diy solar

diy solar

Easiest roof mount rail system to work with? 42 panels

Wilde

I'm installing a relatively large system with 42 420v REC panels. I'm having a new roof put in and they're going to install all the mounts for me. I'll be installing the rails/wires/panels etc. Since I'm new to this, I'm looking for ease of use, but I'm also being very conscious of the aesthetics since the wife wants it all to look pretty. Is there a particular rail system that's any easier to use than the others?

I'm installing a relatively large system with 42 420v REC panels. I'm having a new roof put in and they're going to install all the mounts for me. I'll be installing the rails/wires/panels etc. Since I'm new to this, I'm looking for ease of use, but I'm also being very conscious of the aesthetics since the wife wants it all to look pretty. Is there a particular rail system that's any easier to use than the others?
IronRidge is designed with a larger engineering margin (reuse of components, larger span and cantilever, etc).

Honestly I think they all look the same from the ground apart from bottom and side trim (which reduces performance in the summer by reducing airflow). Dunno if you or your wife is into precision, beautifully machined parts you can't see after installation, which some of the IronRidge parts are.

If you go without trim you will need to cut the rails pretty precisely. Cutting on the roof is doable but requires extra skills, and cutting accurately on the ground is IMO difficult to do optimally on a first time DIY install unless you have some existing precision cutting skills (IE from woodworking).

Back