diy solar

diy solar

EASUN IGRID VE II 5,5KW (Sorotec REVO II ) GERMANY firmware "Utility Power charging disabled" ?

alfonsis

Hello,
i bought the model EASUN IGRID VE II 5,5KW (Sorotec REVO II ) from the Poland EASUN Warehouse.
Firmware: Inverter Version V1.5.6 2022-03-30

According the product description and the user manual, which was delivered with the device, the Working Mode "AC" will charge battery from gid power:
"EASUN IGrid II Working Modes.JPG
Did anybody test this feature already with a model, which was delivered to Germany ?
Unfortunately i cannot test this feature in the moment (still waiting for my battery to arrive).

My concern is based on this note which i recently found in the "IGRID TT10 10kW" manual:
"according to German EEG law, charging from mains electricity is deactivated for models that are delivered to Germany"

Thank you, any information on this topic is welcome.

Attachments

• IGRID TT 10 KW keine Batterie-Ladung vom Netz.JPG
    IGRID TT 10 KW keine Batterie-Ladung vom Netz.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 24
In the other thread firmware is provided.

For sure that one isn't limited.
You will need a device to flash the display firmware.

Description on how and what is in the long thread where we are already chatting
:)

Good to see you found the manual!
(Sadly a bit too late)

Hi, in the meantime EASUNchat (seems to be avy@easunpowert.com) gave me this reply:
"1664776463537.png
But i am still skeptical as i read about this limitation (based on specific german "EEG regulations") in a german translation of the IGRID TT 10 kW manual.

At this moment i am not able to test the function (still waiting for my 16S 302Ah LiFePo battery to arrive).
The installed LCD Firmware Version is V1.4.8 2022-04-15.

1664777235540.png

Can you imagine this is a special restricted firmware version adapted for this crazy german restriction ?
(imo this is not typical chinese-style behavior)

Based on good software development practice, imo there sould be a factory-level-based modification of this setting.

But, in the case of the need to get rid of this german-restricted firmware version, how to flash just the LCD firmware without endangering the rest?

Hi, in the meantime EASUNchat (seems to be avy@easunpowert.com) gave me this reply:
"View attachment 114698
But i am still skeptical as i read about this limitation (based on specific german "EEG regulations") in a german translation of the IGRID TT 10 kW manual.

At this moment i am not able to test the function (still waiting for my 16S 302Ah LiFePo battery to arrive).
The installed LCD Firmware Version is V1.4.8 2022-04-15.

View attachment 114699

Can you imagine this is a special restricted firmware version adapted for this crazy german restriction ?
(imo this is not typical chinese-style behavior)

Based on good software development practice, imo there sould be a factory-level-based modification of this setting.

But, in the case of the need to get rid of this german-restricted firmware version, how to flash just the LCD firmware without endangering the rest?
Flashing is simple, and described several times in this forum.

A Search for Sorotec firmware probably gives enough hits.

You do need J-Link programmer, it's fairly easy.
Do mark the connectors as there are 2 X 4 pin, and switching then gives magic smoke...

For the display "every" china clone will work.
The MPPY will stop working with the clone, and doesn't flash totally.

I ended up buying one from Sorotec... And that one did work.

On the bright side..
I have now 4 spare MPPT boards hahaha...

I haven't flashed communication or controller boards yet as I did not receive firmware from Sorotec for them.

They are available in the other thread, just been shared by fellow forum user!

Hello,
i bought the model EASUN IGRID VE II 5,5KW (Sorotec REVO II ) from the Poland EASUN Warehouse.
Firmware: Inverter Version V1.5.6 2022-03-30

According the product description and the user manual, which was delivered with the device, the Working Mode "AC" will charge battery from gid power:
"View attachment 112400
Did anybody test this feature already with a model, which was delivered to Germany ?
Unfortunately i cannot test this feature in the moment (still waiting for my battery to arrive).

My concern is based on this note which i recently found in the "IGRID TT10 10kW" manual:
"according to German EEG law, charging from mains electricity is deactivated for models that are delivered to Germany"

Thank you, any information on this topic is welcome.
I can't see any reason why this would be disabled on the EASUN inverters. The ones we have bought has no problem doing SC charging, but you have to consider s couple of other settings as well, namely being in Utility mode and having the Battery full voltage set at a higher voltage than your current battery voltage, otherwise charging from AC won't start.

