diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX and EG4 Lifepower4 intermittent 61 error

5275K_Dude

Running into a weird error on my EG4 6500EX and two EG4 batteries. When the batteries get fully charged I notice that I start to get error code 61 on the inverter. Is it possible that the batteries are “disconnecting” themselves from communications when they are fully charged? Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.

My solution in the mean time was add more load to keep them from getting fully charged. :)

If you need someone to test with who can recreate the problem in the afternoon around 2 pm, just let me know. ;) I can build an rj45 cable that could replace the one sent. It looked properly pinned out, though. Again, very odd the problem only surfaces when the batteries are fully charged.

I have the same setup (EG4 6500EX and (3) EG4 batteries) and I'm getting the same problem. Error code 61 especially during higher current charging (middle of day). I'm also getting the inverter shutting down at around 16% state of charge with error code 52. I don't know if the cable per se because I had signature solar tell me how to build my own cable (which I did) and I'm still getting error 61 when running in eg4 (program 5) battery type mode. I'm currently running in user defined battery mode (program 5) without issues although I don't have exact state of charge information running this way.

Hi, I purchased the EG4 6500 and 3 of the EG4 Lifepower batteries with the 6 pack rack and yesterday I got the same error 61 fault at full charge also. I connected the BMS test software and it indicated an over voltage alert on one cell in the first pack in the chain so I promptly discharged all packs down to 92-95%. The pack at the top closest to the inverter discharged faster than the other 2. When building the rack initially I had tried flipping the negative bus bar in the rack as recommeded by Will but the mounting holes would not line up without drilling a new hole. I don’t know if these two faults are related and I’m wondering if I need to balance the packs somehow or drill a new hole in the bus bar or both? Thanks in advance

Hi, I purchased the EG4 6500 and 3 of the EG4 Lifepower batteries with the 6 pack rack and yesterday I got the same error 61 fault at full charge also. I connected the BMS test software and it indicated an over voltage alert on one cell in the first pack in the chain so I promptly discharged all packs down to 92-95%. The pack at the top closest to the inverter discharged faster than the other 2. When building the rack initially I had tried flipping the negative bus bar in the rack as recommeded by Will but the mounting holes would not line up without drilling a new hole. I don’t know if these two faults are related and I’m wondering if I need to balance the packs somehow or drill a new hole in the bus bar or both? Thanks in advance
It sounds like you know what the problem is. Flip that thing over. It amazes you that they don’t come with connections on all 4 corners especially for the money.

I already have my bus bar flipped but still get error 61. It does sound though like some of these problems are related to batteries not evenly charged. I also have a growatt inverter and it did not have these issues (with the same battery pack)

Ok, I let the inverter run overnight without any load and no AC input and did not get a error 61 comm error. I have flipped the bus bar over by removing the side of the case and repositioning the brackets that hold the bus bar to the rack so that the mounting holes would line up. I’m now charging Pack 1 with the others turned off to get that pack up to 100%. Once that is done, i’ll repeat for the remaining 2, 1 at a time to get them all top balanced at 100%. I’ll then power up all 3, discharge 5%, then charge all 3 back up to 100% to see if the error 61 comm error returns.

I got the same issue, but i only have 1 eg4 inverter and 1 eg4 lifepower 48v battery... I just wired everything up (no solar yet waiting for cable) and after about 3-5min of running time i get a 61 error code warning fault that flashes.

In other threads @RichardfromEG4 was quick to point out that people were pairing their batteries with other brands of items to build a system so their were variable’s that were out of their control. I don’t see how SS can not own this whole thread.

I got the same issue, but i only have 1 eg4 inverter and 1 eg4 lifepower 48v battery... I just wired everything up (no solar yet waiting for cable) and after about 3-5min of running time i get a 61 error code warning fault that flashes.
If the cord is plugged in backwards or the wrong cord, we see this happen. Also our very first shipment of cords may have been done incorrectly. Check to make sure the pin out is right (1 and 2 on the battery to 3 and 5 on the inverter respectively.). If this is wrong, you can repin it or contact SS for a new cord.

@RichardfromEG4 are you referencing the rj45? Ive tried it both with and without the battery communication setup. But both times im getting 61

UPDATE: after reversing the RJ45 cable and plugging into the inverter the end that has the eg4 sticker and only has 3/5 wired up the inverters been running now for 20m without a fault! So seems to be the issue?

Last edited:
@RichardfromEG4 are you referencing the rj45? Ive tried it both with and without the battery communication setup. But both times im getting 61

UPDATE: after reversing the RJ45 cable and plugging into the inverter the end that has the eg4 sticker and only has 3/5 wired up the inverters been running now for 20m without a fault! So seems to be the issue?
Is it still running? Because my pinout is perfect I have the newer cable. Inverter labeled side to the inverter other side to the battery. I have two inverters. 2 p 1 inverter first perfect no error code 61. Inverter two 2 P2 180. Gets an error code almost immediately I would really like to get this figured out.

Is it still running? Because my pinout is perfect I have the newer cable. Inverter labeled side to the inverter other side to the battery. I have two inverters. 2 p 1 inverter first perfect no error code 61. Inverter two 2 P2 180. Gets an error code almost immediately I would really like to get this figured out.
mine ran just fine, but i dont have anything hooked up to it yet except for battery, hooking PV up today so lets see how it goes...

I was having same problem with 2 units running split phase. 2p1 was ok but 2p2 would show fault 61 about 2 minutes in. I daisy chained the rj45 from 2p1 to 2p2. (Pins 3, 5) Then 1 line going to batteries(pins 1,2) no faults as of now! I dont know if this is ok but seems to work. Any comments especially from signature solar if this is recommended.

I was having same problem with 2 units running split phase. 2p1 was ok but 2p2 would show fault 61 about 2 minutes in. I daisy chained the rj45 from 2p1 to 2p2. (Pins 3, 5) Then 1 line going to batteries(pins 1,2) no faults as of now! I dont know if this is ok but seems to work. Any comments especially from signature solar if this is recommended.
Could you please take a picture so that I can see how you Daisy chained it? Did you have to pin anything yourself??

For me everything is working fine, got 2 panels hooked up and i can confirm a charge coming into my battery... small but system working!!!

I've charged all my packs to 100% and now can't get fault 61 to go away. I'm using custom built cables that seem to work sometimes. I'm pretty sure this is more than a cable issue since it's intermittent.

Running into a weird error on my EG4 6500EX and two EG4 batteries. When the batteries get fully charged I notice that I start to get error code 61 on the inverter. Is it possible that the batteries are “disconnecting” themselves from communications when they are fully charged? Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior.

My solution in the mean time was add more load to keep them from getting fully charged. :)
Same issue with one battery one inverter and multiple inverters (split phase) and multiple batteries. Although issue seems to happen less since the batteries have been cycled a few times. USE setting gets rid of it until they find a fix.

Back