diy solar

diy solar

Need help with sungold split phase concepts , did I even need the growatt ats-5k

Firstclasspass

This is only my third Solar install but I have 15yrs electronics experience i used to own a car stereo shop and I’ve wired a couple of houses and a couple of gas stations, as well as my own home (passed inspection)yay lol. I originally had 3LVX 6048s in this installation and they gave me a ton of trouble. They went haywire with communication issues every day and now I’m running these four high frequency inverters in place of two of the LVXs the third one I kept , it’s running the two air conditioners 2 2ton central units 1 old one new,, I have a few questions my first question is is it better to run these in split phase and how much of a balance will I have to do on the 120 load per side . Will I have to balance it completely down to 500 or 1000 W difference? or will it run with an unbalanced load sometimes 1500 2000w draw on a single leg for a toaster oven or whateve.. . or do I need to keep the imbalance very low may be only a two or 300 W difference her leg? What is the limitations of these inverters as far as unbalance loads? I have a very large house with an extremely high consumption. This house uses in the summer 115 kWh a day at the max on average about 90 kWh a day and in the winter it pulls about 55 to 60 kWh a day , am I better off running split phase with these Borja frequency inverters or did I do right by running them to 40 and then purchasing the grow white ATS 5000 transformer that’s going to run my 110 loads so I don’t have to do as much balancing was that the right move please someone chime in. My next question is about the grounding. Is it OK if I use the ground in the casing of the raceway as long as the raceway is only grounded back at the panel it’s on concrete backer board there’s other ground . The ground runs to the true first box location where do utility company originally had the house bonded, so would this technically be OK also, I’m wondering about a stove there’s a brand new Samsung stove that pulls upwards of 40 A alone and each inverters is supposedly rated at 5000 W which is about 40 A at 120 does that mean that I would get 40 A at 240 running them in split phase ? that stove pulls a massive amount of electricity when running a couple of hours and the oven upwards of 13.5kw I’m not sure if it derates itself when everything is turned on I don’t know how in the world it’s supposedly rated for a 40 amp breaker. I don’t even know if a 50 amp would cover its wattage draw.. is this setup gonna cover it ? My third question is about the solar input. These hold about 5500 W per inverter. I used to have 5kw roughly Going to each LVX so 15kw/3inverters ….now I have four inverters and i have 6 strings 2.4kw each string will it be OK to run three inverters with PD on them and not the fourth or does it need to be PV evenly split between the four and the roof get rewired to make sure each inverter has an even input? Sorry for the long post. Thank you for anyone that’s willing to read it and help me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 9
hello, I saw that you never got a response, I think it's because your post is hard to read.
Mostly due to lack of paragraphs.
I’m wondering about a stove there’s a brand new Samsung stove that pulls upwards of 40 A alone and each inverters is supposedly rated at 5000 W which is about 40 A at 120 does that mean that I would get 40 A at 240 running them in split phase ?

sounds like that would work.

Will I have to balance it completely down to 500 or 1000 W difference? or will it run with an unbalanced load sometimes 1500 2000w draw on a single leg for a toaster oven or whateve.. . or do I need to keep the imbalance very low may be only a two or 300 W difference her leg?

I think it would be hard if not impossible to keep the imbalance below 500W. Imagine you have a balanced load in this moment with 300W difference. Now suddenly someone starts a hair dryer or similar which could pull 1800W (120 * 15A). It will be "seriously imbalanced" by at least 1500W, possibly 2100W. I don't think that such an imbalance is harmful for the inverter. IMHO, and I am far from being an expert, all the real big loads are 240V on both legs, so they are automatically evenly distributed.
Just avoid something like all lights on L1 (very low W if you are fully LED) and all outlets on L2 (potentially 20x as much).

OK to run three inverters with PD on them and not the fourth or does it need to be PV evenly split between the four and the roof get rewired
I am lazy, I would probably not redo the wiring on the roof. I would add more panels to the 4th inverter instead LOL.
The benefit of going on the roof is that the work per inverter/charger would be reduced. If you are at 90% of the max pv input now, and with the 4th inverter, you could reduce that to 65%, maybe that would be good for the inverters' lifespan.

Back