diy solar

diy solar

Dont know what I need . I have a 14x20 shed im going to use it as a man cave.

Rdarda74

So I'm wanting a complete kit, one thats not gonna give me trouble, but not the high dollar one either, is this possible for less than $500,or am I dreaming.

So I'm wanting a complete kit, one thats not gonna give me trouble, but not the high dollar one either, is this possible for less than $500,or am I dreaming.
Depends.
What electrical items do you plan to power?
You won't get much for $500 these days.

It doesn't sound like you've thought this through very much.
Will has posted sample systems that will give you some idea of prices.

So approximately how much would a decent system cost to run that.

Likely several thousand.

Heat and A/C are going to cost you dearly. They are huge energy consumers.

Link #1 in my signature - find out how much solar you have available at PVWatts for your exact location and use the Energy Audit spreadsheet to identify your requirements. If this is something you can't or won't do, DIY is not for you.

This site has a similar calculator and gives approximations for various items:

Tv, minni fridge, ac, heat 4 er fibe lights stereo , I was looking at amazon they got $ 5000 to $150 .
Tv, mini fridge, LED lights, sound system for a few hours? Do-able if you shop carefully, but a kit isn't going to do much and the inverters that come with those tend to fry electronics.

Aircon? For $500? Nope. The inverter alone that would feed an aircon unit without damaging the compressor and electronics will run you a good $300 on its own.

As for heat, the general rule is "Anything But Solar" because it uses soo much power. For perspective, your $300 standard LFP battery will power a bog standard heater for about 45 minutes. Maybe if you installed a diesel heater you could do it, those don't call for much electricity and heat well.

Back