diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000xp manual is pretty lacking.... I could use some help.

ScrotusGobbleBottom

Solar Enthusiast
The manual references "Working Modes" But I have not found any documentation on how to change or test these settings. Searching the pdf manual for "Bypass mode" I get nothing that will help me change to it...
It appears I am stuck in off grid mode and this is not ideal. I am not looking to export power. I would like the ability to access the working modes listed in the manual. How do I enable bypass mode when there is not any EOD event. I need to be able to change this setting remotely. I got bypass mode to be enabled by adjusting the "on grid EOD voltage just now, But I cant find a way to turn it off! Now it is stuck on bypass. I have tried adjusting the on grid EOD voltage back to where it was and it did not stop it. Later it turned off bypass mode after 2 hours for unknown reasons. Anyone know how to turn bypass mode on and off?

The manual states:
"Equalization Voltage(V): Range is 50-59VDC for lead-acid batteries. When using Lithium batteries in lead-acid mode, this should be set to 0 (zero)"
You cant change it to Zero..... it will not "set"

ALSO, You cannot even access this setting or any of the equalization settings or even know they are there on the web page or the app when internet is available. You can ONLY access this setting when connected to the dongle in TCP or bluetooth mode (didnt look on LCD). That is strange and potentially unsafe as the default is 58.8 and could be far too much voltage for some systems.

In the manual it mentions "PV Grid Off" It doesn't say how to switch to that mode. This would be very useful for a water heater..

Are the modes all automatic pertaining to what is connected?

EDIT: For those of you with the same confusions:

All modes are automatic. I toggle bypass mode by adjusting the voltage set point to trigger bypass and then move "AC charge based on" to "empty" to stop it. For bypass mode to stop on its own it needs to see a rise of 3 volts past the bypass start voltage.

The 6000xp works well with solar assistant using "luxppower" settings and connecting to the access point on the 6000xp.

Last edited:
I had to go into LCD settings screen by holding enter for three seconds, then go to setting three. I then changed to lead acid batteries to even see voltage on my non BMS lithium test batteries. Page 44-45 in the manual. I couldn't do this in the app or website control. After that I was able to set voltages.

I had to go into LCD settings screen by holding enter for three seconds, then go to setting three. I then changed to lead acid batteries to even see voltage on my non BMS lithium test batteries. Page 44-45 in the manual. I couldn't do this in the app or website control. After that I was able to set voltages.
That is the frustrating part. Having to look in 4 places for things... 3 of which, the web page, and the app and the "direct connect" TCP look very similar and its confusing!

What I ran into was that I was setting the battery EOD voltage above the "battery warning" voltage setting that only exists on the app or the lcd i think.

in the app after changing to Lead acid I am able to set voltages on both app and web based control (https://monitor.eg4electronics.com/WManage/web/login). I hit the read button to see what the current settings are then adjust from there. There is a learning curve just like I had with my Schneider product too. Once playing with the system I am beginning to understand it. Only frustration I have now is my time is still off one hour. I am fairly new to this and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and it has helped. Im sure someone that has a little more experience than I have will chime in.

in the app after changing to Lead acid I am able to set voltages on both app and web based control (https://monitor.eg4electronics.com/WManage/web/login). I hit the read button to see what the current settings are then adjust from there. There is a learning curve just like I had with my Schneider product too. Once playing with the system I am beginning to understand it. Only frustration I have now is my time is still off one hour. I am fairly new to this and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and it has helped. Im sure someone that has a little more experience than I have will chime in.
My time is off an hour too. Not on the unit, It is off on the web page, and app. I even tried changing the time zone and it didnt fix it.

Same here. Device is right set via LCD, Station time zone is right at -9 for Alaska with daylight saving time enabled and User is set right at -9. However, my app time and web based control time is a hour fast. The graph timing is also off by a hour fast.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I have been thru those steps and the cited thread.
My problem is the web view graphs are 1 hour off. It probably needs to be changed somehow in the web page.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I have been thru those steps and the cited thread.
My problem is the web view graphs are 1 hour off. It probably needs to be changed somehow in the web page.
Maybe I can help with that. What is your station name? I can see about fixing the time for you. It's a little complicated to get the time fixed right now. We're looking into trying to make that easier for everyone.

