diy solar

diy solar

Earth disappears when solar is on

Casper1234

I have a Growatt inverter SPF 5000 ES. My issue is when I have grid on, my Earth is present but when it flips to solar, the Earth disappears. wired as per diagrams, Earth is going to inverter, any ideas why Earth disappears when solar is on? I am based I’m the UK

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "Earth dissappears" ?
How are you checking this?

Last edited:
I have a Growatt inverter SPF 5000 ES. My issue is when I have grid on, my Earth is present but when it flips to solar, the Earth disappears. wired as per diagrams, Earth is going to inverter, any ideas why Earth disappears when solar is on?
Just guessing from what info (or lack of) you are providing.
You're in North America, with a 240v/ 120v split-phase service?
You are using an autotransformer?
So when the Growatt switches over to inverting (not in bypass mode). You're losing the N/G bond from your service panel.
The solution is a common neutral setup.
Add a neutral wire between your main service and your sub panel.
But, this can create another problem.
If your service comes from a utility transformer that also serves other customers. Your autotransformer can be called upon to balance their loads.
The only solution is to never connect the AC input to the grid.

I have a Growatt inverter SPF 5000 ES. My issue is when I have grid on, my Earth is present but when it flips to solar, the Earth disappears. wired as per diagrams, Earth is going to inverter, any ideas why Earth disappears when solar is on?
Sounds like your AIO does not bond NG when operating as inverter to AC out. During AC bypass your homes NG bond is passed through.

Back