diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000 EHV-48 Configuration Learning Curves

Capt Bill

Sailing Options
Redwood Valley, Cailfornia/ Montezuma, Costa Rica
The EG4 3000 EVH-48 is listed for Off Grid application, and is not specifically designed to be used as I configured it as an Automatic Home Backup Power Supply wo Solar IN; (posted in thread titled "EV4-3000EHV-48 configed as Auto Home BackUp wo Solar"); ... but it has many configuration options, including networking units together for more amps in single phase, split phase, triple phase; and the EG4 options include what I successfully configured.

Here is My Learning Curve Story ... on the specific unit I received , configuring via the button pressing method (as I have not yet tried the computer program interface). Here's my record of initially confusing ... EG4 configuration challenges that I encountered during my set up and testing phase, that were successfully resolved ... by my Configuration Work Around Choices.

My Most Notable Challenge appeared when I was Testing for Automatic Grid sourced battery charging. When I Applied Grid Input to my EG4 unit after it was powering 120Vac circuits via just the battery, wo solar, to initiate a grid sourced battery charging cycle; ... I got the EG4 battery charger cycling on, then off, and on, and off, and on, ... repeatedly, in about 5 second intervals. My Learning Curve Lesson: I had configured "Power Saving" Enabled; and it needed to be Disable (its' default) to get the grid source battery charging to function properly. Changing my EG4 3000's #32 Bulk Charge Time setting from its default Auto setting, to 15 or 20 mins, ... may have also been a resolution factor. Got past that one, and it is working how I want now.

A Related Lesson from my dialog with Signature Solar Tech Support: I believe the EG4's Power Saving Mode only works when configuring for Solar Only for battery charging and AC loads. I was told by Signature Solar Tech Timothy ... "It is designed to work Only with Solar ONLY configured for Charging the Battery." When I ask about the EG4 6000XP's Power Saving Mode option; I got .. "the EG4 6000XP, with "Green Function mode," the inverter will shut off if the load output is less than 60 watts for more than 10 minutes. The system will need to be turned back on manually. In "Battery Eco mode," the system will switch from battery to grid bypass mode until the batteries have been recharged. ... I personally think there is room for EG4 improvements in their arena of power savings options.

Some Other (for lack of a better word) Quirks I encountered: To Set #9 from 50 Hz to the USA standard 60 Hz; ...I had to plug in and supply 120 Vac 60 Hz Input to the EG4; ... & then it automatically changed the default 50 Hz setting to 60 Hz. When trying to set that up via push buttons. that # 9 setting was otherwise stuck at 50 Hz, with no way to change it. ... To set the # 28 AC Output Mode to SIG for single phase 120vac output, when it was stuck on PAL for a parallel network / same story: I had to supply single phase 120 Vac to the EG4, and it then automatically changed the #28 setting to SIG for single phase. I believe Off Grid folks configuring the EG4 3000 (& possibly other model or brand All In Ones) for 120 Vac, 60Hz, Single Phase Output may initially need 120Vac Inverter Generator input to the All In One unit (NOT from an older non inverter type generator) to make these types of configuration changes.

I have two other area of work around insights from; Testing my EG4 3000EHV-48, & my dialogue with Signature Solar. I will add my lesson notes later when this thread gets some attention and comments.

Despite My Initially Challenging Learning Curves : I Do Like the EG4-3000EHV-48 for its evolution of abilities. I am thinking of the EG4 6000XP for my next LiFePO4 Battery Wagon Build.

... Happy Days, & Best Wishes for All Your Endeavors ... from Capt Bill

Last edited:
I will be doing the same (UPS) with it setup on a cart to start, but I also got the renogy rover boost mppt to use my 2x130 watt folding solar panels in series as a backup charger when power is out. Will also test charging with my inverter generator (2500 watt) too.

Looks like you may be figuring out a lot I will run into when I get mine put together. I don’t plan grid tied full time just plugging in some times to keep it up and ready when the power does go out or if a storm is coming and chance of no power during the night running 2-refrigerators and a CPAP.
The furnace (oil) is planned for later (testing) and after adding more batteries. Wish I had a propane furnace it would be easier to set up than the pull of two motors for the old oil Lennox unit.

