diy solar

diy solar

Eco Worthy 1100W Off Grid Pure Sine Wave Inverter 12V to 220V

Roop

Bit of advice needed.
Firstly I don't really have a requirement for a 1kw inverter at the moment.
I don't want to buy a modified inverter if I'm only going to end up buying a full sine one a some point, even though modifieds are about half the price.
My setup is woefully inadequate to utilise the unit effectively but my eye is on a modular expansion. At some point I'd want to go 24v.
It's more than I really want to spend at this stage of solar PV assembly.
So, there doesn't really appear to be anything in this cost/power range. The vast majority of the ones I can find- sub 1kW- are all modified sines.
Should I keep looking for something a bit smaller or (using £/power output) go bigger given the expectation that I will expand the rig??

The only thing I currently want to power is my ebike battery charger. Everything else I can find alternative power for.
TiA

The answer to your question depends on the voltage and current output of your ebike charger. If it has a 48V 20A output, then you are talking about 48V * 20A = 960VA = 960W power output. That would require a 1000W inverter at a minimum to feed the charger. You need to make sure you have some surplus though so that the inverter doesn't turn off due to overload. You are going to need to calculate the total output power the charger needs based on its specs and then get an inverter for the voltage you need (220VAC) to power it. It needs to be able to provide a little more than the charger needs, probably at least 20% more. You are probably looking at a 1200W inverter if your charger is what I described. If its smaller, then you need less.

If you already have an AC charger for your ebike what is the use case you are talking about here? Are you trying to charge your ebike in a remote location where you don't have AC power? Are you able to carry a 100-200Ah battery around in your vehicle or something? That is what you will need to do since it sounds like you want to charge one portable battery with another portable battery.

An alternative to this is to use a different type of charger. Since you are going DC to DC ultimately, you can use a DC to DC buck charger. Its basically an adjustable DC power supply. You can get these one Amazon and Aliexpress in small 20A size for cheap under $10-15USD. You then set the device to the output voltage and current you need and connect the source battery to the buck power supply and then to the ebike battery. It will transfer power from the source battery to your ebike battery at the voltage and and current settings you have set. Much cheaper and more efficient than converting DC to AC then AC to DC.

Back