Are the modes all automatic pertaining to what is connected?
The working modes are different applications for the inverter. Not so much settings that you can chose. Like, there is no Bypass Mode button, or PV + Grid button. The working modes list is basically just different ways you can use the inverter.

In the manual it mentions "PV Grid Off" It doesn't say how to switch to that mode. This would be very useful for a water heater..
PV Grid Off should be available on the monitoring app. I may be able to change that for you if you'd like. However, this setting is for people that only have PV and Grid power. It let's you power loads with Solar if you don't have batteries, but I can see the usefulness of it.

"Equalization Voltage(V): Range is 50-59VDC for lead-acid batteries. When using Lithium batteries in lead-acid mode, this should be set to 0 (zero)"
You cant change it to Zero..... it will not "set"
It should be able to set to 0. Not sure why it's having trouble, but I'd be happy to fix that for you.

ALSO, You cannot even access this setting or any of the equalization settings or even know they are there on the web page or the app when internet is available. You can ONLY access this setting when connected to the dongle in TCP or bluetooth mode (didnt look on LCD). That is strange and potentially unsafe as the default is 58.8 and could be far too much voltage for some systems.
I see what you mean. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Let me get with my team and see if we can make this easier for the end user.

Maybe I can help with that. What is your station name? I can see about fixing the time for you. It's a little complicated to get the time fixed right now. We're looking into trying to make that easier for everyone.

The working modes are different applications for the inverter. Not so much settings that you can chose. Like, there is no Bypass Mode button, or PV + Grid button. The working modes list is basically just different ways you can use the inverter.

PV Grid Off should be available on the monitoring app. I may be able to change that for you if you'd like. However, this setting is for people that only have PV and Grid power. It let's you power loads with Solar if you don't have batteries, but I can see the usefulness of it.

It should be able to set to 0. Not sure why it's having trouble, but I'd be happy to fix that for you.

I see what you mean. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Let me get with my team and see if we can make this easier for the end user.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

I understand now that the working modes are automatic and dependent on what is connected? Is that right?

As I type this, I have been stuck in bypass mode for 22 hours. It was a cloudy day so no big deal but I would like to know how to get out of bypass mode. I do not see any setting to set a voltage to release bypass mode.
What I want to do is simply transfer to utility at 20% battery, and have a charge cut off voltage that is easily changed in the app that will allow me to change it whenever I want.

What if people wanted to use this inverter as a uninterruptible power supply? That would be solar first, utility second, and battery last.

In regards to changing the time, I will just wait until you sort it out.

Thanks again for the reply.

I understand now that the working modes are automatic and dependent on what is connected? Is that right?
That is correct. They automatically shift to different modes based off of what is needed. If you are powering loads and it puts you past your EOD SOC/V, then it moves over to Bypass Mode. If it's charging with PV, but powering with AC, the PV Bypass mode. If it is currently powering loads with battery and solar then it switches over to PV+BAT Off-Grid. Etc..

I think that portion of the manual could be renamed because I thought the same thing when I looked at it.

As I type this, I have been stuck in bypass mode for 22 hours. It was a cloudy day so no big deal but I would like to know how to get out of bypass mode. I do not see any setting to set a voltage to release bypass mode
That doesn't sound right... It should switch back to Solar+Battery once there is sufficient sunlight to charge batteries past that EOD SOC/V. If yours has not switched back after it charged batteries back above that, then I may need to take a look at your system.

What I want to do is simply transfer to utility at 20% battery, and have a charge cut off voltage that is easily changed in the app that will allow me to change it whenever I want.

What if people wanted to use this inverter as a uninterruptible power supply? That would be solar first, utility second, and battery last.

That's a good question. I'm sure there is a way to do it. Let me talk with my team tomorrow and see what we can figure out. The 6000xp is still pretty new to me at the moment, so I don't want to act like I have ALL the answers, but I do have the resources to get them. I was out of the office today, so I didn't have access to those resources, but I will be there tomorrow at 8am CST and this is the first thing that I am doing.

Thanks again for the reply.
No problem! I'll get back with you tomorrow about the things I did not answer today.

That is correct. They automatically shift to different modes based off of what is needed. If you are powering loads and it puts you past your EOD SOC/V, then it moves over to Bypass Mode. If it's charging with PV, but powering with AC, the PV Bypass mode. If it is currently powering loads with battery and solar then it switches over to PV+BAT Off-Grid. Etc..

