diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500K Popping/Arcing Noises

DevSecOps

I have a new EG4 6500K connected to grid and batteries. The batteries are EG4 LL V2 48s.

When the batteries are 100% charged and the system is in bypass I get a clicking/arcing noise from the inverter. Here's the conditions:

Single inverter
AC Input from Grid
AC output works as it should
Battery to inverter works as it should
When charging batteries from the grid, no noise
When discharging batteries to the load center, no noise.
Noise is ONLY when in bypass on fully charged batteries, regardless of load on AC out
Batteries are connected to the inverter via the communication cable
No errors on batteries or inverter
Firmware updated on all batteries and inverter
There is NO PV connected at this time. It's basically a big battery backup until the weather here improves.

I have no idea what this is or if I should be concerned about it so I'm asking the community here. Everything works fine other than this issue.

Video of the noise and panel display:

I reached out to SignatureSolar for support on this and, without being too harsh, I haven't been able to get the stellar support that some rave about. Every 7 days I get an email reply asking for more pictures and videos, sometimes saying "please attach the following: <blank>" leaving me to wonder what they are even asking for.

Last edited:
Sounds like the bypass relay.
Clicking when changing state is expected.
Arcing noise is not good.

Sounds like the bypass relay.
Clicking when changing state is expected.
Arcing noise is not good.
Yeah well I'm just not sure what the noise is... I don't get any noise during charging other than the fans. The only clicking/arcing noise I hear is when it's in bypass.

Yeah well I'm just not sure what the noise is... I don't get any noise during charging other than the fans. The only clicking/arcing noise I hear is when it's in bypass.
No idea how to respond to this.

I watched the video. It doesn't sound like arcing to me. It sounds like a small relay clicking on and off uncontrollably. The pacing between the clicks is random and sometimes very fast, as if it wants to engage the relay but as soon as it does, something else is saying to let it go.
Does it do this with the battery comm cable disconnected? I'm wondering if the battery is trying to get it to do something that it doesn't want to do in bypass mode. That's just a guess though, I'm not familiar with this unit.

I have a new EG4 6500K connected to grid and batteries. The batteries are EG4 LL V2 48s.

When the batteries are 100% charged and the system is in bypass I get a clicking/arcing noise from the inverter. Here's the conditions:

Single inverter
AC Input from Grid
AC output works as it should
Battery to inverter works as it should
When charging batteries from the grid, no noise
When discharging batteries to the load center, no noise.
Noise is ONLY when in bypass on fully charged batteries, regardless of load on AC out
Batteries are connected to the inverter via the communication cable
No errors on batteries or inverter
Firmware updated on all batteries and inverter
There is NO PV connected at this time. It's basically a big battery backup until the weather here improves.

I have no idea what this is or if I should be concerned about it so I'm asking the community here. Everything works fine other than this issue.

Video of the noise and panel display:

I reached out to SignatureSolar for support on this and, without being too harsh, I haven't been able to get the stellar support that some rave about. Every 7 days I get an email reply asking for more pictures and videos, sometimes saying "please attach the following: <blank>" leaving me to wonder what they are even asking for.
That's a bypass relay. DM me your name and email address. We'll get this handled

It's interesting that Ben always uses "DM" me.
DM is Instagram speak but it has spread out to many other mediums and is now becoming common. It was always PM me before that.
DM = Direct Message Me
PM = Private Message Me

This has nothing to do with Ben, I am just observing this transition which I think Big Social Networking Platforms want to promote.
They say there is no difference between DM and PM but I think a judge would disagree.
If DM is used then IMHO it implies that there is no expectation of Privacy between the two parties while PM IMHO has a legal leg up in that area as it implies that the message is confidential and Private from the media operators or either party sharing the conversation with the public.
I know that vBulletin software would not allow the Admin or Moderators to view PM boxes but I have no idea if that still holds true with the more modern software.

