diy solar

diy solar

Help with EG4 6000XP Generator Remote Start Wiring to Kohler Generator

eshultz99

Hi Folks,

I'm having an issue getting my Kohler 12RES generator to auto start when the generator relay is activated on the 6000XP. My Kohler has a 2-wire connection labelled #3 and #4. I ran new wires from the generator to the GEN NO1 and COM1 terminals. I can hear the relay clicking and the contacts are closing verified with a multimeter. Signature Solar has verified my settings.

The auto start was working fine with my old Xantrex inverters. However, the generator connections ran through an automatic transfer switch which has been bypassed.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the Koher start circuit is not compatible with my new inverters.

Thanks,

Ed

It may be that the Kohler needs to have voltage supplied 12V?? to activate the start up cycle. Do you have a wiring diagram for the Kohler?

Xantrex became Schneider and I know the more recent Conext inverters supply 12V at the Aux contact. I believe the 6000XP is a "dry contact".

Thanks BentleyJ,
At this point I may be looking at a generator issue. I've been told that a dry contact should work, however it is not. I'll do further testing before I call a Kohler technician.

Just for curiosity sake I looked up the manual for the 12RES and it does say that remote starting can be achieved by contact closure connected to leads 3 & 4.
The Gen Controller is powered by the starting battery so I'm thinking there should be voltage present on the start leads. That would be my first test.

Hi Folks,

I'm having an issue getting my Kohler 12RES generator to auto start when the generator relay is activated on the 6000XP. My Kohler has a 2-wire connection labelled #3 and #4. I ran new wires from the generator to the GEN NO1 and COM1 terminals. I can hear the relay clicking and the contacts are closing verified with a multimeter. Signature Solar has verified my settings.

The auto start was working fine with my old Xantrex inverters. However, the generator connections ran through an automatic transfer switch which has been bypassed.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the Koher start circuit is not compatible with my new inverters.

Thanks,

Ed
Would you be able to show pictures on how everything is wired?

Back