I think that portion of the manual could be renamed because I thought the same thing when I looked at it.

That doesn't sound right... It should switch back to Solar+Battery once there is sufficient sunlight to charge batteries past that EOD SOC/V. If yours has not switched back after it charged batteries back above that, then I may need to take a look at your system.

That's a good question. I'm sure there is a way to do it. Let me talk with my team tomorrow and see what we can figure out. The 6000xp is still pretty new to me at the moment, so I don't want to act like I have ALL the answers, but I do have the resources to get them. I was out of the office today, so I didn't have access to those resources, but I will be there tomorrow at 8am CST and this is the first thing that I am doing.

No problem! I'll get back with you tomorrow about the things I did not answer today.
You are so kind. I appreciate that you responded twice in a single day. That says a lot.
By the way, This is day 3 for me with the 6000xp. Definitely enjoying it.

I noticed someting strange on the 19th. This was the only sunny day out of the 3 that I have had this inverter with solar input.
I only have PV connected to PV Input 1. I do not remember if I chose isolated or bridged mode for the PV input settings. The strange thing is, in the graphs I got 10-12 volts on PV input 2 from 10:40- 12:45 all other times it was at zero. This of course is when the sun was the strongest. PV 1 input was at 220V. I was pulling 2800 watts at the time. Today has no voltage present on the graph tho it was a crappy solar day.
Any thoughts on this? I attached a picture.

"stuck" bypass mode' : my observations:

Both times that I found myself in bypass mode it was intentional. I manually adjusted the "on grid EOD" to where it would trigger. I think I did 0.1v difference and waited for it. The only times I activated bypass mode was by doing this. It never naturally went there because it was essentially me forcing it. I tried to stop bypass mode by manually moving the on grid to a voltage that it would normally be at. It did not stop bypass mode and stayed that way for 22 hours while my batteries were at 70% in lead acid mode. Just relaying this information to help whomever.

Today I found a way to stop bypass mode in my situation. I found that by moving the "discharge control" button from "Battery Voltage (according to)" to "Empty" and hit set, It stopped bypass mode. Who woulda thought .. The first time I got stuck In bypass mode I remember hitting reset all to default. At the time, I didnt think that was what stopped it. But I guess that did as well.

Wouldn't there have to be a set voltage difference already programmed in? If I set the "on grid EOD" at 20%, it would not make any sense at all to have the relays bouncing all day on a cloudy day while cycling between 19-21%. It would make much more sense to be able to specify the V / SOC that it switches at which would be entirely dependent on user battery size. Sitting at 50% SOC for me would mean 2 days. To someone else it could mean panic. I would need it to be programmable because I always like to keep extra capacity in the battery depending on the next days weather forcast.

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2023-11-21_203002_monitor.eg4electronics.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2023-11-21_203002_monitor.eg4electronics.com.png
    15 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yesterday at 4AM I started getting a modest bit of voltage. I didnt think much of it, perhaps just clouds catching the sun. Anyway, as the graphs I attached say, this voltage has been present for the last 20 hours. It appears from the graph that I was pulling in 75 watts at 140V at midnight. Is this right? Is this even possible? My normal voltage is 240.

Yes the panels are almost directly facing a street light but this situation didnt happen at all the last 2 nights. Voltage went to 0 the previous 2 nights. Nothing changed in the wiring since I started using this inverter.

Graph is midnight to 7 AM with grid not attached. System is grounded to main grid panel. Happened with grid attached as well.

Last edited:
You are so kind. I appreciate that you responded twice in a single day. That says a lot.
By the way, This is day 3 for me with the 6000xp. Definitely enjoying it.
I'm glad you are enjoying the unit! With what I have learned about it so far, I love it as well. A much needed improvement on our previous 6k offering.

Yesterday at 4AM I started getting a modest bit of voltage. I didnt think much of it, perhaps just clouds catching the sun. Anyway, as the graphs I attached say, this voltage has been present for the last 20 hours. It appears from the graph that I was pulling in 75 watts at 140V at midnight. Is this right? Is this even possible? My normal voltage is 240.
What is the name of your station? If I could pull historical data, I think I might be able to get a good idea as to what is happening here. Today I found a way to stop bypass mode in my situation. I found that by moving the "discharge control" button from "Battery Voltage (according to)" to "Empty" and hit set, It stopped bypass mode. Who woulda thought .. The first time I got stuck In bypass mode I remember hitting reset all to default. At the time, I didn't think that was what stopped it. But I guess that did as well.

