diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000xp grid, solar and batteries

Captain Ron

Hi all,

I posted yesterday and so many of you help me out and I really appreciate it I just want to let you all know that.

I posted about purchasing two Anker f3800 units because I was seeing limitations and you all help me out. I canceled the purchase and I'm now looking for other options.

I've been looking for months at equipment and ideas and it seems to me like the EG4 6000 XP is a really good option.

Attaching the batteries and the PV to the 6000 XP seems pretty straightforward. No one seems to talk about having the grid attached as well.

I would like to have solar feeding the batteries and my home and the grid connected as well so I'm always covered. I can't seem to find anything about how the unit switches between battery power PV and a grid.

From what I'm finding is that if I attach solar panels and the batteries and the units for my home service that's the unit itself will switch between the solar panels first then go to the batteries if there's not enough current and then automatically switch to the grid.

Am I getting this right?

Hi all,

I posted yesterday and so many of you help me out and I really appreciate it I just want to let you all know that.

I posted about purchasing two Anker f3800 units because I was seeing limitations and you all help me out. I canceled the purchase and I'm now looking for other options.

I've been looking for months at equipment and ideas and it seems to me like the EG4 6000 XP is a really good option.

Attaching the batteries and the PV to the 6000 XP seems pretty straightforward. No one seems to talk about having the grid attached as well.

I would like to have solar feeding the batteries and my home and the grid connected as well so I'm always covered. I can't seem to find anything about how the unit switches between battery power PV and a grid.

From what I'm finding is that if I attach solar panels and the batteries and the units for my home service that's the unit itself will switch between the solar panels first then go to the batteries if there's not enough current and then automatically switch to the grid.

Am I getting this right?

Yes 👍🏻

Some additional details - depending on your settings, you can either have it start charging the batteries from the grid if the batteries get down to a level you specify, or you can have it switch to bypass mode which effectively just connects the grid input directly to the loads. Bypass is my preference as there’s effectively no efficiency loss. These days I’m getting enough solar that the batteries are staying high enough that I’m never needing to pull from the grid.

There is one more scenario where the grid input is helpful. If the loads exceed the inverter capacity it will automatically switch to bypass mode and power the loads from grid power until the load drops for a few minutes and then it will switch back to running the loads off the inverter. The transfer is very seamless - I don’t even see the lights flicker(<10ms). 😎. The manual says the transfer time does go up to 20ms though if you are running multiple 6000XP’s in parallel.

Yes 👍🏻

Some additional details - depending on your settings, you can either have it start charging the batteries from the grid if the batteries get down to a level you specify, or you can have it switch to bypass mode which effectively just connects the grid input directly to the loads. Bypass is my preference as there’s effectively no efficiency loss. These days I’m getting enough solar that the batteries are staying high enough that I’m never needing to pull from the grid.

There is one more scenario where the grid input is
Yes 👍🏻

There is one more scenario where the grid input is helpful. If the loads exceed the inverter capacity it will automatically switch to bypass mode and power the loads from grid power until the load drops for a few minutes and then it will switch back to running the loads off the inverter. The transfer is very seamless - I don’t even see the lights flicker(<10ms). 😎. The manual says the transfer time does go up to 20ms though if you are running multiple 6000XP’s in parallel.

helpful. If the loads exceed the inverter capacity it will automatically switch to bypass mode and power the loads from grid power until the load drops for a few minutes and then it will switch back to running the loads off the inverter. The transfer is very seamless - I don’t even see the lights flicker(<10ms). 😎. The manual says the transfer time does go up to 20ms though if you are running multiple 6000XP’s in parallel.

Thank you so much for all this great information. There's a lot to understand here I know I'll get it eventually but it's thanks to good people like you and the rest of the folks in this thread that are giving me a better understanding.

One other question that I didn't add in my original post is if my solar exceeds the usage of my home does it go back to the grid and reverse my meter?

Thank you so much for all this great information. There's a lot to understand here I know I'll get it eventually but it's thanks to good people like you and the rest of the folks in this thread that are giving me a better understanding.

One other question that I didn't add in my original post is if my solar exceeds the usage of my home does it go back to the grid and reverse my meter?
You’re very welcome. The 6000xp never feeds back to the grid. When solar power is more than your loads, the excess goes to the batteries. If the batteries are full then it only pulls what it needs to cover the loads.

Several good 6000XP videos on YouTube.

Check out the 6000xp videos on
Will Prowse
Gavin Stone
Rodney
East Texas Homestead

Did I forget anyone? O myself

Oh my gosh, I know you. At least I mean I know your videos. I used to watch the your videos a few years back when you were doing I think an RV solar thing? I just looked at a few other your videos. You're fantastic and thank you so much.

I guess I'll be watching quite a bit more of your videos. Seriously, thanks so much

You’re very welcome. The 6000xp never feeds back to the grid. When solar power is more than your loads, the excess goes to the batteries. If the batteries are full then it only pulls what it needs to cover the loads.
So the grid would be the last backup If the solar input is non-existent or too low and the batteries are exhausted???

Would that be a manual switch over to the grid power? As it is now I have to use a generator lock on my main box to keep not only myself but the power company workers safe. Or could I use an automatic switch over?

So the grid would be the last backup If the solar input is non-existent or too low and the batteries are exhausted???

Would that be a manual switch over to the grid power? As it is now I have to use a generator lock on my main box to keep not only myself but the power company workers safe. Or could I use an automatic switch over?
The switch to grid bypass is automatic based on the battery threshold you set.

However, if you are getting grid input from your main panel you couldn’t also power the same panel with the output from the 6000xp. That would be a grid tied feature. Generally you would get the grid input from your main panel and power your loads from another panel (or use something like a reliance pro tran to power specific circuits from your main panel.

Oh my gosh, I know you. At least I mean I know your videos. I used to watch the your videos a few years back when you were doing I think an RV solar thing? I just looked at a few other your videos. You're fantastic and thank you so much.

I guess I'll be watching quite a bit more of your videos. Seriously, thanks so much
I was looking at a reliance option. Seems pretty simple too just pigtailing from the circuit you want the inverter to run for automatic switch over to the grid.

My brain may be mush but it's starting to understand. LoL

Hi all,

Am I getting this right?
That is correct, I will also attach the work modes you can configure from the settings as well as the spec-sheet for the 6000XP.

Attachments

• 6000XP working mode Quickly settings.pdf
    457.7 KB · Views: 77
  • EG4-6000XP-Inverter-Spec-Sheet.pdf
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
Back