diy solar

diy solar

Do you need qualified sparky to add Solis 3.0kW RAI & batteries to existing Solar grid tied install.

Bignose2

Hi,
Had Solis inverter & panels installed last summer. Without battery as shortage & wondered if ROI OK without.

I would quite like to add battery now, partially for the UPS ability but also better use of the solar power.

Ask the guys who did the install, who were v.good then, three times now & never get to quoting, guess they are two busy!

They did advise Solis 3.0kW 5G RAI Energy Storage AC Coupled & Pylontech us5000.

So looking at that, am I allowed to DIY install, not too sure from the online manual whether need connection into the CU. I guess it must.

I am assuming you have to use the supplied meter & cannot use the existing "emlite" I have that was put in with the original install.

either way I'm tempted to buy & mount & prep. as much as possible but suspect any installers then won't be bothered & not sure average sparky will be bothered either?

Also can you advise if the backup (UPS) output (I know only a few sockets etc) it automatically switched over.
ie. Can I have a computer plugged into this all the time & have power OK when the grid is on normal but if the grid power fails it will simply continue on?
& if grid power failure, will the solar charge the batteries, so hopefully keeping this UPS power running for longer.

Thanks
I/A

I can't answer the install question.

The backup circuit runs from mains (PV/battery/grid) the same as everything else - until the grid fails. Then it switches over to run exclusively from PV/battery. The switching takes a fraction of a second, It depends on if your load is happy with that brief interruption.

Thanks for that info. I did think & hope that was automatic but a brief look at the manual online did show a (not supplied) switch in the circuit but might have been for isolation or something else.

When you say " run exclusively from PV/battery" does that mean the batteries will be charged when the grid fails,
I only ask for confirmation as when the grid fails currently, without the battery, the PV is isolated from the grid & house, so don't get any power at all.

I guess perhaps it does as the safety aspect of not feeding back to the grid to protect workers should apply as it only supplies the special backup/ups circuit.

thanks again.

When you say " run exclusively from PV/battery" does that mean the batteries will be charged when the grid fails,
I only ask for confirmation as when the grid fails currently, without the battery, the PV is isolated from the grid & house, so don't get any power at all.
I mean if the grid fails the circuit switches over and the inverter supplies it using power from PV and/or battery. If there is enough PV input it will still charge the battery. The main Grid connection will be isolated and unpowered until the Grid returns for safety reasons and also you don't want to be running every house in your neighbourhood from your inverter.

Hi,
Thanks for that

Install, follow up question, I know previous contributer's were not sure on instal but have been advised that if I go the route of adding the AC, RAI extra inverter, needs DNO notification again so would have to go with the PV official installers. Does anyone know if can confirm this?

Then had advise to swap the grid tied inverter for a hybrid, equipment bit more expensive but no DNO & thought easier install, makes sense.

However had a quote from the guys, who were very good & value on original install bug said about £4600. (not sure if plus VAT)

Bit confused, a Hybrid inverter & 4.8 Kwh battery is £2800inc VAT so £1800 install & I would have thought a quick'ish swap. Surely most of the cabling from the PC must be ready to go & even into the CU although not sure if would need to switch the meter but still that can't take too long.

EML M22. ECA2.v v1 Meter.

They easily did the new install of internals in less than a day.

I know your paying for skill & training but has to be a balance.

At that price even with high electricity prices means I can't see ROI so not going to do & loose out.
I know a bit of a whinge about costs.

Hi,

A follow up, quite a few have advised to change to a Hybrid inverter instead
little more expensive but should save some work & notification to DNO

On this setup, from what I can glean from the manuals the Solis Hybrid inverter has almost identical connections to the non-hybrid inverter. Certainly on the mains/Grid size. Just a single plug so assume that goes to my CU the same as the existing grid tied one, same meter which does have a Imp & Exp written on the window etc.

My only thought & don't see why it would make any difference is the mains/grid cable going to the meter & CU on the existing grid tied inverter is really just one way at the moment, power from solar & inverter going INTO the house whereas the hybrid would take power from the grid to charge the batteries (when there is no Sun, or however it is programmed) Of course the cable does not care which way the electricity flows and must be big enough for the Amps required anyway.

Just the extra battery connections & I think more comms.

So as far far as I can tell it would be a simple switch, unplug & plug the new one in.
So do I need the solar guys in? they want about £2k for this so making me think there has to be a lot more to it.

Does anyone know if this really is a like for like swap.

He,

Curious as to how you got on with this, your situation sounds very similar to mine I have a 4kw array with a Solis inverter in my loft and looking to swap the inverter with a hybrid and add pylon-tech batteries.

