diy solar

diy solar

Modified Hyundai Electric Start Generator for Remote Start and Extended Tank

MetricMoose

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd share my efforts to modify an off-the-shelf Hyundai HY3500P generator from Princess Auto for use at an off-grid wireless ISP tower site.

A couple years ago, my employer acquired a small wireless ISP network to expand into one region in Northern Ontario. This network has an off-grid tower site that was pretty critical to one region of the network. The power draw is about 50W continuously from a router and some wireless devices, it has eight 325W panels, one small wind turbine that was probably mounted a bit too low to be effective, and 210AH of SLA batteries wired in two strings of 48V. LiFePO4 would be great, but temperatures get down to -30°C in an unheated shack. Six of the panels are connected to the Outback FM60 MPPT with 3 sets of 2 panels in series. A second MPPT controller, a Tristar 60, has another 2 panels facing another direction.

This setup worked flawlessly during the spring, summer and fall but was a major headache over the last two winters. The short days with a lot of overcast skies and snowfall covering the panels meant we had often had to take a kilometer hike on snowshoes up the small mountain to clear off the panels and start a small Honda generator to power a Meanwell 1000W 48V battery charger. Our snowmobile had a difficult time with the deep snow and the narrow, densely treed path, and you'd still have to hike the last 150 meters regardless.

In an effort to reduce the amount of visits to the site, we started looking into some remote start generator options. Locally, we couldn't find anything that fit our situation. We looked into some diesel options and they were expensive, large and would be extremely difficult to lug into the site. Propane posed the same challenge, refueling would involve dragging tanks up and down the hill by hand on the last few steep parts. We are also looking to abandon the location due to a number of other factors besides power (The tower itself is very light duty and would be difficult to replace, the location isn't great for RF with all the targeted sites being within one narrow azimuth causing overlap in channels), so we also needed something that could be reused elsewhere and would not be difficult to install/remove.

Looking through other local sources, we found a good candidate generator for $1000 CAD, the Hyundai HY3500P. It was compact, had electric start, automatic choke and some wireless fobs for starting and stopping, along with a rocker switch for the same features. Unfortunately the controller stops listening to the fobs after 48 hours, but knowing that you could start and stop it electronically gave me hope that we could hook into the rocker switch.

We combined it with a few other parts we obtained locally, such as a 45 litre marine gas tank, a larger starter battery (going from 7AH to 28AH), a 5W solar battery tender and a few misc components to extend the fuel line. For attaching the fuel tank, we removed the OEM fuel shutoff and used a coupler to tie it into a marine fuel line with a primer bulb back to the tank.

PXL_20230907_163324525 (1).jpg

I took off the front control panel on the generator and ran wires to the back of the generator's "Start / On / Off" switch. "On" is the middle, normal position, with start and stop options positions actually closing contacts. I also ran wires to the Eco Mode switch to control that remotely. I had some female quick disconnect terminals with an extra male tab on them, so I was able to connect my new wires without splicing into the harness on the generator.
PXL_20230901_141415470 (1).jpg

For remote control, we had a Packetflux Site Monitor Base II on the shelf, it allows you to control and monitor various inputs and outputs through HTTP in a web browser or by using SNMP. It also integrated well with the other Packetflux wireless ISP products for PoE and GPS sync. We had a "Temperature Control" addon module that just gives it a couple temp sensors and some relay outputs, so I hooked those into the new wires that I ran to the generator control panel. I also used a 12V relay, triggered by a 12V AC power brick connected to a the generator's AC output so I could get the running status of the generator. The Sitemonitor is powered directly by the battery bank, so I can get the voltage of the batteries from that input as well. Excuse the relay wires being stripped way too far, I had a coworker helping me install everything and had him redo it later when I noticed them being long enough to accidentally short...

PXL_20230914_181803527.jpg

After this, our construction team built a platform for the tank and generator to keep it off the ground to avoid it from getting buried in the multiple feet of snow that will accumulate up there.

MicrosoftTeams-image (126).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (125).jpg

I also wrote a small web app on our internal network that allows us to VPN in and control it remotely. I wrote it in PHP and it sends/queries the SNMP server on the Packetflux Sitemonitor. I'm also using FFMPEG to grab a still from our camera system so you can see if the panels are covered at a glance. I'm not much of a front-end HTML/CSS/Javascript guy, so I did have ChatGPT help out a bit to save me figuring out how to nicely query my backend code and making it look passable.

gencontrols.png

So far, before winter, it seems to be working okay. We've done a few 1-2 hour test runs and it seems to run things just fine. One issue is that it can take about 4-8 start attempts to (presumably) draw in fuel and get running after it has been sitting for a while. The electric start button will cycle the starter motor for a fixed 2 second attempt no matter how long you hold the button, so you just have to repeat the start command until you see it kick in. I'm not the most savvy with small engines, but the advice I got was that it would likely work better with a small fuel pump and a pressure regulator. Since we quadrupled the starter battery size and have the solar battery tender, my hope is we can get away with doing a bit of extra cranking when needed.

The last other upgrade we'll be doing before the snow hits is replacing the eight ~3 year old 105AH SLA batteries with new 140AH batteries to give us a little extra capacity. The current batteries could be recycled into some DC UPS systems after testing their capacity.

I will have to post an update during the winter with how it works out. My goal is to at least halve the amount of times we go up there this season. At the absolute minimum, having a larger fuel tank (and some stashed jerry cans) up there means we don't have to lug up fuel, and being able to stop the generator when the batteries are at a decent level means we'll consume less of it compared to just leaving the generator to run dry every time.