I watched the video. It doesn't sound like arcing to me. It sounds like a small relay clicking on and off uncontrollably. The pacing between the clicks is random and sometimes very fast, as if it wants to engage the relay but as soon as it does, something else is saying to let it go.
Does it do this with the battery comm cable disconnected? I'm wondering if the battery is trying to get it to do something that it doesn't want to do in bypass mode. That's just a guess though, I'm not familiar with this unit.
I did try disconnecting the cable a few weeks ago as I thought the same and it didn't change. Additionally, with this inverter in EG4 battery mode, disconnecting the comms cable turns into an error as it's required so within a minute the inverter wasn't happy with me.

I've contacted Ben so we'll see how it goes. My biggest concern of course is safety. Clicking noises in electrical equipment aren't something I enjoy hearing. For the last couple weeks I've had it in SBU with a 20/95% cycle to prevent it from getting fully charged.

I did try disconnecting the cable a few weeks ago as I thought the same and it didn't change. Additionally, with this inverter in EG4 battery mode, disconnecting the comms cable turns into an error as it's required so within a minute the inverter wasn't happy with me.

I've contacted Ben so we'll see how it goes. My biggest concern of course is safety. Clicking noises in electrical equipment aren't something I enjoy hearing. For the last couple weeks I've had it in SBU with a 20/95% cycle to prevent it from getting fully charged.
If you take out the comms cable you can move to USE mode and it won't give you the beeping and 61 code. I've passed your info on to the tech supervisor so he can get a handle on your issue.

It's interesting that Ben always uses "DM" me.
DM is Instagram speak but it has spread out to many other mediums and is now becoming common. It was always PM me before that.
DM = Direct Message Me
PM = Private Message Me

This has nothing to do with Ben, I am just observing this transition which I think Big Social Networking Platforms want to promote.
They say there is no difference between DM and PM but I think a judge would disagree.
If DM is used then IMHO it implies that there is no expectation of Privacy between the two parties while PM IMHO has a legal leg up in that area as it implies that the message is confidential and Private from the media operators or either party sharing the conversation with the public.
I know that vBulletin software would not allow the Admin or Moderators to view PM boxes but I have no idea if that still holds true with the more modern software.
I don't anticipate that a judge would get involved. I do intend to share the information with the tech or customer service teams. I typically make this request so forum members are able to protect their identity and contact information from being public on the forum.

I assume the mods of this forum would have back end access to Direct or Private messages shared here. If I need to switch the request to make members here feel more comfortable I have no problem in doing so.

Obviously not in this case, but there are times that forum members don't feel comfortable posting set up pics or anything that might bring scrutiny from other forum members as some people here tend to be very harsh when they see mistakes. A great number of people here are beginners and don't feel like asking certain questions in a public setting.

I don't anticipate that a judge would get involved. I do intend to share the information with the tech or customer service teams. I typically make this request so forum members are able to protect their identity and contact information from being public on the forum.

I assume the mods of this forum would have back end access to Direct or Private messages shared here. If I need to switch the request to make members here feel more comfortable I have no problem in doing so.

Obviously not in this case, but there are times that forum members don't feel comfortable posting set up pics or anything that might bring scrutiny from other forum members as some people here tend to be very harsh when they see mistakes. A great number of people here are beginners and don't feel like asking certain questions in a public setting.
No, my comments have nothing to do with your DM's for getting contact info to do your job.
It just happened you mentioned it again and I was wondering why the Internet in general is shifting away from the PM acronym to DM.
I know that nothing in the internet industry happens in a vacuum and I suspect it's because larger media corporations are shoring up themselves against possible lawsuits.

If I was Jury member and someone was suing a social media entity for leaking a Direct Message I would probably side with the media entity because it does not imply privacy. If the Media entity labeled it as Personal Message then I would probably side with the plaintiff as it does imply privacy.

That's a bypass relay. DM me your name and email address. We'll get this handled

I got a full rack of batteries and a 12K growatt from you guys, the internal growatt battery charger threw sparks after about 30 seconds of use and I wasn't happy with how it handles neutral bonding so I bought 2 6500s. BOTH of them are doing this clicking noise in bypass mode (batteries in USE mode at 38% SOC) so I currently have three unusable inverters. At least unusable for bypass mode they all actually work just fine for inverting. Gotta say I'm wishing I had never started this project. ?

Did you ever get the issue sorted for OP?

Back