diy solar

diy solar

Ebike AGM to Lithium-Ion Conversion

DIYSolarPower

I'm in Asia where ebike are everywhere. I have one that has 5 12v 20Ah batteries so 60v/20Ah. The motor can handle 70v. I want to increase the range with 60Ah batteries.

See below my battery specs. I plan to connect 17s for 4.2*17=71.4v maximum voltage. I'll charge to 4.1 only for 69.7v maximum.

I'm going to need a BMS so I'm wondering if anyone will recommend one? I don't know if I should get a high (ish)-end BMS or an average run-of-the-mill BMS without bluetooth is good enough. For the home systems, I get that people want the high-end bluetooth and ability to set parameters but I'd like a cheaper option if possible. Lithium-ion is out of style so I'm also fight that obstacle since a lot of products are not geared toward life

I'm not sure what to use to charge since most charge controllers are less than 48v. Most ebike chargers won't charge to 69.7 or there about - either they charge too high or too low of a voltage.

I'd consider 18s (4.1*18=73.8) if anyone thinks it won't hurt the 70v motor.

I paid 650 dollars for the ebike (pretty nice bike too) so I'd like to keep the conversion inline with the price of the ebike (the batteries were free, BTW). If I need to pay hundred for a BMS and then more to safely charge it, I'll begin to wonder if it is worth it.

I know lithium-ion is dangerous if overcharged so I won't be charging near anything that burns.

Type : HR37145100300
Material system :Multivariate composite lithium (remark-Multivariate composite cathode material)
Nominal Capacity :60Ah
Minimum Capacity :60Ah
Nominal Voltage :3.7V (Mean Operation Voltage)
Delivery voltage :3.50~3.60V (Within 10 days from Factory)
Charge Voltage :4.20V±0.03V (By standard charge method)
Standard charging method:1.0C constant current,4.20V constant voltage charge to 4.20V,continue charging till current deadline to ≤0.05C (25±3℃)
Standard discharging method :1.0C constant current discharge to 2.75V,
Cell Internal Impedance :≤1.0mΩ (Internal resistance measured at AC 1KHZ after 50% charge )
Weight :0.88±0.02Kg
CC Charge :CC charge 1.0C/60A、cutoff voltage 4.20V,Capacity>60Ah 1.0C
High-Rate Discharge :DC discharge 3.0C/180A、cutoff voltage 3.0V,Capacity>60Ah
Operation Temperature and relative humidity Range: Charge 60±25%R.H.

Unsure about the BMS but you may be able to charge with an adjustable power supply or dc-dc boost converter add a current/voltage monitoring device, it may be a lot of trial and error

Back