diy solar

diy solar

EBC-A40L users only please

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
OK. Wanted to document findings, progress with this particular charger tester.

It is sold by a large variety of markets on Ebay, Amazon and Alibaba.

I purchased my first unit from Amazon about April 11th of this year. I got busy with a variety of things and didn't actually start to use it until the original 30 window expired.

When I did start using it, I noted a grating noise that seemed to come from the fan. I contacted tech support for the unit and they asked me to send them a video. I did. There was no reply.

Later got my order for batteries and started a top balance on 4 cells. Things ran smoothly (except the noise) until I stepped away for a few minutes and when I returned I was greeted with a silent unit and a black screen.

I contacted tech support again. Through a series of emails they asked me to check the incoming fuse and three different voltage settings inside the unit. Long story short it was determined that the power supply had failed.

I took these newfound findings to Amazon. To their credit they sent me a return ticket and the opportunity to get a refund. Very grateful. I then ordered a second unit which was just received today.

So far I am charging one cell at a time. The printed manual is in Chinese. There are 5 page on line manuals and I used one as my guide. So far the charger is running quietly and there is no strange fan noise.

If you have had any experiences with this particular unit please feel free to share them here. This particular model only please.

This unit has a computer interface. I have not utilized it yet. It has the ability to charge and discharge cells to different levels for testing purposes.

A nice feature is the ability to set the ending amp input level during a charge (e.g. X amps). As the charger inputs into the cell the amp counter goes down. When it hits the set point you established ("NOR") it will power off.

The important thing to remember is that this a 5v max charger/discharger. It has the ability to charge and discharge individual cells or a "battery" up to 5v. I am currently charging each cell to 3.45 to "wake it up" from storage and shipment. Once I finish with 4 cells I will top balance the 4 cells to 3.65. I will repeat with the second set of 4 cells and then top balance all 8 cells.

Nobody else replying? Really? I thought this was a very popular tool....EBC-A40. wow Just us

I am not the BEST source for my first time with ebc-a40. but this is what I found. I don't think would try more than 1 cell at a time for initial charging.... that comes at the end when you tie them in parallel after letting them rest for 12-24hours.

That was the charging recommendation from my original 12v battery sets. initial charge separate, then Tie in parallel, after 12-24hour of rest in parallel, charge again while all are still hooked in parallel My 12v packs made it about a year and a half by doing that. My cells were doing great until started doing more and more mppt solar charging. To me It is embarrassing to charge solar battery bank with grid. Mppt Solar with small array is not stable constant charge though. probably be someone cry over that statement. You can watch solar charge current go up and down all day. That is just not good way charge batteries in my opinion. IF the solar array can put out more current than the solar charging needs then probably golden. Does that really happen with small arrays? NO. I'm thinking the solar panel array needs to be maxed out per inverter - mppt manual. Small array - current is all over the place. Not good for battery charging imho not a constant. I've watched my cells with blue tooth and watched mppt pv and current - solar assistant-victron bt shunt-inverter - victron mppt various combinations ..... the whacky cells started when I began solar charging. been using my 48 lifepo charger. I think need more panels in parallel. probably 2-3 more strings solar panel to get current up but there is a limit to that amp with new inverters too. Mine new inverter is high pv and low current for built in mppt's. They take the high pv and use it with low current input. PPL with big arrays whine too.

Battery chargers usually set a current then raise the voltages to a desired set point...... once that set point is hit for voltage the charge current will began to drop until the charging is complete - charger shuts off..... done by algorithms because lifepo specific charging is required. lead acid is similar for what it needs.
Be something if ppl having battery problems are due to solar charging. Read reports here over and over. Just my notice.
20240710_202527[1].jpg

IMG_7394.jpeg

With EBC-A40 ......... It is nice to see a graph.

