diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 Generator backup options

Dereks

I have (2) eg4 6500’s split phase and (6) of their lithium batteries. My original design intent was to have a Cummins 20kw LP generator (<5% THD)to provide automatic startup, backup charging and power during prolonged cloudy days.
Upon talking with signature solar they said these inverters can’t handle direct generator input as it is not clean enough power, and the best way is to hook up the generator to their standalone battery chargers.
This defeats the purpose of being able to “quickly” recharge batteries and provide power from a larger/more efficient generator.

Is their advise correct?

I have (2) eg4 6500’s split phase and (6) of their lithium batteries. My original design intent was to have a Cummins 20kw LP generator (<5% THD)to provide automatic startup, backup charging and power during prolonged cloudy days.
Upon talking with signature solar they said these inverters can’t handle direct generator input as it is not clean enough power, and the best way is to hook up the generator to their standalone battery chargers.
This defeats the purpose of being able to “quickly” recharge batteries and provide power from a larger/more efficient generator.

Is their advise correct?

I would tend to agree that a non-inverter genset like Cummins is not good enough for the sensitive electronics in most inverter/chargers. Inverter generators should work fine.

Thanks for the reply. So would I be using one of the eg4’s as a switch to turn on the generator and then have the generator externally charging the batteries via the bus bar? Or can I run the generator through the inverters to charge the batteries and provide off grid power at the same time?
It seems that all of the inverter generators are sub 5kw, or am I looking in the wrong place. I would like to avoid running a generator for 6 hours to charge up the batteries.
What is the common backup option people are running for off grid with the eg4’s?

Back