diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Upgrade

jbkrntrprz

I have sent back my 2 6500EXs and awaiting store credit to replace with the 6000XP. I can get by with only one Inverter except for the fact that I need 2 more MPPTs. I know you can parallel a charge controller into the system but cannot find one at around $500 to $600 that has 2 MPPTs. Does a reliable product exist?

Eg4 sells an MPPT
The 6000xp does have 2 mppt inputs (couldn’t determine if you knew that already or not)

Eg4 sells an MPPT
The 6000xp does have 2 mppt inputs (couldn’t determine if you knew that already or not)
Yeah I knew that . I need it to have 4. The charge controller you are showing me has only one solar input. Wish it had 2. Thanks

Yeah I knew that . I need it to have 4. The charge controller you are showing me has only one solar input. Wish it had 2. Thanks
With a higher 22a input would it work reasonably for your set up with a parallel string?

I have sent back my 2 6500EXs and awaiting store credit to replace with the 6000XP. I can get by with only one Inverter except for the fact that I need 2 more MPPTs. I know you can parallel a charge controller into the system but cannot find one at around $500 to $600 that has 2 MPPTs. Does a reliable product exist?

What reason did you have to send back the 6500s? I have 4 of em right now in use.

With a higher 22a input would it work reasonably for your set up with a parallel string?
Let me get you my numbers tomorrow. It looks like with the solar panel specs I have, going parallel, or series makes it to close in either amps or volts. My setup with the 2 6500s utilized all 4 MPPTs comfortably.

What reason did you have to send back the 6500s? I have 4 of em right now in use.
It was just unreliable with issues. Flickering lights etc. The nail in the coffin for me was when for no reason when my split phase 240V well pump kicked on and one of the inverters decided to go offline which meant the other inverter was still providing 120V to a 240V motor. There was no other loads at the time. Thats how you burn up a motor 100 feet below ground level. Don't know if it harmed my well pump but time will tell. Luckily I was there to trip the breaker because the affected inverter was not coming back on line. Could not trust the 6500 at all. Been a lot of bad reports on this model. Some people swear by them but to many don't.

It was just unreliable with issues. Flickering lights etc. The nail in the coffin for me was when for no reason when my split phase 240V well pump kicked on and one of the inverters decided to go offline which meant the other inverter was still providing 120V to a 240V motor. There was no other loads at the time. Thats how you burn up a motor 100 feet below ground level. Don't know if it harmed my well pump but time will tell. Luckily I was there to trip the breaker because the affected inverter was not coming back on line. Could not trust the 6500 at all. Been a lot of bad reports on this model. Some people swear by them but to many don't.

My lights flicker as well. Sometimes you don't notice and other times you do. And sometimes it's a disco show.
One reason I got 4 is to make sure I always have 240 and not to be pushing my units to max a lot. Rather them operate at a max of 50% occasionally than be operating at 100%.

I used to have 240 volt units with a transformer. That was a pain

My lights flicker as well. Sometimes you don't notice and other times you do. And sometimes it's a disco show.
One reason I got 4 is to make sure I always have 240 and not to be pushing my units to max a lot. Rather them operate at a max of 50% occasionally than be operating at 100%.

I used to have 240 volt units with a transformer. That was a pain
That seems reasonable and smart to have 4, but this light flickering is really uncalled for. Its been shown to be common to the 6500s. And the major issue I had where it could have done some damage to a home appliance. You would have thought there would have been some sort of safeguard to prevent only one inverter to go offline on a 240V system. I was surprised. I guess you are used to the flickering lights by now! Is it to late for you to return them?

That seems reasonable and smart to have 4, but this light flickering is really uncalled for. Its been shown to be common to the 6500s. And the major issue I had where it could have done some damage to a home appliance. You would have thought there would have been some sort of safeguard to prevent only one inverter to go offline on a 240V system. I was surprised. I guess you are used to the flickering lights by now! Is it to late for you to return them?

I bought them in September of 2023 and got them in November and put them in. I'm tired of spending money on units and glad to have a working system so I haven't messed with it and just live with the blinking lights.