My EBC appears work..... sorry you got a bad one …takes long time just to charge a single 100ah cell ~2 hours+ even if start with broken down supposed charged battery cells. I got tired of my 12volt packs not charging properly and broke down 1 battery - top balanced cell in 1 and have 3 more 12v to go. I will be stripping the cells and building back cells 16s and 48v jk bms for nom pack. The runners had to go. I hope they stay gone. Fingers crossed.

I do not recommend using 12v packs in 48v series and it lead me to here buying ebc-a40. Will Prowse agrees buy 48v battery for 48v and he has lot more experience with them than me. I'd listen to him.

My 12v packs had arrived 0 SOC when purchased them. Had hard time waking one of them up and it had lost all the setting from bms. Had get replacement. Anyway am going to build the rescued 12v cells into 48v pack. The ebc-40a is what I bought to rework these cells. It takes long time to do cells. Probably why they don’t do it when building these cheap 12v batteries just toss them in. Might match might not. Got their money. I got my cheap battery. I highly recommend blue tooth see what bms are doing inside with any battery. I know exactly where the trouble cells are.

Will Prowse was right - the batteries stink like crazy when broken down. It “smells like old harbor freight electrics” burnt up but stronger when break a battery down. . Those cells had lot of silicon on bottom - blocks - foam sides - tough get out. The top popped right off with a wood chisel - hammer starting on small side …. then grabbed ripped rest way off. The lids were not put on real solid. I was afraid they had used a plastic melt glue but was only held on with silicon. Could reuse cases and may for lower boxes-to hold repurposed cells.

Seen Any 100ah diy boxes?

Again this was my initial first time using that ebc tester. I trust it…watched it do 3 cells building trust …..went to sleep woke up …. it had finished last battery cell and automatically shut down…. faith. that cell had acted good so knew it wasn't a runner.

When you do a runner cell they get little wonky I just shut down let it sit for 30 minutes or so then restarted program which ran - balanced perfectly. I charged 3.6v 20amps 2 amp shut off for these 100ah lifepo cells

3.45v was not working with runner….so to set them all the same went 3.60v top balance…the higher voltage worked.

You need to watch temps. They are suppose to be done at specific temps Read it somewhere. A Texas Instrument Physic degree chemical engineer did a paper on lifepo. I can’t find that reference no where now. Closest thing seen was a search on youtube Goofy Andy’s Off Grid Garage did a video on this charger. Think he mentioned temps too. Internal cell Resistance changes with temps. Right?

IMG_6898.jpeg

I am not sure if Will did a video on it - didn't look. I'm guessing he has a video on it.

😀 Again trying to top balance that runner cell took higher voltage to bring it in line - make break the resistance …I dunno. 🙃

Reading bunch of post on here about batteries TO ME notice most charging troubles -weird battery problems come from mppt type solar panel charging. The friggin current is all over the place some times. Think I need to run a parallel string or 2. No constant….with solar charging.

The EBC-A40 basically has set current 20amp my setting with rising voltage until it hits user set voltage ie: mine 3.60v then it rides until algorithm drops current subject to voltage at a constant …the runner cells try to drop voltage when current drops. So again, I let it run until current got to about 10 amps drop from 20 = half set.. It was fighting to keep constant voltage. I knocked it down for about 30 minutes….rest. Came back voltage was around 3.37 next go charged up 3.60v like champ …made graph above. Wish had charted the runner to show. It was a fighter. I also run through an old laptop - graphs. you can save all of them to compare at later date when rebalance.

Make sure you put in the period for voltages. It would be nice if it went up to 60v and 40 amps. 😀 Dual use charge everything. It is limited to 5 volt 40 amps. I felt 20amps was aggressive and the runner had me nervous it might swell - pop do something crazy. 😀 that graph was a crazy thing to see. I looked the cells over will free put them in parallel once all 16 are done and rebalance them again. I've watched Ray builds cool things he said it takes a long time for that too. Again why they don't really check these cells in cheap batteries - my opinion. Takes a long time.

