diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX and Generator Transfer Switch

Coz

The EG4 6500EX and 6000EX are set up to wire into your main panel. But I want to connect my unit to a Transfer Switch that has the Nema L14 / 30 amp connector.
How do you wire an EG4 6500 to that switch? I would need to have a female Nema L14 connector on the other end of the wire in order to plug into the transfer switch.
For the Nema L14 connection, you need 3 wires plus a ground which the EG4 units do not have. I only see the black, ground & neutral. I seen in one of the Prowse videos he mentions they can be hooked up to an external transfer switch and in the video shows a box that is the same as what I have.
Does anyone know how to do this? I am also looking at the EG4 6000EX and need to connect a switch to this unit also. The AC input / output look the same as the 6500, with only 3 wire connectors, hot, neutral & ground.

I believe the 6500 is 120V so you could use it but only one of the Hot legs would be connected. The 6000 is a split phase inverter and should have all 4 wire lugs available. Download the manual for the 6000EX and read the pages regarding the AC connections.

I believe the 6500 is 120V so you could use it but only one of the Hot legs would be connected. The 6000 is a split phase inverter and should have all 4 wire lugs available. Download the manual for the 6000EX and read the pages regarding the AC connections.
Thanks, I have downloaded the manuals & both talk about the black, red, white & ground wires. but I only see 3 terminals on the 6500. If I went to the 6500 setup, I would be doing (2) units for split phase 240, but then it becomes even more confusing how I would hook up a transfer switch.

I only see 3 terminals on the 6500.
Yes, because each inverter is only 120V, therefore only 3 wires needed. Similar to the idea of an RV plug the 30A version is 3 wire 120V while the 50A version is a 4 wire split phase 120/240V.
If I went to the 6500 setup, I would be doing (2) units for split phase 240, but then it becomes even more confusing how I would hook up a transfer switch.
Curious why you are leaning towards the 6500 vs. the 6000 which has the split phase functionality you need. In either case we can help sort out the wiring details. In the interest of not wasting time, I would suggest making a decision on which model you prefer then we could give very specific answers to your questions based on the inverter chosen and your particular situation as far as your existing electrical system.

See attached Pg 55 from the 6500 manual. Shows the wiring diagram for 2 inverters in split phase configuration. One Hot leg goes to the first inverter and the other Hot leg goes to the second inverter. Neutral is shared so you just need a proper distribution block.

Attachments

• Pg 55 6500.pdf
    672 KB · Views: 68
Yes, because each inverter is only 120V, therefore only 3 wires needed. Similar to the idea of an RV plug the 30A version is 3 wire 120V while the 50A version is a 4 wire split phase 120/240V.

Curious why you are leaning towards the 6500 vs. the 6000 which has the split phase functionality you need. In either case we can help sort out the wiring details. In the interest of not wasting time, I would suggest making a decision on which model you prefer then we could give very specific answers to your questions based on the inverter chosen and your particular situation as far as your existing electrical system.
Hello & thank you for the reply. I have decided on the 6000EX and would like to wire that into a 10 circuit transfer switch, just like this one. https://www.amazon.com/EGS107501G2K...b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&psc=1&smid=A7A1T04FNRIGU
Being it was said that the 6000EX has 4 wires , then probably taking the end off the cord that comes with the transfer box, might be all I need to do? Outside forces were pushing me to get (2) of the 6500 units for my 240v as the idle consumption was less. But actually two 6500 units use 160 watts in idle & the 6000 uses 135 watts. Anyway, I am will be going with the 6000EX.

The all_in_one contains an ATS=automatic transfer switch.
Why not just wire the converter in parallel to the all_in_one ac in?
Because I already have two other inverter units wired to transfer switches that are then wired to certain circuits in my main panel. If I wired the 6000ex into the full panel, then I am not sure what dangers that would pose when I switched on my other inverters when needed. I am only going to use the 6000EX to run my well pump at 240v. My other two inverters are handling my 110 circuits. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably get several of the 6500s or 6000's & just hook to the main panel, but too much invested already to start over.

Because I already have two other inverter units wired to transfer switches that are then wired to certain circuits in my main panel. If I wired the 6000ex into the full panel, then I am not sure what dangers that would pose when I switched on my other inverters when needed. I am only going to use the 6000EX to run my well pump at 240v. My other two inverters are handling my 110 circuits. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably get several of the 6500s or 6000's & just hook to the main panel, but too much invested already to start over.
I deleted my post because I misunderstood your use case.
I thought you had an RV :)
Sorry for the noise.

I also have 2 EG4 6500EX inverters with the main breaker panel approximately 25 ft from my critical loads panel and the critical load is 20 ft from the 2 inverters that will connect to the critical load. I've had several (not solar) electricians tell me I NEED a transfer switch but I believe it is built in to the EG4's. Which is correct - need one or not?
Also, Signature Solar has told me different answers on four occasions. Regarding the 200A DC breaker - I've been told the "load" side goes to the inverter and "line" goes to the battery and also the reverse - Which one is correct?

