diy solar

diy solar

Don't buy these, they are garbage!

• Thread starter Deleted member 783
  • Start date
They're here on our website... doesn't look like we're listing them on Amazon or eBay yet.

Though you may(?) be able to buy them directly from MidNite Solar as well...
That whole DIN thin is where I get lost. Well, DC breaker panels in general. They throw in shunts. Then you have ground breakers triggering on 1 amp. I'll be researching this more. I'd buy a surface mount just to get by for now doing light testing with only a couple panels. But, ultimately want to get it all right and be able to sleep peacefully. I asked altE who I ordered panels from to put together a BOM of anything they recommend in the PV circuit from panels to the inverter. They didn't come back with anything today.

If you can throw together recommendations that would help. Panel/DINs, grounding, etc,...

If this is too vague you can wait until I read and have more details. Or if this isn't something you feel comfortable with, I understand.

I can't say when I'll have more detailed requirements as I'm doing a lot of things at once, and just reading this grounding report is taking time.

Oooof yeah, the design/BOM depends entirely on the details of what you're working with... and the conditions you're working with it in. Most of our customers are doing mobile installs with limited PV V/A, so the breakers and controllers and inverters and grounding needs are all fairly straightforward... once you have some details together, I'd be happy to advise up to the limits of my knowledge, but I'm definitely not the most qualified person in the world to ensure you get all that right.

Oooof yeah, the design/BOM depends entirely on the details of what you're working with... and the conditions you're working with it in. Most of our customers are doing mobile installs with limited PV V/A, so the breakers and controllers and inverters and grounding needs are all fairly straightforward... once you have some details together, I'd be happy to advise up to the limits of my knowledge, but I'm definitely not the most qualified person in the world to ensure you get all that right.
Don't worry. I won't assume you're an expert. Just anything helps, notably to parts that go together.

6x320W, likely in 2S3P (2x24V=48V nominal, or Voc 2x40V=80V). Mounted simple initially near ground of yard. Later, maybe on a pavilion. Not on a house, for sure. 60-80 amp Inverter in house. Northern USA climate. That's all I have right now for requirements. Oh...

1> Inverter never catches on fire.
2> Nothing else catches on fire.
3> No one is ever shocked.
4> Equipment lasts 20-30 years.

Last edited:
Don't worry. I won't assume you're an expert. Just anything helps, notably to parts that go together.

6x320W, likely in 2S3P (2x24V=48V nominal, or Voc 2x40V=80V). Mounted simple initially near ground of yard. Later, maybe on a pavilion. Not on a house, for sure. 60-80 amp Inverter in house. Northern USA climate. That's all I have right now for requirements. Oh...

Hmmmmm let me think about that one... I don't typically deal with in-home installations so I'll need to do some research. The 20-30 year requirement is a tall order... I mean, I trust Victron to 10 years or more without question, but...

Hmmmmm let me think about that one... I don't typically deal with in-home installations so I'll need to do some research. The 20-30 year requirement is a tall order... I mean, I trust Victron to 10 years or more without question, but...
Remember, I have the inverter and panels. This is just about safety in the PV circuit between them... breakers, switches, branch connectors, grounding, etc,... I have 10 gauge PV cable.

Remember, I have the inverter and panels. This is just about safety in the PV circuit between them... breakers, switches, branch connectors, grounding, etc,... I have 10 gauge PV cable.
This is non-grid-tie, correct? Or are you selling back to the grid?

Non-grid tie with DC PV circuit (no microcontrollers, just a single MPPT for now).
Okay... given that, then my impression -and again, let me reiterate that permanent installations are not my forte, as their requirements are significantly different than mobile installations, so I'm definitely not the expert for this application- is that the proper grounding method would be to tie all panel frames together with through-frame grounding clamps and copper wire and run that down to a PE ground (literally a grounding rod pounded into the dirt with the wire clamped to it), then same on the controller and inverter side... take a copper wire from the chassis ground screws and run it outside to a PE ground. If you're not tying into your home electrical panel, then I would not ground it to the same ground as the panel; I'd want to keep the two different electrical systems entirely isolated from one another.
I'd recommend the MidNite Solar MNPV3 Solar Combiner Box for your application (given your stated 2s3p configuration). Note that's not a link to us - we don't carry those, but I reasonably trust Northern AZ Wind & Sun. A number of our customers have used them for other things and been happy with pricing/customer service/etc. In fact, it might be worth giving them a call and talking to them about your system, as they're far more familiar with home solar systems than I am.
By my understanding, however, you'd then run plastic conduit out of the combiner box with your (now) 1 POS and 1 NEG DC cable inside, presumably burying the conduit, over to your solar controller which I assume would be mounted in your garage or something, and connect normally. I'd plan on burial just for protection of the cabling, but of course if you were rigging it up prior to permanent placement you could just lay out the conduit in your yard. I'd personally really rather see the DC power wire in the plastic conduit, though... I know there's direct-burial cable available but I always prefer a rigid shell in case of FUBAR.