Recommend find that top balance guide on here as it was interesting. I tried charging the 12v packs max when arranged in my 48v series before tearing down…helps process go faster. I don’t feel like messing with full features ….of charge discharge then final charge again .... tired but the ebc tester will do it all in multi-test. automatically….Andy off grid garage video was good. Suggest you look for and watch it.. too The Texas Instrument guy recommended top balancing once a year. Wished could find that website - lifepo cell paper. Good read.

Increased resistance why temp needs to be normalized to get even balances.

IMG_7400.png

warm these are hard to get good clamp action so might be better ring terminal and nut it down remove clips. I think might be best to put voltage wire on top of current lead with ring lug terminals on both too. it was pain to get little voltage lead to clip good a few times. Makes sure it is reading good voltage-was double checking with my meter darn near spot on. Current cable clamp towards end of test... was around ~115f Thermal below

I started with it so am not changing anything now - consistency with everything. After this pack is built will raise blade make the ring lug terminal change to ebc-a40.

I am gaining experience to do my other NEW cells 16s 280ah These old cells are the learning part. The new cells are again 280ah so they will take a lot longer.... than 100ah cells

thermal2.jpeg

BTW Aliexpress has a charge with different specs but could not confirm it- comes with 120v ac plug.
"""EBD-B10H 12V-72V 24V36V48V60V Lithium Lead Acid Battery Capacity Tester 10A Discharge Current Support PC Software Test ~$200""" With only 10a will be even slower.

Watching batteries charge is not my ideal of a good time. I would prefer to set and forget when done come back and ready to party. I didn't want a new hobby I wanted an emergency back up for some power when the neglected grid goes down. Again majority of ppl report battery problems after solar charging. Just look at reports. Might be something to look at and watch to see how stable your voltage -current is going into batteries -cells with solar charger.

Clear as mud. Sorry. Best I can do in this quick post. I gave $178 plus tax on amazon. This is my journey of why and how I got here.

OK. Things are looking more promising so far. Took each of these 4 cells and woke them up by charging each to 3.45. I now have them in parallel for a top balance. Just topped 3.61v. When these are done will do the next 4 the same way and them top balance the 8.

1720890538706.jpeg

Hear from my tech support person for the company. She claimed that an updated manual is on the way. Will keep you posted if and when it is released.

I have one too. Got it fron Alibaba. I've spent months testing hundreds of 280ah and 100ah cells using the computer software and saving all the charge/discharge curves to my local server.

I have had the fan noise a couple times, but a slight lift up and "drop" (from a couple inches) back onto the table, and the fan noise goes away. Not sure why, but didn't care.

All in all it works great, but at 40a, those cables (only 10ga. So they are undersized, even though they have silicone insulation) get hot, and it's not as accurate IMO. Especially with just the clamps.

Typically opening these up will void the warranty. Given that mine was not working the tech asked me to open mine up and send a photo. This is what they look like on the inside. Power supply on the right, heat sink on the left.

IMG_4310.jpeg

OK. Things are looking more promising so far. Took each of these 4 cells and woke them up by charging each to 3.45. I now have them in parallel for a top balance. Just topped 3.61v. When these are done will do the next 4 the same way and them top balance the 8.

View attachment 228487
Sorry started not to post this. I am not trying be mean or upset you. I can’t tell which cells you have.

Best to criss cross ebc-a40 leads …..while balance charging. Just stated - old theory.

Check your cells for flatness. Before and after. Some are suppose to be under compression to do this process. How much for that compression is the question. You probably should not charge them like that. Some cells have thicker cases so can reportedly get away with it. My cells were basically left in pack form not completely released with added big clamp during ebc-a40 . Eve is one brand that recommends compression. The way my factory packs were doing it is way i applied pressure back big square foam block both ends strapped and clamped. I tried scan my old cells - number. Think some one ran battery cells by number before on forum

My rnumber search esults these were not great cells from word go….can’t find if compressed required or not for these. Don’t care did best could will mild compression for them cvompare to when assembled 12v pack old cells. These old cells in 12v factory packs again were problematic.

