diy solar

diy solar

Do these 48v inverters really require 120+VDC Solar input?

novaleaf

Hello, noob here. I'm about to build my first (48v) system. so 2 questions

Following the build here https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html I see the EG4 3000 EHV-48's specs say solar input to be between 120-450VDC.

I have four 160w panels ( https://us.ecoflow.com/products/160w-portable-solar-panel?variant=31913800630345 ) that output 18.2 VMP, so in series that would be aprox 72V.
Q1: Does that mean the EG4 won't accept my charge?

If so, as an alternative I'm considering this Growatt as a replacement https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-48v-3kw-150vdc-stackable-off-grid-inverter/ which accepted between 60-115VDC.
Q2: Am I correct that the Growatt would be an appropriate buy for my panels?

Thank you much for reading/replying!

If you plan on future expansion of you system the eg4 is nice due to higher voltage capabilities if not go with the growatt, middle of the voltage range to 3/4 is a good range to be in just don’t go over the max voltage it will smoke it

If you plan on future expansion of you system the eg4 is nice due to higher voltage capabilities if not go with the growatt, middle of the voltage range to 3/4 is a good range to be in just don’t go over the max voltage it will smoke it
Thank you, the idea is to build a car-camping/emergency system to go with my existing panels, so I'll do the Growatt then.

I figure that I'll learn a lot with this "basic" setup and I'll do a off-grid workshop setup in a couple years based on what I learn.

Thank you, the idea is to build a car-camping/emergency system to go with my existing panels, so I'll do the Growatt then.

I figure that I'll learn a lot with this "basic" setup and I'll do an off-grid workshop setup in a couple years based on what I learn.
You can learn so much on this site just start reading different posts and it will help on future projects

For something like car-camping, it might be worthwhile to forget the AiO completely. Just get a regular charge controller, like an Epever Tracer 4210, then use that portable panel rig to charge a 12V battery. This will allow you to tap into your car's alternator for charging while you'll driving down the road. You can power a lot of automotive loads on straight 12V DC. I little inverter that you can switch on and off will power those loads that you want to use intermittently.

Can you define what loads you will be trying to power while camping? That will help decide the scale of your system.

For an eventual 48V workshop system, the pieces you are putting together now are not going to be re-usable.

Will Prowse put out a video on YouTube about the ten most common mistakes beginners make. If I remember right, not having enough voltage for your PV input was number one.

Edit: I found the video, and I sort of remembered right. It was the first mistake mentioned, but he was going from ten to one, so it was actually #10.

Thank you Michael and Artie.

I just purchased the Growatt and a 48v battery to go with it. I used to have an Ecoflow Delta 1300, but gave up after my second warranty replacement failed (!!!) It makes me appreciate having a more modular setup like this 3kw one. Realistically this will be my home emergency setup that I also take camping (I own a small RV Trailer) so I am pretty sure it's "right sized"

I watched that "10 Beginner Mistakes" video to double-check before buying. I guess going All-In-One helps bypass a lot of these mistakes :)

Thank you Michael and Artie.

I just purchased the Growatt and a 48v battery to go with it. I used to have an Ecoflow Delta 1300, but gave up after my second warranty replacement failed (!!!) It makes me appreciate having a more modular setup like this 3kw one. Realistically this will be my home emergency setup that I also take camping (I own a small RV Trailer) so I am pretty sure it's "right sized"

I watched that "10 Beginner Mistakes" video to double-check before buying. I guess going All-In-One helps bypass a lot of these mistakes :)
Ah bummer, I was just going to say I have that exact inverter in the garage collecting dust!

You’ll enjoy it though, mine has never given me any major issues. Surprisingly reliable.

Back