diy solar

diy solar

Drill Chargers 2.0!

irishjohn

In reply to your reply......actually the inverters in question were already on line & ready to rock & roll so to speak so there was no inverter capacitor charged up problems to be had before I plugged in the two different chargers thus far.

No....it was purely the difference between the Makita drill charger and the Milwaukee drill charger.

Both were 18-Volt. But the difference if you wish to split hairs or peak/current/load problems would be the Makita was 3-Amp whereas the Milwaukee was a 4-Amp brushless type drill.

When I slapped on my Fluke meter that reads peak currents I noticed that with the Makita charger (I Own Two) the Current & Voltage (On Both Units) would slide up and down while it was charging.
But the Milwaukee was more of a steady current with the voltage slowly creeping upwards til it hit the cut off point.
Now I should point out that a good many appliances and even some inverters are now using soft-start Technologies.

I just thought that some of the construction guys and even some of the do it yourself guys would be interested in the differences between Chargers FYI and all that!
John

if you want to see inrush current, peak current on fluke will not work (you need the 37x series meters with the inrush mode).
The inrush is not just about the inverter, its the charger as it often has a nice cap in it (the inverter is just another device with a capacitive load).
My dewalt charger gives a very nice spark when plugged in as well so nothing uncommon other than BMS/inverters units that see such demands as shorts and promptly turn off hehe

Back