 14.2-14.5v periodically to keep the four cells balanced.

Failure to do so will cause the cells to progressively become more imbalanced in their state of charge.

All lithium batteries last longer if not full charged, if you have a BMS that allows final voltage and cell ballancing to be set , set it at 3.35-3.37v/cell, if you not go higher than that imballacing may occur in years at LFP, at LTO is faster, but i do not need to manually ballance long strings of 55s more than twice a year, if i select cell i need balance less than once a year.

The problem I'm having with my 24v 100ah Amper Time battery is that it drops from full charge as set in my 2424lv controller to 24.5 volts within a couple of minutes with only a load of 9 amps. The battery is only 1 year old. I have on a couple of occasions, disconnected my battery from the system and did a full charge offline with a slow 24v charger.
I'm wondering if I need to do a full discharge to 0v and then recharge the battery. I always thought you do not take Lithium batteries below 50% SOC if I don't want to ruin them.
Does anyone know if it is harmful to do a slow discharge of a Lithium battery to 0 volts? Basically, I would like to refresh this battery and get some life back into it.

Back