Today I found a way to stop bypass mode in my situation. I found that by moving the "discharge control" button from "Battery Voltage (according to)" to "Empty" and hit set, It stopped bypass mode. Who woulda thought .. The first time I got stuck In bypass mode I remember hitting reset all to default. At the time, I didnt think that was what stopped it. But I guess that did as well.
Did you have Battery ECO Mode enabled with AC charge disabled?

Wouldn't there have to be a set voltage difference already programmed in? If I set the "on grid EOD" at 20%, it would not make any sense at all to have the relays bouncing all day on a cloudy day while cycling between 19-21%. It would make much more sense to be able to specify the V / SOC that it switches at which would be entirely dependent on user battery size. Sitting at 50% SOC for me would mean 2 days. To someone else it could mean panic. I would need it to be programmable because I always like to keep extra capacity in the battery depending on the next days weather forcast.
This was the only sunny day out of the 3 that I have had this inverter with solar input.
So, if you have the inverter set to ECO Mode with AC charge disabled, and you have really overcast days where the battery is not getting charged, then the inverter will stay in Bypass mode until the battery gets a sufficient charge. I need to get a clear understanding as to what that means, and if there is a set point that you can set/where to set that. I should be back in the hour or so with an answer to this.

I don't know what you mean by station name. I named it Home. I doubt that is what you are looking for.

Where would I find the station name?

Yeah the manual is very lacking, i can't figure out how to get mine to stop using the grid. Solar is coming in, more than current load, battery SOC is above my grid EOD settings. It should be using solar+battery but no matter what i change it's just charging the battery with solar and not running load with it.

I want solar+ battery to be used until 20% SOC, then grid until battery at least 30% SOC at which point it should switch off grid so long as solar is coming in but i can't figure out how to get this behavior.

I wish it had a more generic priority setting like other inverters where i could just say solar priority for loads

Yeah the manual is very lacking, i can't figure out how to get mine to stop using the grid. Solar is coming in, more than current load, battery SOC is above my grid EOD settings. It should be using solar+battery but no matter what i change it's just charging the battery with solar and not running load with it.

I want solar+ battery to be used until 20% SOC, then grid until battery at least 30% SOC at which point it should switch off grid so long as solar is coming in but i can't figure out how to get this behavior.

I wish it had a more generic priority setting like other inverters where i could just say solar priority for loads
Hi, yeah not very intuitive...

Did you figure this out?

I never messed with SOC percentage cutoffs so I dont know for sure but in my case It was necessary for me to hit EMPTY on discharge control to stop the grid bypass.

I later found out some tricks besides that.
I use user battery settings on a 15s voltage

For instance Battery is at 49.9v
I set my On Grid End of discharge to 50v and it turns on grid bypass.
Now how does it shut off? I learned from eg4 that the battery has to get to 3v above the On Grid End of discharge
Well, I only charge to 52v so that will NEVER happen for me.

So what I do when it is stuck on grid bypass is set my On Grid End of discharge (the same setting to enable byass) to 46.9, hit save, and it turns off grid bypass.

Again, I dont know how to manipulate the SOC cutoffs but You could do what I did to get you back on track at least.
Try setting Discharge control to empty and hit set and see if that helps first.

Now, If you are on grid bypass AND are charging the battery you would need to mess with the "AC Charge based on" Set it to empty and should do the same thing as described above.

Personally, I have TOTALLY given up on automating this while using the poorly named "lead acid battery" configuration. If you are using EG4 batteries, or actual lead acid batteries it might work a lot better for you.

I actually am using eg4 batteries, I have the full six server rack 48 volts. I honestly don't know what I did but I appear to have finally got it to work my battery hit 30% today and it finally turned off the grid input. I disabled AC charging entirely. And I played with practically every SOC cutoff value I could find so I don't know which one finally did it I'm just happy it appears to be working. We will see tonight if it properly switches back to grid when it hits 20%

I also did a full reset on all the batteries and the inverter so that may have kicked something that was stuck I don't know. They definitely need just a good old fashioned sbu/usb mode selection lol

Back