diy solar

diy solar

EF Delta Pro “Fear of Frying”

Griddownprepper

Total novice here. I have 2 delta pros with 1 extra battery each, and (4) 160w panels setup in backyard. These panels have produced up to 600+ watts under total sun conditions, but really, how long does total sun last…. So, I want to put 3200 watt array (essentially 2 1600 watt for each unit) on the roof. Here’s my “dilemma”. Have watched enough videos to be confused. The units are limited to 150v and 15 amp input. I understand concepts of series/parallel/series-parallel. I understand the units will not charge over 150v, but will charge over 15 amps. Seems all the panels I’ve looked at would exceed 150v in series but would work in parallel and series/parallel but would greatly exceed 15 amps. But I ramble…Questions:
I assume going over the 15a there is a loss of efficiency. By exceeding 15a, how much efficiency is lost on input? Is this number derived by multiplying the total input voc by 15?
Would increasing the array output size ie: 1600 to 2400 make up for the loss in efficiency?
Also, is the acceptable input for the delta pro limited/effected by panel voltage (12v, 24v)?
The biggest question…Would exceeding the 15 amp limit fry the units?

Total novice here. I have 2 delta pros with 1 extra battery each, and (4) 160w panels setup in backyard. These panels have produced up to 600+ watts under total sun conditions, but really, how long does total sun last…. So, I want to put 3200 watt array (essentially 2 1600 watt for each unit) on the roof. Here’s my “dilemma”. Have watched enough videos to be confused. The units are limited to 150v and 15 amp input. I understand concepts of series/parallel/series-parallel. I understand the units will not charge over 150v, but will charge over 15 amps. Seems all the panels I’ve looked at would exceed 150v in series but would work in parallel and series/parallel but would greatly exceed 15 amps. But I ramble…Questions:
I assume going over the 15a there is a loss of efficiency. By exceeding 15a, how much efficiency is lost on input? Is this number derived by multiplying the total input voc by 15?
Would increasing the array output size ie: 1600 to 2400 make up for the loss in efficiency?
Also, is the acceptable input for the delta pro limited/effected by panel voltage (12v, 24v)?
The biggest question…Would exceeding the 15 amp limit fry the units?

I’ve over-amped (not -excessively) both of my pro, with no issues. They’ll only pull what they can and I’ve seen multiple reports from other owners saying the same. As far as over-paneling to compensate, wish i could help but thats beyond my knowledge. I don’t facebook, but I’m aware there is a delta owners group to join. Theres also a EF community page there and on reddit. The FB delta group may be able get you some more concrete answers.

The 150 volt is a hard limit do not exceed, when you set your array up use panel voc and adjust for cold temperatures in your area if you don’t adjust for temperature you could go over the 150 volt limit.
as far as the amps most scc allow for over paneling and will clip excess but double check with manufacturer on over paneling recommendations

The 150 volt is a hard limit do not exceed, when you set your array up use panel voc and adjust for cold temperatures in your area if you don’t adjust for temperature you could go over the 150 volt limit.
as far as the amps most scc allow for over paneling and will clip excess but double check with manufacturer on over paneling recommendations
Thanks for the advice. Perusing the forum, I’ve learned that cold increases voltage, though not clear on voltage increase/temp below optimum ratio. Living in CT temp avg in winter is approx 35 but I’ve seen 10 below on occasion…. Would being sure to not exceed, say, 120v at optimum input be a safe threshold? Would love to maximize watts but more concerned on not making 4 one hundred pound paperweights.

I’ve over-amped (not -excessively) both of my pro, with no issues. They’ll only pull what they can and I’ve seen multiple reports from other owners saying the same. As far as over-paneling to compensate, wish i could help but thats beyond my knowledge. I don’t facebook, but I’m aware there is a delta owners group to join. Theres also a EF community page there and on reddit. The FB delta group may be able get you some more concrete answers.
Thanks. It seems that over amping is not an issue, but I’ve seen a couple posts warning the possibility. Will be checking with customer service (which, so far has been great) but wanted to see some “real world” experience, too.

Thanks for the advice. Perusing the forum, I’ve learned that cold increases voltage, though not clear on voltage increase/temp below optimum ratio. Living in CT temp avg in winter is approx 35 but I’ve seen 10 below on occasion…. Would being sure to not exceed, say, 120v at optimum input be a safe threshold? Would love to maximize watts but more concerned on not making 4 one hundred pound paperweights.
There are chart’s that will help with temperature adjustment the factor for minus 30 is 1.25 so 120x1.25=150 also the panels may have a the exact number for temperature adjustment on the data sheet the figure I gave you is a generic number used in the industry

Thanks. It seems that over amping is not an issue, but I’ve seen a couple posts warning the possibility. Will be checking with customer service (which, so far has been great) but wanted to see some “real world” experience, too.
linspyre ecoholics website has a temp corrected voc calculator, and a chart that then applies specifically to EF power stations.

Back