diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP clicking

MaikaiLife

Solar Enthusiast
I have a situation where I was asked to look at a client's relatively new 6000XP. When the generator starts, the unit clicks and clicks and clicks, and if you let it click long enough, it eventually restarts the inverter.

Anyone have any idea why this would make this clicking noise when the Generator is running? It's a quality 12Kw Kohler generator designed for backup power situations.

See the video

Last edited:
I would guess the clicking is from a relay that is not properly picking up and staying in position. Your client may have a faulty part in his AIO. Though it could be bad power from the generator. If you have a spare inverter generator about you could test to see if the clicking happened with it being used.

Where is the generator connected? To the generator input? Video seems to show grid power. Hard to have an opinion, need a wiring diagram. I thought the unit was 240v? Why is everything 120?

There are no closeups on the display before you engage the breaker. As you engage the breaker we see the voltage dropping to 118 and back up to 162ish then down to 120. The High tension icon (gen?) appears to stabilize at ~123v when out of the loop. SWAG: The genny drags down the voltage, the relay dis-engages, voltage starts to rise at the outputs from the inverter, the relay re-engages for the genny, lather, rinse repeat.

Could you post a picture of the wiring along with a diagram, and provide the settings and firmware version of the inverter? Additionally, do you know the THD of the generator and how many neutral-ground bonds are present?

diy solar

diy solar
Back