I had bought 10 units previous to buying these 4 6500s and not have them work like they should. So I am glad to have these just working lol

I have 18 Bluesun 460W Bifacial panels and 4 Canadian Solar 285W Panels. My setup with the 2 EG4 6500EXs was 3 strings of 6 each of the Blue Suns and then the 1 string of the 4 Canadian Solar panels, all in series of course. 2 of the strings into each Inverter.
I can't mix the Canadian Solar with the Blue Suns. If I could then maybe it would be possible to get by with 3 MPPTs but doubtful. The VOC for the Blue Suns is 50.8 + or - 4% so the max VOC could be 52.832 X 9=475.488, just under max of 480 voltage range for the 6000XP. I believe in cold temperatures that could be exceeded. ISC is 11.5A + or - 4% which could be as high as 11.96A X 2 if you parallel 2 strings of 9 =23.92A. Am I not looking at this correctly? This is why I need 4 MPPTs. Just set it up like it was with my 2 6500s only I would have only 1 inverter with 2 MPPTS and another Charge controller with 2 MPPTs . Reason I do not want to purchase the second inverter is because the store credit is not going to cover both inverters. IF I am not correctly computing these figures, feel free to correct me. I am still learning. Thanks for your interest.

I bought them in September of 2023 and got them in November and put them in. I'm tired of spending money on units and glad to have a working system so I haven't messed with it and just live with the blinking lights.

I had bought 10 units previous to buying these 4 6500s and not have them work like they should. So I am glad to have these just working lol
I perfectly understand. It can be very frustrating!

I would get on to customer service and see how long it is before they can ship a unit out to you, squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that. But to match the power output of your pair of 6500 you really need a pair of 6,000 XP so just go ahead and order the extra one and then you've got your four mppts.

I would get on to customer service and see how long it is before they can ship a unit out to you, squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that. But to match the power output of your pair of 6500 you really need a pair of 6,000 XP so just go ahead and order the extra one and then you've got your four mppts.
Thing is I can get by with 6000 Watts because I am not running my heat pump or hot water heater on my critical loads panel. But you are correct I should probably bite the bullet and get the second one!

I have 18 Bluesun 460W Bifacial panels and 4 Canadian Solar 285W Panels. My setup with the 2 EG4 6500EXs was 3 strings of 6 each of the Blue Suns and then the 1 string of the 4 Canadian Solar panels, all in series of course. 2 of the strings into each Inverter.
I can't mix the Canadian Solar with the Blue Suns. If I could then maybe it would be possible to get by with 3 MPPTs but doubtful. The VOC for the Blue Suns is 50.8 + or - 4% so the max VOC could be 52.832 X 9=475.488, just under max of 480 voltage range for the 6000XP. I believe in cold temperatures that could be exceeded. ISC is 11.5A + or - 4% which could be as high as 11.96A X 2 if you parallel 2 strings of 9 =23.92A. Am I not looking at this correctly? This is why I need 4 MPPTs. Just set it up like it was with my 2 6500s only I would have only 1 inverter with 2 MPPTS and another Charge controller with 2 MPPTs . Reason I do not want to purchase the second inverter is because the store credit is not going to cover both inverters. IF I am not correctly computing these figures, feel free to correct me. I am still learning. Thanks for your interest.

475v would be very close to the max 480VDC leaving little room for colder temperatures. I would recommend having 8 panels in series with the Blueson model leaving you with a max of 3,680W per MPPT and 422.656V. You could also look at doing 8 panels in series with two strings in parallel to one MPPT. However, that would leave you with a lot of excess wattage not necessarily being utilized since the max usable wattage per MPPT is 4000W.

475v would be very close to the max 480VDC leaving little room for colder temperatures. I would recommend having 8 panels in series with the Blueson model leaving you with a max of 3,680W per MPPT and 422.656V. You could also look at doing 8 panels in series with two strings in parallel to one MPPT. However, that would leave you with a lot of excess wattage not necessarily being utilized since the max usable wattage per MPPT is 4000W.
I'm in agreement with that. If it wasn't for the 4 Canadian solar PVs, I would purchase 1 6000XP and the EG4 charge controller and I would be able to do 3 strings, But I need 4 MPPTs. Do you know of a charge controller with 2 MPPTs for around 5 to $600?

I’m tracking with ya. I tried to find additional MPPT options last night to link, very challenging to find high voltage units

Back