Good luck moving forward and please post more results and lessons learned.

I've been using the EG4 3000 for about three months now to run power a 10 circuit reliance transfer switch which runs two refrigerators, a freezer, two air handlers and some lighting and receptacles. So far no issues and it has been going strong.

There was one minor issue but it was my fault. When I first set it up I wired in an extension cord to the AC input and plugged it into my Bluetti AC200 max, which was a mistake. The EG4 matches whatever frequency is on the AC input and since the Bluetti actually isn't a perfect 60.0 hertz I had flickering LED lights in my house. The Bluetti actually has a frequency of 60.1-60.3 hz. After installing a proper 30 amp 120 volt dedicated circuit back to my main service panel the problem resolved itself and all is good now, no flickering lights. The EG4 matched the utility frequency and is producing a perfect 60 hz, even if disconnected from utlity.

So I just ordered this unit (instead of the $400 eg4 charger). My plan is to use it for now as an AC in to charge the battery during off peak hours, and eventually add solar inputs.

Can it do this.. and can I program it to only charge during 12am and 2pm and is there a way to feed battery details (from my DIY battery that has a chinese BMS) so that it stops charging once the battery is at 80%?

So I just ordered this unit (instead of the $400 eg4 charger). My plan is to use it for now as an AC in to charge the battery during off peak hours, and eventually add solar inputs.

Can it do this.. and can I program it to only charge during 12am and 2pm and is there a way to feed battery details (from my DIY battery that has a chinese BMS) so that it stops charging once the battery is at 80%?
My LV2424s have setting for time related charging (which I have not used). Not sure if the EG4 has those setting (not gona study the manual, but do not remember seeing EG4 setting for that ???)

Here's some info that might help someone trying to configure and EG4 with DIY LiFePO4s for auto generator start and stop cycles ...

Quirks: : EG4 6000XP and related EG4-3000 EHV-48 Limitations on User Defined Battery settings

A Question I asked Signature Solar: Is there a "User Defined" battery setting
in the EG4- 6000XP ? .. for DIY type/ assembled LiFePO4 Battery Banks ?
... for Do It Yourself built from individual LifePO4 cells ...hooked up to their own independent BMS battery management system
for Battery Bank Connected to an EG4- 6000XP via Battery Cables Only. I was wondering after studying the 6000XP Manual and Battery compatibility list.

THE Answer I got Back was "set the Battery Type setting to Lead Acid, which will effectively act as a User-defined mode."
(for customer using a DIY built LiFePO4 Battery with its own separate BMS, with the EG4 6000XP.

... I later suggested that info might be included in the EG4-6000XP Manual, and/or Battery Compatibility List.

********* My Next Question re the EG4-3000 EHV-48 I have configured and am using on USER DEFINED for my DIY Built LiFePO4 configure with a separate JK BMS, and no networking wires. I NOTICED the Two Settings NOT Available to me in "User-Defined Mode", that I Definitely Want the option to USE: Setting #12 ... "Point back at Grid" ... for (Low voltage level that switches the load to utility if SOL or SUB has been set in Program 1). & Setting #13 ... " Point back to Battery" (Charged battery voltage level that switches the load to battery ..if (same as above). Both those setting have NOTE: "This is ONLY for AGM and FLD battery types.

MY Question: Could I select AGM or FLD as my battery type for a DIY built LiFePO4? ... and then have access to also using
the EG4-3000 EHV-48's setting #12 and #13 ... so I could have those set up option for my DIY LiFePO4 builds?

Answer Back was : "Of Course" (Yes) ...

If you experiment with that info. on LiFePO4s, ... Make sure Battery Equalization is Disabled (likely default?

