diy solar

diy solar

Delta Pro volts/amp restrictions, choosing panels

Griddownprepper

Total novice here. I have 2 delta pros with 1 extra battery each, and (4) 160w panels setup in backyard. These panels have produced up to 600+ watts under total sun conditions, but really, how long does total sun last…. So, I want to put 3200 watt array (essentially 2 1600 watt for each unit) on the roof. Here’s my “dilemma”. Have watched enough videos to be confused. The units are limited to 150v and 15 amp input. I understand concepts of series/parallel/series-parallel. I understand the units will not charge over 150v, but will charge over 15 amps. Seems all the panels I’ve looked at would exceed 150v in series but would work in parallel and series/parallel but would greatly exceed 15 amps. But I ramble…Questions:
I assume going over the 15a there is a loss of efficiency. By exceeding 15a, how much efficiency is lost on input? Is this number derived by multiplying the total voc by 15?
Would increasing the array output size ie: 1600 to 2400 make up for the loss in efficiency?
Also, is the acceptable input for the delta pro limited/effected by panel voltage (12v, 24v)?
This stuff is expensive and don’t want to create 4 one hundred lb paper weights….thanks for any help.

assume going over the 15a there is a loss of efficiency
I’d assume that the unit’s design parameters call for a limit of 15A and may be damaged if exceeded
understand the units will not charge over 150v
I understand that if the VOC limit of 150V stated for a device is exceeded you can and likely will fry the unit.
how much efficiency is lost on input? Is this number derived by multiplying the total voc by 15?
If you exceed the amperage capacity and something melts or fuse blows I would say 100% of efficiency is lost on input.

Back