diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV Grid Draw

I am wanting to run my 3/4 hp deep well pump, 2.5 ton heat pump / AC unit and my hot water heater. Also my dryer and range - all 240 volt.
I am trying to decide on the Shneider XW pro 6.8 or the new EG4 18k pv. I have been told that either one of these would handle all these 240 volt loads. The unit I purchase would only be doing these 240 volt loads, NO 110 loads. Obviously the well pump and hot water heater are on and off all day long. The AC runs a few hours during the day for about a month or so in the summer and the heat pump runs during the day & night in the spring, fall a about a month in the winter. Once it is 20 degrees or lower, it is no longer in use, so quite a bit of the winter the heat pump / ac is not in use. The dryer runs for about a half hour once a day about 3 days a week. The oven part of the range only gets used a couple of times a month, but one or two of the top burners are used once a day / every day. Anybody have any experience with the EG4 18k running a deep well pump and hot water heater at the same time? Along with a heat pump / ac? I am somewhat convinced that the Schneider XW pro can do it, but I only have reviews to base that on and no one seems to talk about well pumps or hot water heaters with them.

I am wanting to run my 3/4 hp deep well pump, 2.5 ton heat pump / AC unit and my hot water heater. Also my dryer and range - all 240 volt.
I am trying to decide on the Shneider XW pro 6.8 or the new EG4 18k pv. I have been told that either one of these would handle all these 240 volt loads. The unit I purchase would only be doing these 240 volt loads, NO 110 loads. Obviously the well pump and hot water heater are on and off all day long. The AC runs a few hours during the day for about a month or so in the summer and the heat pump runs during the day & night in the spring, fall a about a month in the winter. Once it is 20 degrees or lower, it is no longer in use, so quite a bit of the winter the heat pump / ac is not in use. The dryer runs for about a half hour once a day about 3 days a week. The oven part of the range only gets used a couple of times a month, but one or two of the top burners are used once a day / every day. Anybody have any experience with the EG4 18k running a deep well pump and hot water heater at the same time? Along with a heat pump / ac? I am somewhat convinced that the Schneider XW pro can do it, but I only have reviews to base that on and no one seems to talk about well pumps or hot water heaters with them.

I have basically everything you’re describing running on the 18k. Plus my 120v loads. Same well pump and ac unit size. But I have a soft start on the ac. (Which makes sense for anyone running off solar or a generator). I have a hybrid water heater. But I had to use the standard elements on it for two weeks because it malfunctioned. So Ive had a chance to test it in that way also. The 18k handles all these loads without issue.

I have basically everything you’re describing running on the 18k. Plus my 120v loads. Same well pump and ac unit size. But I have a soft start on the ac. (Which makes sense for anyone running off solar or a generator). I have a hybrid water heater. But I had to use the standard elements on it for two weeks because it malfunctioned. So Ive had a chance to test it in that way also. The 18k handles all these loads without issue.
Thanks for that follow up info Gavin. Enjoy your videos! Here I would only be running my 240v loads - NO 120 volts loads. And of course, like you stated in one of your videos, one has to be smart on what you can run and not run. So my main unit that I would not have any choice in is the well pump and the hot water heater. The rest, I can regulate.

Absolutely nothing. It's now using the relays to disengage the grid unless it's needed. This is why, I assume, it's going into EPS. It's acting as if there's grid loss but it knows there's not.

View attachment 154973
looking on this picture its look like the inverter is on off-grid mode. its not good for the relay to activate on and of when drawing from the grid, it will shorten the life of the relay.
is the inverter CT installed on the inverter grid input? it will show the power pulling from the grid.
there is a setting that can be calibrate the CT and its called CT power offset, Luxpower or distributor can set this.
fast zero export nothing to do about exporting to the grid, this setting is for faster reading with the inverter CT. but CT must install on the right place to work properly.

I would assume the transfer time during a grid assist is higher now since it is not in the continuous backup power mode.

Last edited:
looking on this picture its look like the inverter is on off-grid mode. its not good for the relay to activate on and of when drawing from the grid, it will shorten the life of the relay.
is the inverter CT installed on the inverter grid input? it will show the power pulling from the grid.
there is a setting that can be calibrate the CT and its called CT power offset, Luxpower or distributor can set this.
fast zero export nothing to do about exporting to the grid, this setting is for faster reading with the inverter CT. but CT must install on the right place to work properly.
There is no off grid mode on the EG4 version. We are at the mercy of EG4 on this one. The config for this unit is very limited and many things don't appear to work at all such as PV input selectors and quick charge.

My CTs are installed correctly.

While I know that any relay has a number of cycles before failure, there's a relay for a reason. If not to be used, why would it be there? I switch to grid maybe once a day in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
There is no off grid mode on the EG4 version. We are at the mercy of EG4 on this one. The config for this unit is very limited and many things don't appear to work at all such as PV input selectors and quick charge.

While I know that any relay has a number of cycles before failure, there's a relay for a reason. If not to be used, why would it be there? I switch to grid maybe once a day in the middle of the night.
You can enable Offgrid Output and Run Without Grid to achieve an off grid system, for the PV input selectors and quick charge not working if you would like to PM me your dongles information I can take a look at this for you.

We have the same config LuxPower does. This is a setting I have asked for and will be a option soon

You can enable Offgrid Output and Run Without Grid to achieve an off grid system
If you're saying you can just disconnect the grid and enable the setting "run without grid", well yes that kinda makes logical sense. But there's no setting to do so with grid connected. Although in the recent firmware change, or whatever you guys did to my unit, the relays disengage the grid unless there's a request from the grid for power. A couple posts up the forum member said that shouldn't happen. I'm not quite sure he's correct and you guys are the ones with your name on it, so you tell us... Should the relay only engage when grid power is required?

If you're saying you can just disconnect the grid and enable the setting "run without grid", well yes that kinda makes logical sense. But there's no setting to do so with grid connected. Although in the recent firmware change, or whatever you guys did to my unit, the relays disengage the grid unless there's a request from the grid for power. A couple posts up the forum member said that shouldn't happen. I'm not quite sure he's correct and you guys are the ones with your name on it, so you tell us... Should the relay only engage when grid power is required?
The transfer time after connecting the grid is 5 minutes.

Example. I'm on solar and battery with no grid. If I connect the grid, the inverter switches over to grid for around 5 minutes before switching back to solar and battery.

Make sure your AC charge times are correct (if used)

The transfer time after connecting the grid is 5 minutes.

Example. I'm on solar and battery with no grid. If I connect the grid, the inverter switches over to grid for around 5 minutes before switching back to solar and battery.

Make sure your AC charge times are correct (if used)
Apologies, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of this thread. My grid is always connected, there's just no sell back.

Yes the relay engages. I think what he’s saying and hopefully he will confirm. What he’s saying if it does it constantly then that’s bad. You should just connect to grid and the relay clicks, it shouldn’t be connecting and disconnecting every five minutes, that will wear the relay out

Back