diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Generator Boost - Maximum output still limited to inverter rating?

BlackOilCoder

I'm looking to build an inverter system designed to boost my F150 PowerBoost (hybrid) with a 7200W generator. I'm currently running this setup at my house via a 3-wire neutral switching transfer switch. It's actually been active since last Thursday night due to the unexpected tornado/derecho that de-wrecko'ed the place.

Obviously my 7200W generator will not start my 3Ton downstairs unit. I have a Hyper Engineering SureStart coming, but I seriously doubt that even with that in place it will start.

What I'd like to have is an inverter setup that allows generator boost capabilities to handle surges and to provide limited support for continuous demand beyond the generator capacity. An analysis of my last summer's usage (based on 15 min kwh update from my meter available online), indicates that I should be able to get there with only 100Ah.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced system here as it's for emergencies only. I've considered something like the Sigineer (and other similar Chinese units) 6000W unit that handles surges up to 18,000W for 20 seconds; however, these units perform a switch over in (supposedly) 6 to 10 milliseconds. I don't really know how that would effect a motor starter, but I suspect it would not be amazing. Additionally, I prefer to have listed equipment handling power loads like this in my house.

I really like the Victron Multi-Plus power assist feature as I've seen lots of information that the function is able to ADD to the total available output power up to the AC Bypass limit. That said, I'd have to buy 2 x 3000W units to achieve what I want.

Notionally, if the EG4 6000XP works in a similar way and works ADDITIVELY to the generator capacity, it would likely be perfect for my needs. Also cheaper and purpose designed for the US split phase 60Hz market. I can not find this information however. I sent EG4 a tech support request, but I don't know if the web form is truly monitored or not and this group seems to have the most knowledge on the subject around the internet.

I would consider other units as well if I'm missing some besides the Victron and EG4 with true generator boost, I'd like to know. If anyone as used the Chinese 6000W inverters successfully to handle surge loads, that would be good info as well, but honestly for the price, the EG4 6000XP offers way more for the money assuming it can work how I need.

I think one or the other has to be able to handle the surge. Or, an inverter that can supplement the generator, and you only need 25-50% of the generator output.

The problem is how fast you need that power, and for such a short period of time. The generator needs time to ramp up from 0% output to 80+% output, and by that time it is too late.

6000xp doesn't supplement generator. The 3000 watt version does supplement power (last I looked).

Back