... While these kind of quirks have work arounds, ... I hope there will be a Firmware Update to make the EG4 setting options BETTER,
... for all EG4 customers, including those using User Defined for their non server rack - DIY built LiFePO4s. ... MY Two Cents :+)

Last edited:
That is interesting. Haven't done any setup yet, but strange you would have to select AGM or FLD instead of LFP (if that's an option)? for your DIY LFP with it's own BMS. I would agree and hope that there would be more info on this.
To answer the "does it have a time function" I found out the 3K does NOT. So.. I am hoping that I can shut it off (via an automated IoT switch) and turn it on.. and that doing that wont break the unit, or cause problems. OR.. automate on/off some breaker switch in between but I think that wont work right due to the battery can be charged but ALSO provide power through the EG4 inverter. I could maybe just use the inverter for charging (via AC during offpeak AND solar when I can add panels) and NOT use the inverter of the EG4.. and plug in my 48v to 24v inverter I bought (Victron) to charge my Ecoflow River 2 Pro (it can only handle 50v max, hence need to convert 48v to 24v to not overload the inputs on the ecoflow 750wh unit).

The EG4 3000EVH-48 is listed for Off Grid application, and is not specifically designed to be used as I configured it as an Automatic Home Backup Power Supply wo Solar IN; (posted in thread titled "EV4-3000EHV-48 configed as Auto Home BackUp wo Solar"); ... but it has many configuration options, including networking units together for more amps in single phase, split phase, triple phase; and the EG4 options include what I successfully configured.

Here is My Learning Curve Story ... on the specific unit I received , configuring via the button pressing method (as I have not yet tried the computer program interface). Here's my record of initially confusing ... EG4 configuration challenges that I encountered during my set up and testing phase, that were successfully resolved ... by my Configuration Work Around Choices.

My Most Notable Challenge appeared when I was Testing for Automatic Grid sourced battery charging. When I Applied Grid Input to my EG4 unit after it was powering 120Vac circuits via just the battery, wo solar, to initiate a grid sourced battery charging cycle; ... I got the EG4 battery charger cycling on, then off, and on, and off, and on, ... repeatedly, in about 5 second intervals. My Learning Curve Lesson: I had configured "Power Saving" Enabled; and it needed to be Disable (its' default) to get the grid source battery charging to function properly. Changing my EG4 3000's #32 Bulk Charge Time setting from its default Auto setting, to 15 or 20 mins, ... may have also been a resolution factor. Got past that one, and it is working how I want now.

A Related Lesson from my dialog with Signature Solar Tech Support: I believe the EG4's Power Saving Mode only works when configuring for Solar Only for battery charging and AC loads. I was told by Signature Solar Tech Timothy ... "It is designed to work Only with Solar ONLY configured for Charging the Battery." When I ask about the EG4 6000XP's Power Saving Mode option; I got .. "the EG4 6000XP, with "Green Function mode," the inverter will shut off if the load output is less than 60 watts for more than 10 minutes. The system will need to be turned back on manually. In "Battery Eco mode," the system will switch from battery to grid bypass mode until the batteries have been recharged. ... I personally think there is room for EG4 improvements in their arena of power savings options.

Some Other (for lack of a better word) Quirks I encountered: To Set #9 from 50 Hz to the USA standard 60 Hz; ...I had to plug in and supply 120 Vac 60 Hz Input to the EG4; ... & then it automatically changed the default 50 Hz setting to 60 Hz. When trying to set that up via push buttons. that # 9 setting was otherwise stuck at 50 Hz, with no way to change it. ... To set the # 28 AC Output Mode to SIG for single phase 120vac output, when it was stuck on PAL for a parallel network / same story: I had to supply single phase 120 Vac to the EG4, and it then automatically changed the #28 setting to SIG for single phase. I believe Off Grid folks configuring the EG4 3000 (& possibly other model or brand All In Ones) for 120 Vac, 60Hz, Single Phase Output may initially need 120Vac Inverter Generator input to the All In One unit (NOT from an older non inverter type generator) to make these types of configuration changes.

I have two other area of work around insights from; Testing my EG4 3000EHV-48, & my dialogue with Signature Solar. I will add my lesson notes later when this thread gets some attention and comments.

Despite My Initially Challenging Learning Curves : I Do Like the EG4-3000EHV-48 for its evolution of abilities. I am thinking of the EG4 6000XP for my next LiFePO4 Battery Wagon Build.