IMG_7448.png

Not sure if mine needs compression or not ….there was not a lot compression in factory 12v pack. Might be why they acted bad … however they weren’t listed as great cells on gobel website anyway.

You Need to look those cells up to see if can find out if need compression. Good luck with that quest. I am sure my old cells were not the absolute best nor my method for my process but tried to do my best working with them for some compression at least equal to the previous crap factory packaging. The 12v OLD 100ah cells are - were already problematic. I read ppl recompressed cells after frogged hmmm not so sure on that. Capacitors frog too once done - gone. …so not sure if lifepo cells frog they can be brought back in manner that poster described.

Again some cells have thicker skin casing of cells ….. therefore the read is not compression thick - refer to the maker advice but EVE are recommended by maker - compression. Thin cell long sides. There is a video that shows the area that expands on EVE cells. B cells were reported expanded why I would not buy them as just cells . The older cells were much better with hard cases . Think name is caleb.
IMG_7449.png

This is how restrained compressed my EVE cells - put them in new diy box added extra fiber boards screwed down compression plate The weight is also adding compression has the supplied foam between each …..logic tells me the bottom battery has more weight pressure then the top battery - gravity. Who knows if this latest style of battery box is the best fad phase. I can’t do a final balance on them let the 2 amp balancer do it after charging up for hours on hours with my mpp solar 3048 screaming finished them with a top balance which goes quick with batteries that are ~max capacity.

I put the tester charger on them after finished the total charging them to top off. Made fast work of it probably been weeks at it other way for individual 280ah cells.

IMG_7423.jpeg
I also used the JK BMS active 2a balancer during charging to try keep cells in line. I shut it down and let cells rest then charged several times before went at them with mpp solar 3048 and grid charging. I am sure this months electric bill will take a hit.
My results with my new cells now:
IMG_7447.jpeg

I read ppl stated to max charge before top balancing ….it went much quicker for me the 16 glass SETUP was basically full just need to TOP OFF.
🤓

Sorry but I doubt battery companies put all the supposed time in that some ppl suggest to do complete testing of cells. I know for about fact the 12v cheap battery makers are LIARS. To many man hours would be required. Mpp 3048 running at reported 154.4 at ~80-82F air during charge had throttle back keep inverter from thermal. Ppl have lot of problems in summer never realizing their inverters are taking a beating. According to SA put 11.3 kWh into the new batteries with mpp 3048 - grid. Again no doubt my bill will reflect. Would have taken very long time to do that with ebc-a40. Probably never happen with just solar - with charge currents all over the place.

IMG_7434.jpeg
50 amp charging builds inverter heat…. I started with 20a ramped up to 50a while in progress then back down due to temps ended 20a. It took a lot to get them to 3.6 volts for all cells. I can hardly wait to see the next electric bill. My normal bill is ~$1400 a year ~ $116.67 a month. I spent around $2100-$2200 for these new batteries and case. ~14.3k - ~15k supposed......only because aging grid goes down. Damn shame.

Again not trying be wise guy or make you feel bad but check and see if your cells need compression. Might be to late … might not. May not need it. I dunno. Eve does require compression. If they are swelled they won’t set flat against one another. I’d bet the makers tried reduce weight as trade off for adding compression but probably been better keep old cases vs do a compression setup. Some ppl scream get compression springs. They - springs lose tension over time. I think the ppl compressing with 2 flats and threaded rods have pro and con. Again everyone is trying do their best. I visually inspected the cell vents immediately to make sure none were damaged. If you place explosives under compression in shaped charges before they go boom than they do more damage. Fine balance for that compression. 🥸 I often wonder if cells go off on run away under compression.

Again lot of times read things on these forums say to late now what is done is done. But after thinking about it….. wanted to add to help with what see as potential problem - reminder for everyone. I went at it best could figure for mine. We all do best we can most times.