Okay... given that, then my impression -and again, let me reiterate that permanent installations are not my forte, as their requirements are significantly different than mobile installations, so I'm definitely not the expert for this application- is that the proper grounding method would be to tie all panel frames together with through-frame grounding clamps and copper wire and run that down to a PE ground (literally a grounding rod pounded into the dirt with the wire clamped to it), then same on the controller and inverter side... take a copper wire from the chassis ground screws and run it outside to a PE ground. If you're not tying into your home electrical panel, then I would not ground it to the same ground as the panel; I'd want to keep the two different electrical systems entirely isolated from one another.
I'd recommend the MidNite Solar MNPV3 Solar Combiner Box for your application (given your stated 2s3p configuration). Note that's not a link to us - we don't carry those, but I reasonably trust Northern AZ Wind & Sun. A number of our customers have used them for other things and been happy with pricing/customer service/etc. In fact, it might be worth giving them a call and talking to them about your system, as they're far more familiar with home solar systems than I am.
By my understanding, however, you'd then run plastic conduit out of the combiner box with your (now) 1 POS and 1 NEG DC cable inside, presumably burying the conduit, over to your solar controller which I assume would be mounted in your garage or something, and connect normally. I'd plan on burial just for protection of the cabling, but of course if you were rigging it up prior to permanent placement you could just lay out the conduit in your yard. I'd personally really rather see the DC power wire in the plastic conduit, though... I know there's direct-burial cable available but I always prefer a rigid shell in case of FUBAR.
Thank you very much, Justin. Yesterday, altE did get back to me with video links to our Solar Queen, which I put here. That's where I collect all solar info... mostly just rough notes even though it is technically in a site. One day I may clean it up.

She also recommended MidNite Solar for the combiner box. And thanks to you, I have a link to an actual part and confirmation they are likely a good manufacterer. She also recommended that baby box DIN thing you talked about that one night, so if I can ever understand how to hook it up, I'll probably end up with one of those. You covered the basics of grounding. There is more too it that I'm not sure I'll need at this point.

I'm not planning on using AC grounding for DC grounding. But, since the inverter is in my house, may in the near term just connect it to a copper pipe that just happens to be earth grounded for the AC side. Whether or not that is ideal is a question I'll be considering as I read up on grounding. All the AC side will, however, ultimately share this ground. The transfer panel I'm using includes a ground wire that goes into the main. The inverter's AC out will then share this transfer panel ground, per the transfer switch instructions. The AC in for the inverter will use the ground in the main, standard for any circuit in the main. So, AC is good there. DC is only side where I have to figure it out, and PV is primary concern. Solar Queen, IIRC, mentioned the combiner box being grounded.

Where grounding gets confusing is when you have that special breaker with a 1 amp for tripping. So, in that case, you're not just grounding, but tripping the breaker when ground gets current. That's something I need to figure out still. And when you start talking about that, and shunts in DC Distribution Boxes, that's where I feel I have the most to learn.

Thanks again for your help!

@erik.calco , no problem! MidNite Solar is a great company, I'm definitely confident recommending their products for the combiner box as well as their MNEPV high-DC-voltage breakers and a lot of other things... that being said, there's more than a few of their products that I look at and I honestly have no idea what the hell they do! The combiner box would definitely have to be grounded as well... it looks like in their instruction manual they're calling for the PV frame ground lines to be brought into the combiner box and then one ground line out to PV, but I'm not entirely sure... TBH I'm a little glad that I don't have to deal with these... though of course the part of me that wants to know everything is also going to continue studying these diagrams so that I can eventually understand it all.
Best of luck to you!

@erik.calco , no problem! MidNite Solar is a great company, I'm definitely confident recommending their products for the combiner box as well as their MNEPV high-DC-voltage breakers and a lot of other things... that being said, there's more than a few of their products that I look at and I honestly have no idea what the hell they do! The combiner box would definitely have to be grounded as well... it looks like in their instruction manual they're calling for the PV frame ground lines to be brought into the combiner box and then one ground line out to PV, but I'm not entirely sure... TBH I'm a little glad that I don't have to deal with these... though of course the part of me that wants to know everything is also going to continue studying these diagrams so that I can eventually understand it all.
Best of luck to you!
LOL right! I figured you'd love learning like the rest of us. Keep me abreast of any new discoveries. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what are your reasons for not mounting on a house? Just curious because I'm wrestling with the decision of whether to mount panels on the roof or build a ground mount. Are there code or legal issues that needs to be addressed for house mount that isn't required for ground mount?

It seems to me that the only reason to mount on the roof is if space is a consideration. On a roof, you can't adjust them, it can be very difficult to access them for service, and you have to put holes in your roof. Minus HOA restrictions or codes, I think ground mount is the way to go.
Roof vs ground is also affected by nearby trees and shading issues. Roof mounted is more likely to have less tree shading time than ground based panels.

Back