You can turn the inverter off after PV input is removed/switched and AC input is off. It will stay on and you can change the settings.

The EG4 3000EVH-48 is listed for Off Grid application, and is not specifically designed to be used as I configured it as an Automatic Home Backup Power Supply wo Solar IN; (posted in thread titled "EV4-3000EHV-48 configed as Auto Home BackUp wo Solar"); ... but it has many configuration options, including networking units together for more amps in single phase, split phase, triple phase; and the EG4 options include what I successfully configured.

Thanks Capt Bill for the wiring information. Questions: Why isn't input voltage being shown on panel? How can I determine if my battery is being charged? I have followed your advice on program settings as best I can. My settings configurations are:
DESCRIPTION DEFAULT Capt Bill CHNG
OUTPUT OUTPUT SOURCE PRIORITY 01 UB1
MAXIMUM CHARGING CURRENT 02 60
AC INPUT VOLTAGE RANGE 03 APL 03 APL
POWER SAVINGS MODE 04 5D5 04 5D5
BATTERY TYPE 05 AGN 05 FLD
AUTO RESTART ON OVERLOAD 06 LFD 06 LFE
AUTO RESTART ON OVERTEMP 07 EFD 06 EFE
OUTPUT VOLTAGE 08 120
OUTPUT FREQUENCY 09 50 09 60
LOAD BYPASS 10 MNL 10 AEO
MAX UTIL CHARGE CURRENT 11 30A 11 28A
POINT BACK TO UTILITY 12 46
POINT BACK TO BATTERY 13 FUL
CHARGER SOURCE PRIORITY 16 SNU 16 CUE
BUZZER MODE 18 ND4
AUTO DISPLAY RETURN 19 ESP
BACK LIGHT CTRL 20 LON
LOAD BYPASS 23 BYD 23 BYE
MODBUS ID 25 NOD 001
BULK CHARGING VOLTAGE 26 CU 56.4
FLOATING CHARGING VOLTAGE 27 FLU 54.0
AC OUTPUT MODE 28 SIG
LOW DC CUT-OFF VOLTAGE 29 COU 42.0
PV JUDGE CONDITION 30 ALL
BULK CHARGING TIME 32 AUE 32 15/20
BATTERY EQUALIZATION 33 ED5
BATTERY EQUALIZED VOLTAGE 34 EU 58.4
BATTERY EQUALIZED TIME 35 60
BATTERY EQUALIZED TIMEOUT 36 120
EQUALIZATION INTERVAL 37 30D
EQUALIZATION ACTIVATED IMMED 39 AD5
SETTING SOC=>UTILITY 43 050
SETTING SOC=>BATTERY 44 095
SOC LOW DC CUTOFF 45 020

My LV2424s have setting for time related charging (which I have not used). Not sure if the EG4 has those setting (not gona study the manual, but do not remember seeing EG4 setting for that ???)

Here's some info that might help someone trying to configure and EG4 with DIY LiFePO4s for auto generator start and stop cycles ...

Quirks: : EG4 6000XP and related EG4-3000 EHV-48 Limitations on User Defined Battery settings

A Question I asked Signature Solar: Is there a "User Defined" battery setting
in the EG4- 6000XP ? .. for DIY type/ assembled LiFePO4 Battery Banks ?
... for Do It Yourself built from individual LifePO4 cells ...hooked up to their own independent BMS battery management system
for Battery Bank Connected to an EG4- 6000XP via Battery Cables Only. I was wondering after studying the 6000XP Manual and Battery compatibility list.

THE Answer I got Back was "set the Battery Type setting to Lead Acid, which will effectively act as a User-defined mode."
(for customer using a DIY built LiFePO4 Battery with its own separate BMS, with the EG4 6000XP.

... I later suggested that info might be included in the EG4-6000XP Manual, and/or Battery Compatibility List.