I also have 2 EG4 6500EX inverters with the main breaker panel approximately 25 ft from my critical loads panel and the critical load is 20 ft from the 2 inverters that will connect to the critical load. I've had several (not solar) electricians tell me I NEED a transfer switch but I believe it is built in to the EG4's. Which is correct - need one or not?
The EG4 6500EX is an OFF-GRID type inverter. The AC input connection from the main panel is one way. Grid AC can be used by the inverter to charge batteries or pass thru to power loads, it cannot send AC backwards into the grid for NET metering or sell back purposes. If the grid goes down, the critical loads are powered by the batteries and inverter but still there is no AC flowing backwards into the grid. This is a UL requirement. Technically, speaking you do not need a transfer switch to isolate the inverter from the main panel because it does have an internal disconnect.
Unfortunately, the local building department is allowed to adopt rules that are more stringent than the NEC, perhaps this is why the electrician said you needed a transfer switch. You should research this issue more thoroughly since the electrician is not an experienced solar installer.
Also, Signature Solar has told me different answers on four occasions. Regarding the 200A DC breaker - I've been told the "load" side goes to the inverter and "line" goes to the battery and also the reverse - Which one is correct?
Without having the breaker datasheet available its difficult to answer. A breaker between the battery and inverter should to be non-polarized since DC will be flowing both directions depending if the battery is charging or discharging.

Thank you Bentley . . . I'll be printing your answer out for my not-so-computer-savvy husband, but meanwhile I'd like to ask where you got YOUR manual because our page 55 is nothing like yours. I even went to the mfg page for downloads and it's the same as the one we have. The one you shared of page 55 is super helpful - thanks. *just a side note - we moved here to Oregon from Riverside 22 years ago.

I even went to the mfg page for downloads and it's the same as the one we have.
The EG4 6500EX manual is from the SignatureSolar website. I tried to attach it but the PDF is too large. Here is a link to Signature Solar where you can download a manual. Its not exactly the same as the one I used for page 55 but it contains a lot of info.

Thanks, I finally found it and now it's downloaded for future reference.

With all the discussion of transfer switches I wanted to share this wiring diagram someone else created. I have built 4 split phase systems using the eg6500's I have intercept the critical load from my main panel and move them into a sub panel fed by the inverters. After the fact I realized I would be in a bad spot if an inverter failed ... I would have to physically re-wire things to get power back since I use the grid in bypass when needed. I will be putting in either a transfer switch or rotary switch just in case an inverter fails I can flip a switch and have grid power back.

Attachments

• Grounding lv6548 and 6500EX-48.pdf
    576.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi Chris I may be too late, but adding another perspective to hopefully help. I wired in two new panels side by side from my existing “main” panel (see picture) The left panel is connected to the grid as AC input and is where my Neutral-Earth Ground is bonded. I added the double pole 60 breakers as inputs to my six inverters and two 100 amp breakers as a pass through to my new load panel. If inverters are down, I turn off the 60 Amp breakers and turn on the 100 amp breakers. On my inverter load panel it mirrors the same circuit breakers as the supply panel, with inverter AC output feeding each 60A breaker. In this setup a transfer switch is not needed, but does need a lockout kit. In my case a custom one was designed and breakers situated so the tabs force one set of breakers off before another set is turned on. This will ensure the grid is protected as well as electrical equipment.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 49D7E18F-5060-4919-8174-5B0BBB92DF45.jpeg
    49D7E18F-5060-4919-8174-5B0BBB92DF45.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 50
The EG4 6500EX is an OFF-GRID type inverter. The AC input connection from the main panel is one way. Grid AC can be used by the inverter to charge batteries or pass thru to power loads, it cannot send AC backwards into the grid for NET metering or sell back purposes. If the grid goes down, the critical loads are powered by the batteries and inverter but still there is no AC flowing backwards into the grid. This is a UL requirement. Technically, speaking you do not need a transfer switch to isolate the inverter from the main panel because it does have an internal disconnect.
Unfortunately, the local building department is allowed to adopt rules that are more stringent than the NEC, perhaps this is why the electrician said you needed a transfer switch. You should research this issue more thoroughly since the electrician is not an experienced solar installer.

Without having the breaker datasheet available its difficult to answer. A breaker between the battery and inverter should to be non-polarized since DC will be flowing both directions depending if the battery is charging or discharging.
I just received my ordered EG4 Split phase 6500ex kit. I have to get my system preapproved before connection to the grid by my ultility company. They want inf. on how it is an actual off -grid system yet have an AC input that can be used as a pass thru. I understand it has a transfer switch type disconnect internally, but I didn't find that in writing anywhere other here where you state it. When I asked SS about this exact issue, I also received different answers from 3 different employees. I also research the UL 1741 on the internet and couldn't find anywhere stating that having a. UL 1741 rating for an inverter proves that AC from that unit can not feed AC back like a hybrid or true grid linked system does, seeing these other systems seem to claim they have this rating also. I do see from the neutral wiring connection drawings in this forum how there is an internal type transfer switch in the 6500ex but in the pdf. file it doesn't show the original source of the drawings. If I could find a drawing or statement coming directly from Eg4 or SS, I could put that into my approval application. Does anyone know where I might find this inf. ?
Then when I read the Eg4 6500ex inverter manual it states in Operating modes -Line Mode - "" if "SUB" ( solar first) is selected as output source priority and solar energy is not sufficient to power the loads, solar energy and the utility provide the loads and charge the battery at the same time."" How can this be, if there is an internal transfer switch between Utility AC and inverter output--- am I missing something or is this a printing error? Sorry, so long.
If questioning why I bought the system before getting approval, I do have some good reasons and if I can't get approval, I have a different completely off grid location I can use the system. But I hope to use it at my home with Grid Utility AC first if possible.

Back