diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6000XP generator charging limits

Probably getting too complicated but couldn't you use a Victron autotransformer to step up 120v from gen to 120/240 split phase and use as input?
I thought about it but don’t want extra cost or hassle. I assume it would work though.

50A RV 240V Cable going into the 6000XP
30A RV 120V CAble Going to the Chargeverter.

Should solve most usecases

50A RV 240V Cable going into the 6000XP
30A RV 120V CAble Going to the Chargeverter.

Should solve most usecases
Does not handle the neutral ground bonding issue when the shore cord is disconnected.

Does not handle the neutral ground bonding issue when the shore cord is disconnected.
In my RV the shore power cable is plugged into the Generator socket when not in use - the Generator creating the ground-neutral bond. (even when not running) You unplug the 30A from the grid - roll up the cable and plug it into the socket - reconnecting ground-neutral again.
You have a open-ground neutral for a couple of minutes. It's apparently compliant enough for most RV manufacturers.

What about just having a dummy Socket where the ground and neutral are connect? Plugin the 50A shore cable while not in use. Just a ground-neutral jumper in the back and no voltage leads connected.
I know it's super low tech without fancy relays and controllers.

Last edited:
2 questions about hooking up my EG4 48v wp batteries to the 6000XP.

1. Do I need to use a pre charge resister when I hook them up to the 6000xp since there is no on/off switch on the batteries and I don’t if the batteries have any pre charge resister features built in?

2. Will I always get a warning signal on the XP as my batteries don’t have any communication ports? I saw a video where they changed the XP’s settings to “Lead Acid” to get rid of the warning indicator but then they mentioned imputing the charging parameters manually which sounds daunting.

Thanks!

1. Do I need to use a pre charge resister when I hook them up to the 6000xp since there is no on/off switch on the batteries and I don’t if the batteries have any pre charge resister features built in?

2. Will I always get a warning signal on the XP as my batteries don’t have any communication ports? I saw a video where they changed the XP’s settings to “Lead Acid” to get rid of the warning indicator but then they mentioned imputing the charging parameters manually which sounds daunting.

Thanks!
1. Yes
2. You will need to select lead. Settings are easy.

Yes or a incandescent light bulb. 120V 100W or so. I never got a precharge resistor - just using a bulb which is laying around.

Yes or a incandescent light bulb. 120V 100W or so. I never got a precharge resistor - just using a bulb which is laying around.
This is probably a dumb question but does it matter if you use the resister on the positive or the negative cable?

Very exciting. I'd love to see a photo of it after the install.
sure, I just picked up the panels today, I got the 6000XP ordered about a week ago. No idea when it's going to ship ;)

I going to use a different battery then you do. The EG4 PowerPro Wall mount. I looked at the battery you are planning - but decided I want to have a cleaner install and keep the floor space open.

sure, I just picked up the panels today, I got the 6000XP ordered about a week ago. No idea when it's going to ship ;)

I going to use a different battery then you do. The EG4 PowerPro Wall mount. I looked at the battery you are planning - but decided I want to have a cleaner install and keep the floor space open.
I'm jealous. That was my original plan but when the WP batteries went on sale I couldn't help myself. However, the self heating, communication, and 280Amp size of the PowerPro's are amazing!

However, the self heating, communication, and 280Amp size of the PowerPro's are amazing!
Those were actually lowered ranked features on my list. My favorites:
- included power cable
- integrated breaker, display - everything
- small footprint
- weight per kWh
- outdoor rated

I was looking a long time before deciding on this system - the server racks are awesome for stationary - but for mobile they are just so bulky and heavy and no outdoor rating - I still consider an RV - camping so it's outdoors.
With wiring and a rack you end up at 400lbs for 15kWh - while the Powerpro is at 300lbs.

I just saw that sale - $999 for a 5kWh EG4 WP - that's amazing value, those things where $1600 the last time I looked- Now I'm jealous ;)
And those things are good power to weight ration 85 lbs for 5kWh.

I'm paying $3700 for the PowerPro, I think I stick with it. Just 3 wires, Plus, Minus, Network.

I agree CV gives you a lot of flexibility.

The 6000XP requires a 240 generator.
Hi @Zapper77. What is the danger of mounting the XP on its side? The manual says not too but if I orient it so the fans are blowing upward, is there a risk of overheating? Is there any other unintended consequences that this could cause? Thanks!

depending on the orientation there might be heavy components on the PCB not supported adequate. Nothing I would be worried about in house - but we are planning to use the system mobile.

Even if just the mounting brackets are designed to support the weight in certain direction. The case might just bend, you know aluminum can - you can stand on it one way - but it crumbles when from any other direction.

When I called Signature Solar regarding the input voltage they said I could connect 120v or 240v split phase and referred to the manual that shows Nominal AC Voltage of "120-240". Is that incorrect? If so, do you know why that wouldn't work? I ONLY plan on running single phase loads as my RV doesn't have any split phase demands.
Jason, if you will only run 120V loads, a 120/240 split-phase inverter is not a match for your needs. You need an inverter than only produces 120V. There are several options with capacity similar to the 6000XP.

I would be grateful if someone with a 6000XP would check the configuration settings for vacr (the AC output voltage). What is the highest configurable setting?

Back