diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 voltage on PV terminals?

add pv breakers at the eg4 location as well as at the array.. High voltage coming from both directions on the pv input signage would be a good idea also in case a conventional electrician has to service any part of the system.. This may be normal.. but its definitely not good!

At minimum some warning that both terminals of a disconnect will be energized even in the OFF position would be advisable.

This seems like a very hazardous situation. I am no electrician but wouldn’t this mean with a grounded array you would always have voltage on your ground wire all the way back to your house ground? The ground wire often an uninsulated wire I don’t believe would be safe continuously live.
Is it safe because it is constantly dissipating a small amount of leaked voltage and not allowing to build up to unsafe levels?

This seems like a very hazardous situation.
Electricity is always dangerous.
Always turn in off (and verify it is off) before working on anything.
I am no electrician but wouldn’t this mean with a grounded array you would always have voltage on your ground wire all the way back to your house ground?
Not unless a short circuit has happened. Either from failed or improperly installed wiring.
The ground wire often an uninsulated wire I don’t believe would be safe continuously live.
Correct.
The EGC should never see voltage or current. Unless there is a fault. That's when it does its job.
Is it safe because it is constantly dissipating a small amount of leaked voltage and not allowing to build up to unsafe levels?
Generated Electricity doesn't dissipate. It flows in a circular path, from and back to the source.

Static Electricity can be discharged into the earth.

diy solar

diy solar
Back