diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow Delta Pro - Best way to charge travel trailer's lithium batteries when needed?

babyrocket

I have an OEM dual Battleborn LiFePO4 lithium battery 12V setup in our travel trailer, with a Victron MPPT controller and some solar panels on the roof. It came with a way underpowered 1000w inverter that's basically useless. I've installed full MultiPlus-based systems in previous trailers, but this time I got an Ecoflow Delta Pro to serve as both additional battery capacity and a quality inverter to run the entire trailer when desired. When I do this I flip the breaker for the trailer's converter so I'm not charging the RV batteries but running everything else.

I have all connections to and from the Delta Pro set up except one. I will rarely want to charge the RV batteries with the Delta Pro, but when I do I'll want to go DC to DC and avoid using the Delta Pro's inverter to connect to the trailer's converter for charging due to all the loss from the 12V > 120V > 12V conversions. The Delta Pro has an Anderson Powerpole port that outputs 12V/30A. I assume I need to connect this port to a lithium battery charger for charging the RV batteries. If so, can someone recommend the right one to use?

Last edited:
Hello, I have a DP also, the battery is rated 3.6kWh.
If I had to charge a 12v battery through the anderson port I would put a 20a fuse inline (240W) and after some time if that fuse didn't open I'd try a 25a fuse. Not very scientific.
I don't know what the total capacity of your battleborn kit is, but if it was me I would not use the DP to charge another bank.

Last edited:
The Delta Pro's 12v output is 12.6v with a barely noticeable blinky fashion. I can see this flickering while powering LED lights on my household low voltage system. However all the electronics - router, ONT, POE and cameras are fine with the Ecoflow's power. However 12.6v is not enough to charge your Lifepo4 battery so either a DC-DC converter will be needed or some sort of AC charger.

Converting of any sort has loss and as the Delta Pro is converting 48v to 12v DC for its Anderson output, it has some loss doing so as well. I personally have weighed the cost of the extra items and for how often I would use them versus the alternatives.

For instance: The AC-DC charger already in the trailer is it adjustable? Can the Delta Pro handle it and the other loads needed? How efficient is it? Do you already have another LifePo4 battery charger? I would weigh these factors with how often I feel I would use it and the cost of a 12v DC charger into your decision.

I have an OEM dual Battleborn LiFePO4 lithium battery 12V setup in our travel trailer, with a Victron MPPT controller and some solar panels on the roof. It came with a way underpowered 1000w inverter that's basically useless. I've installed full MultiPlus-based systems in previous trailers, but this time I got an Ecoflow Delta Pro to serve as both additional battery capacity and a quality inverter to run the entire trailer when desired. When I do this I flip the breaker for the trailer's converter so I'm not charging the RV batteries but running everything else.

I have all connections to and from the Delta Pro set up except one. I will rarely want to charge the RV batteries with the Delta Pro, but when I do I'll want to go DC to DC and avoid using the Delta Pro's inverter to connect to the trailer's converter for charging due to all the loss from the 12V > 120V > 12V conversions. The Delta Pro has an Anderson Powerpole port that outputs 12V/30A. I assume I need to connect this port to a lithium battery charger for charging the RV batteries. If so, can someone recommend the right one to use?
Sounds like you have an Airstream! I've got a Caravel 22FB and I loaded the roof with 500w of solar and put 412ah of SOK lithium under the bed. I left the inverter alone. We only needed to run a coffee maker so I found one that is just under 1000 watts. We don't need the microwave or roof AC. The only change I want to make is to get the outside outlet powered by the inverter.

Also, you can charge your Delta Pro from your Battleborns (that are charged by solar) using the inverter but have to set the charging rate to about 800 watts or the inverter will trip off. I know thats backwards from your post where you're talking about the DP charging the Battleborns. Since the Battleborns have the solar, you may see that they can be a source of power for the DP.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a DP also, the battery is rated 3.6kWh.
If I had to charge a 12v battery through the anderson port I would put a 20a fuse inline (240W) and after some time if that fuse didn't open I'd try a 25a fuse. Not very scientific.
I don't know what the total capacity of your battleborn kit is, but if it was me I would not use the DP to charge another bank.
Likely, they are 100ah each as they are direct replacement for AGM batteries in terms of their physical dimensions.

Last edited:
The 12v output isn't going to be high enough to charge batteries. You're much better off to take the conversion losses and either use the converter or buy a $30 small 12v charger with a lithium profile.

I don't get it though. If the ecoflow is only 3.6kWh you don't have much battery to charge the battleborns, which are what 200ah?

Otherwise you can get a DC to dc charger that'll take 12.6v and output 14v or whatever. Get one 25a. You'd still have losses but they're about 7% instead of 15%

Back