diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3KW tripping battery breaker??

BattleAxe

I have an EG4 3KW (V2) mated to an EG4 48V LL battery.
It will not run my circular saw, it is instantly throwing the battery breaker?
Would you think this is normal? No other loads on it at the time. I’m figuring 20 amps with a surge at start up.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Do you have clamp-on Amp meter that can capture the surge current when the saw is started up?
What is the spec of the saw?

It’s a 25 or so year old craftsman saw, nothing real heavy duty, not sure of the specs, I’ll have to get a clamp on amp meter.

Well I’ve done a couple of things.
I ran it in bypass mode (hooked up to the grid) and it does fine, doesn’t trip the battery breaker.
On battery power it starts the saw up and runs about 50% of the time, the other 50% the battery breaker trips

I put a clamp meter on it and the highest I saw in rush was 55 amps

I think I saw about the same on the inverter display in bypass as it flashed before it settled down to about a 15 amp constant.

The breaker on the battery reads 100 amp so I’m not sure what’s happening but it should handle it I would think.

Well I’ve done a couple of things.
I ran it in bypass mode (hooked up to the grid) and it does fine, doesn’t trip the battery breaker.
On battery power it starts the saw up and runs about 50% of the time, the other 50% the battery breaker trips

I put a clamp meter on it and the highest I saw in rush was 55 amps

I think I saw about the same on the inverter display in bypass as it flashed before it settled down to about a 15 amp constant.

The breaker on the battery reads 100 amp so I’m not sure what’s happening but it should handle it I would think.
55amps DC on the battery cable? Or 55 amps on the AC side?

55amps DC on the battery cable? Or 55 amps on the AC side?
AC SIDE
The best I can tell on the DC SIDE, when it doesn’t trip is about 60 amps.
My clamp won’t hold an in rush reading on the DC side or at least I don’t know how to set it.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I updated the firmware and now it works perfectly, even added an extra 60 watt load to it when I tried, hasn’t tripped the breaker yet. I have the saw plugged up and when I walk by it I give it a try, probably ran 8-10 times and it hasn’t failed.

Back