diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18K anomalies in logging or something to actually be worried about.

xtrorion

I have had my EG4 18k inverter running for quite some time, and it seems to be working flawless....no real complaints once we got it updated to solve the grid feedback issue, and go SS to configure with for true off grid config. However, I have seen these anomalies is voltage spikes when logging with SolarAssistant. I never saw these kind of anomalies with the 6500's I had installed, but I see them several times a week with the 18k. I was thinking this was just a logging/reporting issue, and did no worry about it. When I saw the other issue being reported (that Wil locked the thread this morning-EG3 18k caused massive voltage spike), I thought I should look at it closer. And I'll be damned if I did not find something interesting. If this was faulty reporting, then when it went back to normal, I should not see any impact, but this time, I did!

Basically, what I see is PV, load, and grid all jump up. Normally, it is a single data point, but what I am sharing here is all the data points in a 2 min period. Unlike the standard EG4 app, solar assistant captures multiple logs per min (not just every 5 min) and thus provides more resolution to what is happening. What I captured was this anomaly I have been seeing, and in the middle of the night. And it is suspiciously flat. An Anomaly right? Then why did the battery take a charge, and register a higher state of charge after this event? I am a bit freaked out by this. Normal solar production is at peak 7k this time of year.
1707792894097.png
1707793309608.png1707793371669.png
You can see from above that at least there is evidence that the battery did get some charge during this period (in the early AM). Now based on the SA, this battery power charge rate was only 275w for this period. But this must be real...Now I am not sure what else might be real with these voltage spike being registered. Now I went back and checked the same date/time logs in the EG4 app, and because of its very low resolution in terms of logging points, it missed it. It happened between their logging points. Do I have something to worry about here? And what do I do from here. I have so many examples, of this, they just dont normally last for 2 mins, and I never saw proof that at least some of the logging is true data. I suspect that the charge came from the grid as there is not solar at 3am...but I am stumped, and I think this does indicate a problem that is happening in the inverter which is also effecting the logging numbers and it is real. Thoughts?

Other examples without the details, as they were just spikes or I had no other evidence of impact. All of the logging is just wack during this times, so I though it was a logging issue...
1707794215105.png1707794331145.png

Last edited:
1707820320126.png
I don't have an Eg4 18k(wish I did) but I think you might be seeing the same garbage data that I occasionally see with Solar Assistant like in the graph above. I don't even have my inverter connected to the grid but SA seems to think it is. If those spikes were real I'd have some angry neighbors.

I see these "glitches" across several graphs, all aligned and occurring at the same time. Is that the same in your case? I've chalked it up to electrical noise and ignore it.

Back