diy solar

diy solar

Testing EG4 6000XP AIO inverter.

Zapper77

Renaissance Man
This is a combination of test results and personal opinion while testing the EG4 6000xp AIO

Possible Use Cases – Workshop, 50 or 30 Amp RV, Cabin, Garage, Small Home or Larger if used in parallel.

- Control over bonding N/G through settings
- wall mountable by one (mounting plate would still be nice touch)
- Sufficient wire box size
- External Breakers
- Quick connects for RSD
- External on/off switch (easy to relocate EPS Switch)
- low idle when EPS off no MPPT
- Green and Power save mode (need to learn more)
- Generator connection
- 6 AWG THHN/W Fit in the N/G common bus bar and breakers
- No issues with lights strobing
- Uses same APP as the 18Kpv

Dislikes
- Battery Bolts are tiny. M8?
- Lithium battery type default to #1? (eg4 needs type 0) I cycled all the way up to 16 before I realized "0" type was an option
- I don’t understand how to use the Sleep Mode correctly. Obviously, I know how to enable the setting in the menu. Watched Wills Video and it makes sense now. morning PV wakes the inverter from sleep mode.
- The Green LED is like a laser!
- LCD Menu layout (Just use the app or web site)

Other details
- 93% conversion Battery to AC at 950 watt load. (As reported by inverter LCD)
- Changing Settings through the LCD was initially a pain...but after 2 minutes it was easy. (Most of the settings can be changed in the app)
- Battery communication works fast* (hub) and natively reads LP4 3.32 firmware dips switch 0000 (takes 20-30 seconds)
- Fans come on and ramp up as need with any load
- 3K imbalance test
- 20 second reconnect after connecting battery comms directly to LP4
- Inverter automatically Resets from overload after 4 minutes? Need to actually time this.
- RSD functions as expected - shuts down AC and PV. (Obviously you would still need additional components to shutdown voltage at the array)
- 12v power confirmed. 11.99v, correct polarity
- Powered House for 3 days (Fall Cooler weather) Base load is 500-1200 watts.
-- Can power base load plus two 1500 watt cooking appliances (Opposite legs).
-- Can power 2 ton Air Conditioner and Base load.
-- Can run Base load and electric dryer. *Note dryer has a low power setting that caps dryer to 2,400 watts*.
- EG4 LP4 Battery to Inverter uses basic Cat5 Ethernet Cable, set inverter to lithium 0 (expect a 30-60 second Delay)
- Tested PV terminals for AC bleed - None Found
- Single Leg Surge – Tested up to 4,000 Watts at 1 second (2004 RV 15Kbtu AC startup plus 1,500 base load)
- Battery Charging from AC – Tested up to 110 amps
- PV input – tested Two Stings 400v 8 Amps per MPPT (capped out at 7000 Watt max due to lower sun angle)
- Can make some adjustments to minimum cooling Fan speed and ramp up settings. But fans come on with any load or PV.

Generator test, See newest Generator Boost Firmware VIDEO for updated information.

- Setting 6 Generator charge limit, Setting 18 Generator limit - works as expected.
New Feb 2023 - Generator Boost setting 30
- Generator NO1 and NC1 work as expected...used with setting 25
* For the record. The inverter will not charge from a single 120v gen connection.

The best for last…No LED flicker. No DISCO lights. You will obviously have the normal light diming when starting a large load.

Edits in BOLD

Last edited:
For the record. The inverter will not charge from a single 120v gen connection.
It needs 240V from grid/generator to work?

Or you can't limit the generator input low enough to avoid tripping generators circuit breaker?

It needs 240V from grid/generator to work?

Or you can't limit the generator input low enough to avoid tripping generators circuit breaker?
It can work stand alone. But if you want to charge from grid or generator it needs to be 240v split phase.

This is a combination of test results and personal opinion while testing the EG4 6000xp AIO

Possible Use Cases – Workshop, 50 or 30 Amp RV, Cabin, Garage, Small Home or Larger if used in parallel.

