diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000 bypass mode

wingedlizard

I am moving from growatt 3000 to eg4 6000 xp. I would like to put the EG4 in bypass mode when I charge my EV ( run grid through the EG4 to car charger), But I'm not sure how this works. Is there a simple setting ( Web, Mobile, control panel) that I can manually change this.

It seems like the unit will do this automatically, but even at low EV charge rates ( 240v @ 8a ), My battery either cycles or gives out before the charge completes ( takes about 12 hours at the low charge rate).

My EG4 grid AC in as 50Amps and my car charger usually runs at 32amps, so my thought would be to switch it to bypass, and start the car charging, then switch it back when it is finished.

Currently running with 1 EG4 LL battery ( 100ah) . My other batteries (48v @ 150ah or 24v @ 300ah) are used with the growatt, they are not EG4s, but I plan to move them over when I switch inverters.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have solar assistant running on the growatt. As a test I moved it over to EG4. The Solar Assisant TAB where I usually change growatt into bypass mode) reports that it is 'under construction'. So I won't be able to change it this way... Yet...

On the web page there is a 'working mode' button. it looks like I can program the EG4 6000 XP to be in AC only mode during certain time periods -- like 12:00 am to 8:00 am.

Does anybody know if I can get my full 40 amps ( NEMA 14-50 plug) or am I limited to 25amps ( 6kw ) output of the EG4?

On the web page there is a 'working mode' button. it looks like I can program the EG4 6000 XP to be in AC only mode during certain time periods -- like 12:00 am to 8:00 am.

Does anybody know if I can get my full 40 amps ( NEMA 14-50 plug) or am I limited to 25amps ( 6kw ) output of the EG4?
I believe the 50 amp passthrough is specifically for charging your batteries while supplying power to your loads, so you would still be limited to 25a output.

I am moving from growatt 3000 to eg4 6000 xp. I would like to put the EG4 in bypass mode when I charge my EV ( run grid through the EG4 to car charger), But I'm not sure how this works. Is there a simple setting ( Web, Mobile, control panel) that I can manually change this.

It seems like the unit will do this automatically, but even at low EV charge rates ( 240v @ 8a ), My battery either cycles or gives out before the charge completes ( takes about 12 hours at the low charge rate).

My EG4 grid AC in as 50Amps and my car charger usually runs at 32amps, so my thought would be to switch it to bypass, and start the car charging, then switch it back when it is finished.

Currently running with 1 EG4 LL battery ( 100ah) . My other batteries (48v @ 150ah or 24v @ 300ah) are used with the growatt, they are not EG4s, but I plan to move them over when I switch inverters.

Thanks
Why would you bother with this complexity? Run the EV outlet/circuit from the grid/panel, on an appropriately sized breaker. Drop it behind a cheap ATS if desired. Mine is but I charge from solar as primary, with backup direct to the grid panel. I can manually trip the ATS if I want to charge from the grid. If you use an ATS when you upgrade your solar next go around with a 2nd inverter, and it can handle the load, just flip the feed breaker on from the solar panel.

I ran #4 out to my charging pedestal, but I de-rated to a 50A breaker in both the solar panel, and grid panel. I may tweak, the next go around original idea was to run 70 out of the grid and a duplex charger, I have two EV's. I have a monitor I wrote that cuts the EV ATS to grid if my overall panel load exceeds 90A, and won't trip back until it falls below 50A. It has tripped twice in the past, then I bought an OpenEVSE unit and I now just control my charging rate based on multiple criteria.

Setting the time for when you would like Grid input to prioritize powering loads can be done in the AC first portion of the monitoring site or on setting 15 on the LCD display.

1718123800138.png1718123763082.png

Setting the time for when you would like Grid input to prioritize powering loads can be done in the AC first portion of the monitoring site or on setting 15 on the LCD display.

View attachment 221340View attachment 221339
EG4 Jared, when it is set to AC Priority, how many amps @ 240V can I pull? Can I pull my full grid AC in ( which is currently 40A)? or am I limited to the 6000W Limit of the EG4 ( eg 25 Amps)?

You would be limited to the 6000W limit of the 6000XP. An additional 3000W can be used for charging the batteries from the grid during this time.

diy solar

diy solar
Back