diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6000XP generator charging limits

Jason, if you will only run 120V loads, a 120/240 split-phase inverter is not a match for your needs. You need an inverter than only produces 120V. There are several options with capacity similar to the 6000XP.

I would be grateful if someone with a 6000XP would check the configuration settings for vacr (the AC output voltage). What is the highest configurable setting?
I have a 50 amp RV so the main reason I was drawn to the XP was to allow 2 hot legs in and two legs out to provide power to both sides of the breaker panel.

Jason, if you will only run 120V loads, a 120/240 split-phase inverter is not a match for your needs. You need an inverter than only produces 120V. There are several options with capacity similar to the 6000XP.

I would be grateful if someone with a 6000XP would check the configuration settings for vacr (the AC output voltage). What is the highest configurable setting?
There are plenty of other advantage the 6000xp has.

Like two MPPT with high voltage. All breakers already built in.

You can use it off grid as two 3000w 120v inverter with low standby draw.

Like literally the only downside it has that it can only charge from 240v.

I have a 50 amp RV so the main reason I was drawn to the XP was to allow 2 hot legs in and two legs out to provide power to both sides of the breaker panel.
That clarifies your situation. Thanks. A few options:
- Buy a 120V generator and have a motor shop rewind it for 120/240 split phase output. Verify with a motor shop that they can rewind the model you have in mind before you buy it.
- Use an autotransformer. Growatt makes a 5KW model and I think a larger model. Victron makes some that are larger.
- Connect a 120V generator to the battery bank using a 120VAC to 48VDC charger.

I would probably connect to the battery bank using a charger.

- Connect a 120V generator to the battery bank using a 120VAC to 48VDC charger.
The thread owner has already drawn up this as solution. EG4 chargeverter.

Just have 2 cords from the RV. 30A 120v for the Chargeverter and a 50A to the 6000Xp.

The built in 120v Generator can be connected to the Chargeverter.

Good suggestion!

Good suggestion!

One of the great benefits of using the Chargeverter in your 5th wheel is that you essentially have Hybrid/Power-Share features. AKA...your batteries will make up for what the grid power is lacking. I did a test on my batteries with the chargeverter hooked up (charging at around 25Amps & 56V = 1400Watts) to them while I ran a load thru the inverter and was excited by the results.

Attachments

• Power Share.jpg
    Power Share.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
One of the great benefits of using the Chargeverter in your 5th wheel is that you essentially have Hybrid/Power-Share features. AKA...your batteries will make up for what the grid power is lacking. I did a test on my batteries with the chargeverter hooked up (charging at around 25Amps & 56V = 1400Watts) to them while I ran a load thru the inverter and was excited by the results.
yes, that is a great finding.

True, the battery is like a buffer for peak loads. You can just continues charge from a small outlet - 1400W *24h = 33 kWh what you can get in one day.

That's cool :)

Another good benefit of the Chargeverter is that it effectively offers you a form of power sharing.

If you are using a chargeverter, you can set the charging parameters to input the wattage limit of the outlet you are using. The inverter will take what it needs from the battery but

If the load decreases and battery are full does the chargeverter ramp down or can it still supply loads to inverter. Basically can you just leave it indefinitely plugged in for days with bad weather?

If the load decreases and battery are full does the chargeverter ramp down or can it still supply loads to inverter. Basically can you just leave it indefinitely plugged in for days with bad weather?
Yes. It would behave as if you had it plugged in to a full battery. I have mine hooked to the same bus bar as the batteries. If you don't use more power than the chargeverter is supplying, the batteries will just stay full.

When that happens I usually see that the amps go down to 0.1 or so. Then....when you start using power an make room for more power to be stored, the chargeverter should start ramping up as needed but limit itself to the volt and amp settings you set. I love that if I need 6000 watt, the batteries will make up the difference and automatically start recharging again when the power demand is less than the chargeverter is supplying.

In a perfect world the chargeverter's fan would shut off when there is little or no demand for power. Currently, it will always have some fan noise when plugged in regardless of the demand or even if the breaker is switched off.

Last edited:
Back