One thing I learned from running of a generator years ago is you need to capture heat for the carb or it will freeze up in cold weather. I was able to just prop a piece of plywood on the thing to trap enough heat to keep it from freezing back in the day so it doesn't take much and that enclosure you did to hide it might even be enough on its own. Just something to keep in mind.

So far so good... The coldest we've started it in so far has been -10°C. We're finding it takes about 6-12 of the fixed-length start attempts to get running, but it does stay running. Thankfully we have the larger starter battery and small solar charger in there, since the repeated attempts hasn't been an issue yet. My guess is that it's taking some effort for it to draw in fuel from the tank after not running for a while. I "worked around" this in software by modifying my little webpage to send a start signal every 3 seconds until it detects that it's running. If this was a more long-term setup I'd look into some sort of 12V fuel pump and return line to make sure the system can prime itself before we hit the starter.

Since being installed I expect we've ran the generator about 15 times for 1-4 hours at a time to nudge the charge through multiple overcast days or snow covered panels. This has saved my coworkers a great deal of effort compared to hiking in with a jerry can every time and pull-starting a tired generator. Even on weekends if we get an email alert of the batteries getting low, it's trivial to start the generator from the webpage, set a timer on your phone and shut it off later. previously that meant someone taking probably 2-3 hours out of their day to get gas, drive out there, hike up, start it, hike back down and drive home.

So far so good... The coldest we've started it in so far has been -10°C. We're finding it takes about 6-12 of the fixed-length start attempts to get running, but it does stay running. Thankfully we have the larger starter battery and small solar charger in there, since the repeated attempts hasn't been an issue yet. My guess is that it's taking some effort for it to draw in fuel from the tank after not running for a while. I "worked around" this in software by modifying my little webpage to send a start signal every 3 seconds until it detects that it's running. If this was a more long-term setup I'd look into some sort of 12V fuel pump and return line to make sure the system can prime itself before we hit the starter.

Since being installed I expect we've ran the generator about 15 times for 1-4 hours at a time to nudge the charge through multiple overcast days or snow covered panels. This has saved my coworkers a great deal of effort compared to hiking in with a jerry can every time and pull-starting a tired generator. Even on weekends if we get an email alert of the batteries getting low, it's trivial to start the generator from the webpage, set a timer on your phone and shut it off later. previously that meant someone taking probably 2-3 hours out of their day to get gas, drive out there, hike up, start it, hike back down and drive home.

What controls choke and eco on this setup?

What controls choke and eco on this setup?

The generator has an auto choke from the factory, which is nice. I was kind of surprised how many small, electric start generators available locally would have features like a fob or bluetooth control but still have a manual choke. Seems like it would defeat the purpose...

The Eco mode switch is manually controlled from the web interface. After the generator is running for about a minute, we'll flip on the Eco mode.

Nice work on all of this. It sounds like a fun project and your co-workers may owe you a six-pack or a few cups of coffee.

A few comments/thoughts:

- If your gas line runs straight down from the aux. tank to the carb it shouldn't require any priming because it's 100% gravity fed. If the motor has a carb I'm not sure how you would add a fuel pump w/out it becoming pretty complicated and I'm not sure it would help with the cold weather hard starts. I'm assuming the gas valve is always open or does it have a servo operated gas valve?
- Is the oil 5-30 or 0-30? If it's 5-40 it will be considerably thicker and it will make the motor harder to start in the cold. I use 0-30 in the winter (temps typically in the teens - 30s F with some days single digit or below zero. The gen continually is harder to start as it colder. You may be getting close to 50 hours which is a good time for an oil change.
- Westinghouse and Champion will run through 5 start attempts once the start button is pushed and my Westinghouse usually starts on the 2nd but sometimes takes 3, 4 or 5.
- If you're getting an e-mail when the batteries run low have you considered an auto generator start/stop program in your device? At least to keep having fun with this project?

Thanks for posting!

My modified yamaha 3000 iseb is hooked to an aux tank with a 12v fuel pump that is powered off the battery charge output.

It never seems to need priming even though the pump doesn't run until the engine runs and the tank is a couple feet below the generator.

I used a Tycon TPdin to handle the starting.

The engine cranks until 12v is sensed on the battery charge output which happens literally the second it fires up.

My modified yamaha 3000 iseb is hooked to an aux tank with a 12v fuel pump that is powered off the battery charge output.

It never seems to need priming even though the pump doesn't run until the engine runs and the tank is a couple feet below the generator.

I used a Tycon TPdin to handle the starting.

The engine cranks until 12v is sensed on the battery charge output which happens literally the second it fires up.
That sounds like a well executed system.

Does the fuel pump run continuously with a return line to the aux tank or does it only run when a float says it needs to run, say to fill the generator's on-board tank?

The Tycon TPdin looks like an interesting device. Have you posted how you set it up? I'd be interested to learn more about it.

That sounds like a well executed system.

Does the fuel pump run continuously with a return line to the aux tank or does it only run when a float says it needs to run, say to fill the generator's on-board tank?

The Tycon TPdin looks like an interesting device. Have you posted how you set it up? I'd be interested to learn more aboblocked.

No. It just provides a constant 3.5 PSI. I originally had a Onan RV generator fuel pump but it failed at 350 hours and I had to get an Edelbrock automotive fuel pump to replace it (all the auto parts store had).

They are regulated to 3.5 PSI output.

The RV pump was also about 3.5 PSI output albeit a way lower GPM.

I can post more details later.

Aah. Okay, a relatively low psi but higher than the gravity fed system in many generators. That is pretty darn simple although I'm not sure it would solve the OP's problem of hard starts.

Thanks.

Back