diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX maximum PV input confirmation

hookl

Can any owners of this EG4 branded AIO confirm whether the PV input maximum operating (not open circuit) voltage is rated for the entire device or each of it's two MPPTs? Page 8 of their manual includes a current rating of 18A x 2 where the "times two" indicates the max current spec applies to each MPPT (or potentially 36 amps when using both inputs). The voltage range of 90Vdc-450Vdc from that same document does not reference "times two" which leads me to believe the max voltage rating is combined for both inputs which seems like it would apply to scenarios where either one or both MPPTs are connected, correct?

Can any owners of this EG4 branded AIO confirm whether the PV input maximum operating (not open circuit) voltage is rated for the entire device or each of it's two MPPTs? Page 8 of their manual includes a current rating of 18A x 2 where the "times two" indicates the max current spec applies to each MPPT (or potentially 36 amps when using both inputs). The voltage range of 90Vdc-450Vdc from that same document does not reference "times two" which leads me to believe the max voltage rating is combined for both inputs which seems like it would apply to scenarios where either one or both MPPTs are connected, correct?

It's been discussed several times. They are completely separate devices. Each MPPT can be paneled up to 450Voc with temperature margin factored in (typically 15-20% lower than 450V as a max).

Thanks....so does that mean the rated PV input of 8000 watts is also applied to each MPPT?

My intent is to connect six Bluesun bifacial panels in series strings to each MPPT (12 total being connected to one inverter) which I measure 295 VOC per string on my multimeter in peak winter conditions (20 degrees F with snow on the ground). These panels could potentially produce between 460W - 575W assuming an unlikely full bifacial gain, but regardless that's 6900 W (= 575 x 12) so I'm safe there.

So to be clear (and not destroy the equipment as warned in the manual) .....I should not expect to have an issue with ~600 volts combined on a single 6500EX that will be split across both MPPT inputs, correct?

Thanks....so does that mean the rated PV input of 8000 watts is also applied to each MPPT?

No.

The maximum practical usable output would be

306Vmp * 18A = 5500W

Setting 02 has a maximum PV + AC charging current of 120A, so 120A is a hard limit coming from both MPPT to battery.

120A * 60V = 7200W

You may also be able to invert directly from high voltage PV to AC to get up to the 8000W limit, presumably 4000W from each MPPT.

My intent is to connect six Bluesun bifacial panels in series strings to each MPPT (12 total being connected to one inverter) which I measure 295 VOC per string on my multimeter in peak winter conditions (20 degrees F with snow on the ground).

You need to measure them at air temperature, not after they've heated in the sun. The biggest danger is when the panels are receiving enough ambient light to produce voltage, but not enough intensity to produce current, or they're being thermally cycled by partially cloudy conditions.

Regardless, you're nowhere near the 450V limit. You're good.

If you add panels in the future, best method is to use the panel's Voc rating and the Voc temperature coefficient to calculate your peak voltage.

These panels could potentially produce between 460W - 575W assuming an unlikely full bifacial gain, but regardless that's 6900 W (= 575 x 12) so I'm safe there.

So to be clear (and not destroy the equipment as warned in the manual) .....I should not expect to have an issue with ~600 volts combined on a single 6500EX that will be split across both MPPT inputs, correct?

You never combine voltages unless they're in series.

You have two 295Voc arrays connected to their own individual MPPT.

Bi-facial panels need at least 1m of open space behind them to benefit from backside gain, and they also need a reflective surface. On a clear sky winter day with snow on the ground with the panels at a steep tilt, you can get some really impressive gains. Most don't see that very often, or they don't configure their array that way.

Each mppt in the 6500 (2 separate trackers) can handle a max of 4000W within the constraints of 500v (max, 450v working) and 18a.

The wide range I'm assuming is designed to give you the flexibility to utilize all sorts of different pv strings to get you to that 4000W. Some panels might be in parallel which increases the amperage, some might be in series which increases the voltage. It all depends on the panels you're using and the string configuration.

If you go over 18a, the excess power will be clipped. While there's no listed "max amps" I wouldn't go much over the 18 because you're just wasting power and if you go too high, you have the potential to damage the equpiment.

The 500v limit is a hard limit. If you go over that for any string you'll let the magic smoke out of your inverter. Also make sure you take into account the temperature coefficient when you're calculating your max pv voltage. Colder temps will increase the voltage on your panels.

Back