But there seems to be a much bigger problem with these inverters, and that is NOT being able to change settings on the inverter over the RS232 communication line, even though it is documented as an option. This makes it impossible to use these inverters intelligently, implementing remote controlled AC charging from the Grid when price of electricity is low.

They promise in specifications that it can, but it seems not to work, and EASUN "Tech support" is clueless to any and all technical issues, actually they hardly ever respond, and even when they do, they haven't understood the issue, making their responses useless.

Best regards
Watch-out

RS232 is to my knowledge (and as such Informed by Sorotec) only to read out information for computer software and some calibration (what isn't really accurate)

What EASUN promotes, is their fantasy...
I have absolutely no love for EASUN and am still waiting for the €4500 indemnification after their defective inverter charged my 16x 200Ah lead acid with 78v...
(Who they require back for resell)
That is the "quality and reliability" of EASUN...
They are ok reselling a defective inverter.

Indeed EASUN = watch out.

Sorotec Revo II...
Please check their website for accurate information and specification.

If you think you need technical support, pay the few euro extra and buy from Sorotec.

Not as outstanding as Victron or outback, for the price you pay, and that it is an Chinese company, it ain't bad.

Regarding my question of September 18th "Using Utility power to charge the battery disabled?"

I completed my 16S 48V LiFePo battery and I could test the function:
It is working with the firmare (LCD V1.4.8, Inv. V1.5.6 ) that came with my device. It seems there is no restriction on charging from Utility power.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this question.

But there are still other issues, the same questions as can be seen in the other postings....

H
Regarding my question of September 18th "Using Utility power to charge the battery disabled?"

It is working with the firmare (LCD V1.4.8, Inv. V1.5.6 ) that came with my device. It seems there is no restriction on charging from Utility power.

But there are still other issues, the same questions as can be seen in the other postings....
Happy to read it is working for you!

Can you also discharge the battery to grid?

That a shame
I really need a inverter that can discharge to the grid controllable

Well I think they are following a different concept than most European battery inverters do. Essentially they feed the load by battery where most battery inverters sold in Europe feed the grid and therefor indirectly compensate the power from the load. The latter one is more easy to install in an existing house installation. You just add the battery with inverter and I think that's the reason why it's preferred in Europe.

Our inverter's approach however comes with the advantage of a free UPS functionality. But of course, if you don't want to power your whole house with the inverter you need to change the existing house instllation.

Well I think they are following a different concept than most European battery inverters do. Essentially they feed the load by battery where most battery inverters sold in Europe feed the grid and therefor indirectly compensate the power from the load. The latter one is more easy to install in an existing house installation. You just add the battery with inverter and I think that's the reason why it's preferred in Europe.

Our inverter's approach however comes with the advantage of a free UPS functionality. But of course, if you don't want to power your whole house with the inverter you need to change the existing house instllation.
The first firmware i received the units with was capable to set times to discharge to the grid, and even when to charge.

I need to dig in my old photos to get a screen capture.

In the newer firmware that option was no longer there.

In Theory it can be used to Charge during cheap power hours and discharged during the expensive ones.

It has the functionally build in and was functional.

I suppose one should ask Kevin at Sorotec why they took it out....

2022-12-7 16-9-18.jpg
2022-12-7 16-9-34.jpg

Peak and Valley...

User manual version 2.0

Update: i just checked.
Tons of pictures, just not of that peak and Valley setting.
As we live off-grid, it has no use for us.

I think with the energy crisis, lots of people like to use their setup to charge at low cost energy and feed back at high price times :),

Last edited:
The first firmware i received the units with was capable to set times to discharge to the grid, and even when to charge.

I need to dig in my old photos to get a screen capture.

In the newer firmware that option was no longer there.

In Theory it can be used to Charge during cheap power hours and discharged during the expensive ones.

It has the functionally build in and was functional.

I suppose one should ask Kevin at Sorotec why they took it out....

That is interesting! I was thinking that there should be no technical reason the inverter can't feed the grid using the battery as it can with PV power. Do you have Kevin's email?

That is interesting! I was thinking that there should be no technical reason the inverter can't feed the grid using the battery as it can with PV power. Do you have Kevin's email?
If you find something, please share with us

Got feedback from Sorotec -> unfortunately it's not possible to feed the grid from battery.

Technically it is possible
They have a CT clamp to prevent back feeding
If we can trick the CT clamp that there is load, than the inverter will provide current

Back