- Control over bonding N/G through settings
- wall mountable by one (mounting plate would still be nice touch)
- Sufficient wire box size
- External Breakers
- Quick connects for RSD
- External on/off switch (easy to relocate EPS Switch)
- low idle when EPS off no MPPT
- Green and Power save mode (need to learn more)
- Generator connection
- 6 AWG THHN/W Fit in the N/G common bus bar and breakers
- No issues with lights strobing
- Uses same APP as the 18Kpv

Dislikes
- Battery Bolts are tiny. M8?
- Lithium battery type default to #1? (eg4 needs type 0) I cycled all the way up to 16 before I realized "0" type
- I don’t understand how to use the Sleep Mode correctly. Obviously I know how to enable the setting in the menu.
- The Green LED is like a laser!
- LCD Menu layout (Just use the app or web site)

Other details
- 93% conversion Battery to AC at 950 watt load. (As reported by inverter LCD)
- Changing Settings through the LCD was initially a pain...but after 2 minutes it was easy. (Most of the settings can be changed in the app)
- Battery communication works fast* (hub) and natively reads LP4 3.32 firmware dips switch 0000 (takes 20-30 seconds)
- Fans come on and ramp up with any load
- 3K imbalance test
- 20 second reconnect after connecting battery comms directly to LP4
- Inverter automatically Resets from overload after 5 minute? Need to actually time this.
- RSD functions as expected - shuts down AC and PV. (Obviously you would still need additional components to shutdown voltage at the array)
- 12v power confirmed. 11.99v, correct polarity
- Powered House for 3 days (Fall Cooler weather) Base load is 500-1200 watts. Can power base load plus two 1500 watt cooking appliances (Opposite legs). Can power 2 ton Air Conditioner and Base load. Can run Base load and electric dryer. *Note dryer has a low power setting that caps dryer to 2,400 watts*.
- EG4 LP4 Battery to Inverter - Cat5 Ethernet Cable set inverter to lithium 0 (expect a 30-60 second Delay)
- Tested PV terminals for AC bleed - None Found
- Single Leg Surge – Tested up to 4,000 Watts at 1 second (RV AC startup plus 1,500 base load)
- Battery Charging from AC – Tested up to 110 amps
- PV input – tested Two Stings 400v 8 Amps per MPPT (7000 Watt max due to lower sun angle)
- Can make some adjustments to minimum cooling Fan speed and ramp up settings. But fans come on with any load or PV.

Generator test,
- Setting 6 Generator charge limit, Setting 18 Generator limit - works as expected.
- Generator NO1 and NC1 work as expected...used with setting 25
* Note Generator will still need to power entire load. When load is less than max Generator watts (Setting 18)...inverter will allow battery charging.
* For the record. The inverter will not charge from a single 120v gen connection.

The best for last…No LED flicker. No DISCO lights. You will obviously have the normal light diming when starting a large load.
You have this in hand and tested all the above already?

It can work stand alone. But if you want to charge from grid or generator it needs to be 240v split phase.
Ok I found that part of the manual. So they recommend >10kW generator for one inverter, I guess there's no way to throttle the gen input.

Screenshot_20231025_214439_Samsung Notes.jpg

I'm curious why companies producing a new system today don't have temp controlled fans? There's a non-trivial number of people who have "low noise" levels as a criteria.
The inverter has a setting for minimum fan speed. So if you are crazy and like noise you could set them to 100% minimum.

I'm curious why companies producing a new system today don't have temp controlled fans? There's a non-trivial number of people who have "low noise" levels as a criteria.
Under low load, basically idle the fans are off for some length of time, something like 10 minutes off and then turn on for 1 minute. Something like that, I didn't actually measure the time.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is the replacement unit for EG4 6000EX? I was told that the 6000EX is being replaced.
If this is the replacement, does anyone know if this new model can be used with the prior models in a parallel configuration?
Or has anyone tested whether or not the communication will work between the models?

Does anyone know if this is the replacement unit for EG4 6000EX? I was told that the 6000EX is being replaced.
If this is the replacement, does anyone know if this new model can be used with the prior models in a parallel configuration?
Or has anyone tested whether or not the communication will work between the models?
I don't think so as this is a very different inverter from a different OEM.

Back