Sorry for long post. That number 14 cell with red x on it in picture was only cell that was slow to come up to voltage in my supposed new EVE 280ah cell build. Need to retorque all bus bars. Checked thermals … going to kapton tape temp sensors down and put back cover on it. DONE.

I saved my worse 12v pack for last and dreading it. Put it on hold to do new battery.
Tired been long weekend. Not a lot of sleep. Watching batteries charge, tending them, and such is BORING. 😀 I hope to get dependable batteries for my efforts…280ah set …..the ebc-a40 can not do actual magic with the old cells. I realized that going in. Everyone should. It is what it is better
When buy packaged batteries don’t know what we are getting. Same for cells to a degree.

Again tired hope did not confuse anyone.

Cells are Ganfeng A35 100ah LFP cells.
Should be compressed. I do not have specifically an A35 Ganfeng datasheet but the A09 100ah datasheet should be close enough for your needs.

Edit: the A09 cell datasheet is in the Ganfeng cell datasheet collection in the forum's resources

Edit #2: D71's cells are Ganfeng A35s. JJJJ has one of the few different EVE 71173207 cells, (lf280k,lf304,mb30,m31). All of those datasheets are in the resources spread across the three different EVE LFP prismatic datasheet collections. Still should be compressed

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
Tired been long weekend. Not a lot of sleep.

Hope you get some much needed sleep.

There is a lot written about top balancing, compression and positioning in other threads. Will defer to these discussions.

Reactions: D71

View attachment 228487
Top Charging your cells this way is fine WITH PROVISIONS !
Do NOT exceed 0.25C Charge Rate because if you go to 0.5C that will generate internal heat & a bit of expansion.
At 0.2C and lower, there is virtually no heat generated and the minuscule chance of swelling (unless it's a defective cell).

I have Top Charged & Balanced cells "loose" (as you have) and with mild compression (hand pressure clamps) and there is no difference in speed & level of charge at such a low level. Done many using both methods.

TEMPS are Important. 25C/77F is LFP's favourite temp, but they are quite well behaved between 20C-35C, outside of that they can get crank the further from optimal temp you get. DO Ensure that all cells are at the same Physical Temp otherwise results can get very weird quickly.

----- CELLS ON SIDES -----
DON'T DO IT, DON'T BUY THOSE !
Several companies are now bankrupt as a result o those Side Cell Packs. The bottom cells inevitably leak electrolytes which in turn corrodes everything it comes into contact with resulting in shorts, failure & occasionally FIRES (causes by electrical shorts and/or low cell electrolytes cause internal failure. There are MANY PHOTOS'S SHOWING THIS !... GSL SubContractor who supplied many changed design and no longer will be supplying side mounted cell cases. Other larger commercial Pack Makers are following suit with Upright Cells or Pouch Format & now "Blade" type cells (different physical format).

NOT ARGUING THIS ! - It is a Simple Fact a grade schooler can figure out... The cells on the bottom are under severe pressure (7x??kg cells on top of the two bottom cells. Just lay down on the ground and have the Spouse & 3 kids lay ON TOP OF YOU and you get it... Yet "Alternate Reality" people argue the simplest & dumbest things... DERP !!!

Using 280AH Cells as the example (most commonly used ones currently)
I take 4 FRESH-NEW cells set them in Series and Top Charge to 3.650 and down to taking <3.0A. This takes about 11 Hours from 3.333V
Then I set the "sets of 4" once done into a full Series Set & Re Top-Balance (much quicker, takes "maybe" 2 hours at most) and then the cells are ready for assembly to pack.
NB: Cells that have already been in production:
Top Charging cels that have been in production & fully "awakened" behaves Very Differently. (real world example)
Take a set of 4 @ 3.330 and Top Charge to 3.650 <3A taken takes about 5 hours. NOTE THE DIFFERENCE with a Fully Activated Cells ! A bit less that 1/2 the time to reach the same point.

diy solar

diy solar
Back