diy solar

diy solar

EG4 48 volt rack battery with EG4 3kw inverter as mentioned in Will's video

Refuse1

In Will's latest video he suggests using a 48volt rack mount battery combined with a 48 volt all in one inverter for RV use. This pretty much checks every box for me except how do I charge via alternator while driving ?

Best bet would be getting a second, 48V alternator. I don't know of a great solution for stepping up from 12V to 48V. Additionally it would be a huge strain on your current alternator. If you are relying heavily on your RV, you would certainly need to carry around a second alternator for when yours ultimately gives out.

I had given the same thoughts in my mini MH.. Balmar makes a 48v alternator, but it requires 12v DC to DC step back down for any 12v items of course if using the house batt, certainly not insurmountable.. so you have to get the 12v back down to the DC panel somehow. The winnebago BOLT is set up this way, it has 58 volt charger for its "house" batts, along with solar and primary alternator/batt driving 12volt stuff.. if it were designed from the beginning, it could be light and powerful. In my case, I have an Ekko, and its pretty well married to Lithionics12v, which do not want their batts in series.. but in your case, maybe consider get the unit with a heater ( Will says maybe dont need heat), Nations starter and alternator has systems like that that use a 48v second alt but they are pricey for D2D using the Wakefield controller/regulator. so in my case, I decided to upgrade my Balmar 12v to a better unit, and the Wakefield controller, probably about 2k or 2500$. I dont have a generator, simply increase my charging capability overall with a better MPPT controller, one more panel, upgraded coach charger, and tap the primary alternator with an Orion 30 amp.. my primary alt is also 170a.. with a remote sw.. I think each person needs to sit down and think about what they are driving with it. in my case, its a small RV that can run off a 2k inverter on 12v, and in my case, its very tight for space.. certainly could be done though.. I only have a microaire /GE1200 watt a/C to really contend with, and my microwave has a dual cutout for the A/C if you forget.

Back