diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX-48 not seeing generator

Wish I could, But screen shows the gen when running both L1-L2 120v 30a. But the dotted line never appears showing connection.
It will not allow it to connect with the inverter or battery bank.
Removed the wires and went directly to breaker panel and it powers everything fine.

Then it's possible the generator isn't putting out "clean enough" power for the inverter to accept. Looks like the frequency range for the grid connection is 57-63hz and if the generator is outside of that range, it won't work.

If that's the case, then the chargeverter that @Zapper77 suggested would be the cheapest option.

metered hz show approximately 60.8 and 61 from gen, close but not 60 steady.
Ordered the charger, hoping for going directly to bank and bypassing the inverter will cure it up.
thanks.

Ordered the charger, hoping for going directly to bank and bypassing the inverter will cure it up.
thanks.
The AIO can be very sensitive to the sinewave.

Is your work generator a "construction" or "Inverter"?

thanks.
Did you see my link in post 3?
Have you reduced AC charging current (setting 11) to 0a and brought it up in increments?
Did you add try adding a separate load to the generator then trying to charge?
Setting 02 is on APL?
Settings 10 is SNU?

No charging timers are set and you are below programmed battery voltage to start charging?

So the saga continues......... Finally received the eg4 5000 100 amp charger.
Went this route because of the generator would not run thru the eg4 6000.
Further tests show the ac wave most likley was that cause, even tech support agreed.

Now the fun begins, unbox it and there is a small dent on the side, strange the box is perfectly fine with no markings other than some minor dirt like it slid around on the shelf of the truck.

Install it and hook the cables up to the battery bank. (yes I even did the end swapping on the buss bar of both the inverter and charger +and- that i saw mentioned in this forum)
Plug it in and it does not work.
Lights come on fans are spinning but no output to battery's.

Go thru the the set up both the battery voltage and the charge amp Still nothing shows on the panel for output side.
Went thru set up many times changing the ranges of battery and amp from lowest to highest seeing if there was a correct point to make it start charging, But Nothing ever made the display change from 0 on the output side.

Recall reading about possibly the internal coming loose, pulled the cover off and the apparent fix from the factory was to glue the hell out of the internals. but checked connections anyway. All was good when plugged in with gen running, solid green lights everywhere. But still no output side on the screen and the charge light never flashing green like it should when charging. Call it a day and went inside.

This morning go back to recheck everything, Notice the battery bank lights are down to 2 green lights on all 6 batteries, strange they were all at 4 green lights last night and the inverter was off so nothing should be draining it.
But ok they need recharging now, so back to running the gen and going thru charger set again with full range of settings
but never showing output to bank.

Get tech on phone explain problem, Wants pic of screen and how I hooked it up?
Do that, I tell him its simple, attach leads to buss bar and plug it into the 220v wall plug.
show him the screen of no output, Ask me what position the unit breaker is in. (look at the picture I sent it is in the ON position)
Unit will not charge. Says he'll get back to me.
Calls and want me to change setting and send him pic's of screen, Are you kidding me?
When I explained to him I have already tried and retried varying the setting of both the voltage and charge rates and still never showing output on the screen, He says he has to see it.
Sorry to late, have unconnected it and put it back in the box for return, as it does NOT work.

It is a shame that you drop 18k on a system that only halfway works, the pv side is good but trying to get other charge mode has been a pain. The cheap home depot 12v system has been working great pv panel and external 55a charger when no sun has been only needing to keep battery water checked for over 2 years now.

Waiting to see if they are going to exchange or refund the charger.
Rant over.....

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues.
I'd suggest posting photos of your setup here so you can get better support.
I've never used the chargeverter, it should be a relatively simple device.

The system is working well using just the pv to charge the battery stack.
The inverter is supplying the breaker box power and have been using outlets in the loft for power tools and such while building the house.
Problem came when lack of sunshine, So thats when the direct gen came into play.
But the inverter does not like it, So the Adding the battery charger seemed the best route as it is not as sensitive as the inverter to it.
Problem is the damn charger has no output, Have watched many videos of it both here and boobtube, each one shows the output screen working on the unit, even when the settings are changed.
But alas this one does NOT!

The company that sold it wants me to send video of it and changes made so they can justify the return.
Oddly during my searching for what may be wrong, I did find some helpful tip on why it drained the bank down overnight, seems that you should turn OFF the units breaker when not in use. something that would be nice in the instructions.
And one even showed to have the breaker off when making changes in setting.

I have done all the different ways and still nothing makes it charge.
But now come the fight for the return of it. But the suns out today so back to work.

I am following your thread as I may purchase one of the all in ones and was planning to use my winco 10k to feed the batteries in a blackout in winter. I'm not going off grid, I want to do net metering with a battery backup as I own my own pole and disconnect out by the road and underground utilities to the home. I know this isn't your setup, but your generator issues has me concerned. Just curious to see how the generator issue works out.

I am also curious about your chargeverter experience, do you think the whole thing was junk or just the unit. I've already been told that since my unit is only 10k I would need a chargeverter by another member on this board. The winco is a pretty solid brand, has breakers and multiple outputs, so I am curious about your experience.

Well I am far from being a expert in this area, But following the KISS (keep it simple stupid) program.
The inverter unit has worked well on pv panels only so that part of the system is good.
Would have been nice to have the info about generator hook up included in the infomation manual for it.

The generator is good for standard uses, but the inverter is picky about type of generator used on the ac input side as I have found out, If I could have spent the extra $ for a better one like the Honda it may have been working without a problem.
But I am working with what I have.

The Charger is the bypass for the inverter ac hook up, Leaving the inverter to deal with pv and breaker panel job.
Using information from the forum here it seems thats the best way to keep the stress off the inverter so it may last longer.

After pouring through the forum and videos here, I would have to say the charger sent to me was the problem.
It never showed any signs of life like many others did in the videos others have posted as they unboxed and installed it.
So awaiting a replacement unit for it.

Back