diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000xp settings

Dunham Farm

Looking to buy but looking at the on line manual I don't see where you can set it for solar- Battery- than grid at a low set point and a high setting to go back to solar, I'm I missing something here?
Thanks Brian

I wonder what is the distinction you are making between being set for "solar-battery-grid" vs. "going back to solar". I think you might say that the default operating state of the 6000xp is salar-battery-grid (SBU). You control when the unit switches to either grid bypass or grid bypass + grid charging with a combination of the AC charge thresholds (where you set a low voltage or SOC level when the unit will start pulling from the grid to both power the loads and charge the battery and a high voltage or SOC level where it stops and goes back to SBU / running off the inverter pulling PV and/or battery for energy and stops pulling from the grid), and there is another option which is the End-Of-Discharge (EOD) threshold. If you use the EOD threshold in combination with the battery ECO mode setting, then when the batteries reach the EOD threshold it goes into bypass mode (passing the grid power directly through to the loads) and charges only from solar until the battery SOC gets 10% above the EOD threshold at which point it goes back to SBU mode - powering the loads from the inverter. I'm sure that there may be other more optimal ways of configuring it that I haven't discovered yet, but I've only had mine for a few weeks and still learning the ins-and-outs of its behavior. I can say that so far I am loving it.

The one thing I would like to see is instead of the automatic threshold of a 10% increase in SOC when the bypass mode automatically turns off, it would be wonderful if the firmware provided an additional option to specify your own upper threshold - similar to the upper threshold for the AC charging options. Something I might call a "Start-Of-Discharge" threshold corresponding with the "End-of-Discharge". This would provide additional flexibility that would be really nice for some scenarios. @EG4-Jacob, @EG4_Jarrett, @EG4_Ty - what do you think? See the thread I posted a few days ago here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/avoiding-efficiency-losses-on-the-6000xp.74945/. During these winter days of low solar production, I would love to setup my system to go to bypass-mode with no AC charging - only charging from any available PV - at a low SOC like 20% - and then stay in bypass mode until the PV manages to charge the batteries to a high level like 90% before switching back to running the loads off the inverter again and repeating the cycle. Right now the system forces that to be 10% above the EOD threshold - it would be really nice to be able to change that. As-of now the only way I can make it behave that way is to wait until it reaches the EOD threshold and switches to bypass mode, and then change the EOD threshold higher to extend the time it stays in bypass mode.

Last edited:
The one thing I would like to see is instead of the automatic threshold of a 10% increase in SOC when the bypass mode automatically turns off, it would be wonderful if the firmware provided an additional option to specify your own upper threshold
I agree. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out that threshold that is on the EOD (SOC/V) settings. I think a "Back to battery" setting is exactly what we need for the XP.
Looking to buy but looking at the on line manual I don't see where you can set it for solar- Battery- than grid at a low set point and a high setting to go back to solar, I'm I missing something here?
You can set the inverter to use grid once the battery hits a certain level. Honestly, I don't think I could have answered it any better myself. @AZ Solar Junkie pretty much covered all the bases.

I have my system running in ECO mode with my "On Grid EOD SOC(%)" set to 20%. After a few rainy days my system was running in bypass mode with the grid running my loads. The grid went out and all my loads went out before switching to battery. I thought the transfer over to battery would be quick enough to keep the loads up?

Which firmware version are you using, and does the issue persist with Battery Eco mode turned off? Also, does this happen in APL or UPS with the AC input range? I understand that this setting can prolong transfer times and, depending on the AC input range, it might extend the transfer duration excessively, leading to a temporary power outage.

diy solar

diy solar
Back