********* My Next Question re the EG4-3000 EHV-48 I have configured and am using on USER DEFINED for my DIY Built LiFePO4 configure with a separate JK BMS, and no networking wires. I NOTICED the Two Settings NOT Available to me in "User-Defined Mode", that I Definitely Want the option to USE: Setting #12 ... "Point back at Grid" ... for (Low voltage level that switches the load to utility if SOL or SUB has been set in Program 1). & Setting #13 ... " Point back to Battery" (Charged battery voltage level that switches the load to battery ..if (same as above). Both those setting have NOTE: "This is ONLY for AGM and FLD battery types.

MY Question: Could I select AGM or FLD as my battery type for a DIY built LiFePO4? ... and then have access to also using
the EG4-3000 EHV-48's setting #12 and #13 ... so I could have those set up option for my DIY LiFePO4 builds?

Answer Back was : "Of Course" (Yes) ...

If you experiment with that info. on LiFePO4s, ... Make sure Battery Equalization is Disabled (likely default?

... While these kind of quirks have work arounds, ... I hope there will be a Firmware Update to make the EG4 setting options BETTER,
... for all EG4 customers, including those using User Defined for their non server rack - DIY built LiFePO4s. ... MY Two Cents :+)
I have been wondering and looking for this info..DIY batteries and the EG4v settings.Thanks

Thanks Capt Bill for the wiring information. Questions: Why isn't input voltage being shown on panel? How can I determine if my battery is being charged? I have followed your advice on program settings as best I can. My settings configurations are:
DESCRIPTION DEFAULT Capt Bill CHNG
OUTPUT OUTPUT SOURCE PRIORITY 01 UB1
MAXIMUM CHARGING CURRENT 02 60
AC INPUT VOLTAGE RANGE 03 APL 03 APL
POWER SAVINGS MODE 04 5D5 04 5D5
BATTERY TYPE 05 AGN 05 FLD
AUTO RESTART ON OVERLOAD 06 LFD 06 LFE
AUTO RESTART ON OVERTEMP 07 EFD 06 EFE
OUTPUT VOLTAGE 08 120
OUTPUT FREQUENCY 09 50 09 60
LOAD BYPASS 10 MNL 10 AEO
MAX UTIL CHARGE CURRENT 11 30A 11 28A
POINT BACK TO UTILITY 12 46
POINT BACK TO BATTERY 13 FUL
CHARGER SOURCE PRIORITY 16 SNU 16 CUE
BUZZER MODE 18 ND4
AUTO DISPLAY RETURN 19 ESP
BACK LIGHT CTRL 20 LON
LOAD BYPASS 23 BYD 23 BYE
MODBUS ID 25 NOD 001
BULK CHARGING VOLTAGE 26 CU 56.4
FLOATING CHARGING VOLTAGE 27 FLU 54.0
AC OUTPUT MODE 28 SIG
LOW DC CUT-OFF VOLTAGE 29 COU 42.0
PV JUDGE CONDITION 30 ALL
BULK CHARGING TIME 32 AUE 32 15/20
BATTERY EQUALIZATION 33 ED5
BATTERY EQUALIZED VOLTAGE 34 EU 58.4
BATTERY EQUALIZED TIME 35 60
BATTERY EQUALIZED TIMEOUT 36 120
EQUALIZATION INTERVAL 37 30D
EQUALIZATION ACTIVATED IMMED 39 AD5
SETTING SOC=>UTILITY 43 050
SETTING SOC=>BATTERY 44 095
SOC LOW DC CUTOFF 45 020
Re wanting input voltage to battery to show on screen. I think you could find that by toggling through EG4's LCD screen that shows a variety of info . If you like one info screen best, you can configure that screen to show first (or go back to a default 1st choice info screen ... My two cents 🐾🐾🐾🎶

... is there a way to feed battery details (from my DIY battery that has a chinese BMS) so that it stops charging once the battery is at 80%?
Re desire to charge DIY Battery bank to 80% SOC. ... Going by memory, ... I think your options include setting bulk absorption voltage, then float voltage. I think you would have to pick a voltage that reflects what you want. Also; for Absorption charge, there is a time setting set as "auto", that can be changed from 1 minute to maybe 200 mins??? (which I set at 15 or 20 mins). ... My two cents

Back