Using something like this:

I am thinking it should just be a DIY job of swap the inverter, cables will all hopefully be a plug-and-play and the only addition being the 2 power cables and comms cable for the battery.

I haven't bitten the bullet yet but I could be convinced.

I will try and add my 2p worth...

Hi,
Had Solis inverter & panels installed last summer. Without battery as shortage & wondered if ROI OK without.
I would quite like to add battery now, partially for the UPS ability but also better use of the solar power.
Good plan, so much better with batteries. What was your original inverter model / size and how much PV do you have?

They did advise Solis 3.0kW 5G RAI Energy Storage AC Coupled & Pylontech us5000. So looking at that, am I allowed to DIY install, not too sure from the online manual whether need connection into the CU. I guess it must.
Yes it will need its own circuit. So unless you have an existing circuit that is dedicated and unused you will need part P compliance, which either means DIY and builing regs or a sparky to install or a friendly sparky to sign off. Obviously all work will need to be done to IET BS 7671 standards. But, can you not upgrade your existing Solis to a hybrid one? (see also below as you've since considered that).

I am assuming you have to use the supplied meter & cannot use the existing "emlite" I have that was put in with the original install.
I have a hybrid RHI Solis, not the RAI stand-alone... I _think_ from other postings on here, the RAI needs two CT clamps, one to measure solar feed from your existing inverter and one to measure grid import/export.
Also can you advise if the backup (UPS) output (I know only a few sockets etc) it automatically switched over.
ie. Can I have a computer plugged into this all the time & have power OK when the grid is on normal but if the grid power fails it will simply continue on?
Yes, but if there is no solar and your batteries run out, the inverter will power down and the backup load won't have any power (even if grid is up), so you will need enough battery to keep the inverter running.

& if grid power failure, will the solar charge the batteries, so hopefully keeping this UPS power running for longer.
Yes :)

Install, follow up question, I know previous contributer's were not sure on instal but have been advised that if I go the route of adding the AC, RAI extra inverter, needs DNO notification again so would have to go with the PV official installers. Does anyone know if can confirm this?
You will require DNO approval for adding to an existing G98 compliant installation. Hence you will need approval via the G99 process as G98 won't cover you for more than 16A potential grid export.
HOWEVER, you can do all the DNO stuff yourself (just specify 'self-install' where it asks for the installer details) - you don't need to have MCS certified installers to do that part.

Then had advise to swap the grid tied inverter for a hybrid, equipment bit more expensive but no DNO & thought easier install, makes sense.
Totall agree. Don't know why it would be more expensive as you don't need any additional wiring on the AC side of things. Plus you'll have a 1 year old Solis to sell on on ebay or whereever!

However had a quote from the guys, who were very good & value on original install bug said about £4600. (not sure if plus VAT)
Ouch... guess they _are_ busy then or just don't want the job;)

Bit confused, a Hybrid inverter & 4.8 Kwh battery is £2800inc VAT so £1800 install & I would have thought a quick'ish swap. Surely most of the cabling from the PC must be ready to go & even into the CU although not sure if would need to switch the meter but still that can't take too long.
Agree. Solis RHI is around £1100 incl VAT and you can get a better battery pack than Pylontech (e.g. fogstar 5.1kWh unit for £1400 incl VAT). So for your £4000 you can have hybrid inverter and 10.2kWh of battery and a second user inverter to sell on.

I know a bit of a whinge about costs.
ROI matters.

On this setup, from what I can glean from the manuals the Solis Hybrid inverter has almost identical connections to the non-hybrid inverter. Certainly on the mains/Grid size. Just a single plug so assume that goes to my CU the same as the existing grid tied one, same meter which does have a Imp & Exp written on the window etc.
My RHI has an Acrel meter, but still the same RS485 connection, so should be a simple swap.

My only thought & don't see why it would make any difference is the mains/grid cable going to the meter & CU on the existing grid tied inverter is really just one way at the moment, power from solar & inverter going INTO the house whereas the hybrid would take power from the grid to charge the batteries (when there is no Sun, or however it is programmed) Of course the cable does not care which way the electricity flows and must be big enough for the Amps required anyway.
That is correct. So unless you're increasing the size of the inverter, the cabling should already be sufficient - but obviously check that, I don't trust _any_ so-called professional installers.
So as far far as I can tell it would be a simple switch, unplug & plug the new one in.
So do I need the solar guys in? they want about £2k for this so making me think there has to be a lot more to it.
The "lot more to it"... is called their profit.

Does anyone know if this really is a like for like swap.
Can't answer that exactly as we don't know the model of your existing inverter, but should be pretty much like for like swap of inverter and grid meter in my mind ?‍?

Last edited:
Back